Fairmont Park

KarKraft

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to show this week, just some little additions to the inside of Murray's Corner. In the background you can see what will be McPhillamy/Reid Park. Its much larger than anything I've done to date, so it may take a while to update.

DSCF0262.JPG

Kalbfellp - I found the electric knife and you're spot on. It carves neatly through the beads with minimum mess. Trouble is its cordless and the battery is flat as a tack. Hopefully it holds its charge after 18 years!

Looks great! What did you use for the fence posts? Are they actual twigs, or is all that modelled?

And those drums are spot on... what are they?

Can't wait to see what you do with McPhillamy/Reid Park!!!

Dick

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Dick - the fence posts are cut from sticks I found on the ground outside work. About 10mm thick. Cut to to length and then run a saw blade along the length to rough them up for texture. Takes a bit of work for a small result but they're part of the rural look of Bathurst.

The drums are from a small Tamiya 1:35 military refueling set. Somewhere around $5-$8 gets you six drums and about sixteen jerry cans. Paint 'em up and throw on some Monogram decals.

I was lucky enough that work sent me to Bathurst for an overnight job a week or so ago. Did a lap of the track and took some photos of the scenery elements and ten shots of the background panorama. Its weird... I've been going there taking photos of cars for about 20 years, but rarely photos of the trackside. Funny how it changes your focus.

Bet you never knew marshals posts were this purty.

DSCF0238.JPG

This is something I'll have to try. maybe with vines instead of apple trees.

DSCF0267.JPG

Here's some trees for you to model Dick!

DSCF0260.JPG

DSCF0264.JPG

Edited by KarKraft

You lucky, lucky b*st*rd....

Looks like the Holden sign on top of the rise on Mountain Straight...

DSCF0238.JPG

Thanks for this pic....looks like a l-o-t of tall grass there... see your efforts in a year!!! :lol:

DSCF0260.JPG

Ahhh... yes, I know this corner well... sat there 3 years in a row.

Great rock walls to model here.

DSCF0264.JPG

I'd love to go for a drive up there and walk around (my year's excercise!!!) and take some pics.

Thanks KarKraft!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

I'd love to go for a drive up there and walk around (my year's excercise!!!) and take some pics.

Thanks KarKraft!

That trip is already booked again, campsite alocated behind the pits, take bus in the morning and spent the day on top of the mountain (inside of course).

What else would you want to do on Bathurst weekend?

Ahhh yeah, go down the Island the week before, for the Moto GP.

Dick,

let me know what photos you want, might fit in between the 1000 photos I will take. :P:lol::P

"If one does not fail at times,

then one has not challenged himself."

Ferdinand Porsche

There's no better sight than that in motorsport IMHO! :( :(

Dick, just add cars into photos!! :D:D

Got too many to add, you might need to stop by one day. :D

As for the drive up, be on the hume early wednesday morning,

as for Shane, I know a few 53' brothers that go up the mountain as well, so you be carred for too.

Might get bumpy when we cross white knuckle bridge. :PB):D^_^:D

Ferdinand Porsche

Got too many to add, you might need to stop by one day.

That'd be nice ... I'm sure you've got a story or two to tell!

Dick,

don't you know,

what happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain.

And the rest are just straight lies. ;) :arggg: :(

Ferdinand Porsche

• 1 month later...

OK, it's been a while, but SWMBO :huh: was questioning why these creative urges weren't being seen in the yard.

Also I've done some track extension as prompted by Eno early in the thread, and cut some unnecessary wood out of the base. That meant some time-consuming carpentry work.

Anyways, here is my Reid Park. On this track, you might remember it comes around close behind the pits.

DSCF0325.JPG

I still need to add a flaggies post, spectator fences, trees, shrubs, puffer grass and billboards, but I was keen to post something up and keep the thread alive.

DSCF0326.JPG

If you can hold out for a few more weeks, I will be up there again soon.

But this time with the measuring tape, to measure up the flag point.

If you need any specific photo, I am more than happy to help, might even have one already.

Ferdinand Porsche

Thanks for the offer Pitlane. I'll be there myself from Thursday of raceweek. How long have you been taking photos? How far back?

My flaggie post are kind of 'impressionist', since I've noticed that most old photos show them standing behind single-rail Armco or on top of embankments! The only one that I recall that is like mine, was the one above Forrests Elbow and on Mountain Straight.

Thanks Shane, its always motivating to get some encouragement :huh:

its always motivating to get some encouragement

Yes it is... but I don't think you need encouragement KK, you're doing a splendid job on your own!

How are you achieving the 'rock face' look? Are you using plaster for your scenery?

I love the old pits..... I'm swaying towards them for my track... the early 70's is becoming the way to go.

Back to your track though, I am getting old pics (from 1960>) sent to me by pitlane3, kelbfellp and Alan Stubbings... if they don't mind I can share them with you...?

Keep up the great work! (was wondering what had happenned)

Dick

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

@knoath. I am using methods similar to Brad Korando. Styrofoam slabs either sloped or layered and then carved, usually with an electric knife (thanks kalbfellp). For the rock face, I then:

- rough it up with a serrated bread knife

- coat with sloppy gyprock filler

- undercoat with dirt-coloured paint

- sprinkle with dirt-coloured grout

- paint using model railroad scenics techniques

This time I tried mixing a dollop of acrylic art paint in a small cap of metho. I used a small brush to gather up paint from the bottom of the mix and spread it in spots. I tried to get dark colours (black and burnt sienna) into the cracks and light colours (terracotta and umber) onto the highlights. At first it looked very spotty, but some over-brushing and the metho helped to blend it. More @rse than proper technique. :) It happens so much better and quicker on the Woodland Scenics video...

People are asking for pictures, so for the next batch I'll do my version of a 'how-to'.

Edited by KarKraft

• 6 months later...
Hey, its been a while, but at last I have an update.

Here is the new McPhillamy section:

DSCF0418.JPG

And from the Skyline end:

DSCF0415.JPG

I plan to add more bits, like a hotdog stand, trees and fences.

That looks great Karkraft well done ,keep up the good work you gave me alot of ideas where did you find the people from I been looking everywhere for some different ones

Cheers

Ghost

Here is how I went about it. Image intensive (sorry dial-up guys)

First, rough shape the foam to sit on the MDF base:

DSCF0359.JPG

Then fill the gaps, shape further, rough up the embankment with a knife and steel brush :

DSCF0368.JPG

Coat with goop and paint an earthy colour:

DSCF0374.JPG

Once the track is masked, bare dirt is added by painting with diluted PVA (left) and sprinkling on coloured grout (right):

DSCF0379.JPG

Here is a close up of the embankment prior to grouting:

DSCF0383.JPG

Then after grouting and painting with art paint diluted with metho and blobbed on in three dirt shades, starting from dark to light. Later, grass is added with three shades and textures of scenic turf:

DSCF0414.JPG