Fairmont Park

KarKraft

Overhanging shrubs - That's quite the quandary. We went with lichen mostly on my brothers track for overhanging shrubs... there should be pics of it on his thread (WA track).

My only experience is from working on my brothers track so appologies if I'm making too much refernce to that... anyway...

From working on Dave's track I found the most useful Woodland Scenic stuff to be their clumping folliage (Can't rememeber the exact name,but it's something like that)... it comes in a bag and the pieces are about the size of 2 or 3 ice cubes each... You've got to shape it and rip it a bit. It's good for building up a bit of dense bushery or a good base to make detailed scenery.

I found lichen to be good for overhanging fences and a little bit here and there to texture the clumping folliage. Because we had little modelling experience to begin with (sounds like you may be in the same boat from the title of your thread), we learnt as we went along. Looking back, the early bits of scenery we probably used way too much lichen - which I don't think looks as natural as our later stuff.

Later on, I found David had two bags of coarse turf, which I hadn't used before. If you are going for a bathurst, forest elbow vibe, I'd be recommending that product underneath some scarcely spaced trees... I like the coarse turf because it gives more of a 3D texture to your landscape as opposed to looking flat. I think guys like Brad Korando from slotforum.com hook into a lot of that gear. Dave's track has got it across the road from the ninco tower (behind the concrete barrier in the middle of the track if you wanted a look... olive green looking stuff).

Anyway - Your scenery is looking great and it looks like you know what you are doing. Just haven't seen new pics in a while (no pressure champ).

Edited by Captain

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see some new shots from one of the gents that convinced me to give it a try, KK.

What've you used for the hedging (?) behind the Better Brakes boards?

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Thanks Embs and Rhino!

Say Rhino, have you seen a yellow Pontiac with Vic plates 'RHINO'? I see it at Bathurst once a year.

Embs - necessity is the mother of invention. If you went back to the first posts of this thread, the Dipper didn't exist. When I added it later, it slightly overhung the table sides, so I added a curved piece of 3mm mdf as a border and painted it green. To it I stuck the signage, fence and small pieces of Woodland Scenics Clump Foliage. Some of the clumps have been 'dusted' with WS Burnt Turf to try to vary the foliage in the hedge, although you can't notice it in the photos.

Nicely disguised addition/overhang. Don't suppose you've got an updated layout of where you've added the extra track in. 2+ years from the beginning are you still satisfied with the Ninco track and plastic?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Cheers Dick ;)

Embs - I originally went for Ninco as it was wider than Scaley, and Armchair Racer used it for one of their store tracks. It was the right decision at the time and I still stand by that. However, I've seen two drawbacks.

Firstly, it has a very coarse, grippy surface, which does not promote controlled slides. For that reason alone, I will go routed next time.

Secondly, I started with a Pro-Am set and added track pieces. For some reason, some of the added pieces have seen Ninco's 'special' slot guide deform and close up, causing cars to slow in some places. As a matter of routine I now put paddle-pop sticks in the slots when it is not in use. It's a pain.

• 1 month later...

Love the farm cottage. There's more than a few around here just like it. Nice job KK.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

does Jimmy live on Copperhead Road ?

You know him?

He bought a second-hand XR Falcon from some silver-haired fella named Firth. Only done 1000 miles. Told him the local coppers in their minis don't stand a chance. All Jimmy knows is, when you take out the back seat, its got loads of room, and the 289 really hauls the 'mail'.

Edited by KarKraft

• 4 weeks later...

That's your best work so far, by far!!!

Reminds me of the orchard down in Maine... Dicken's orchard where they make Dicken's Cider!!!

I love a good Dicken's Cider!!!

My wife doesn't let me go a day without a Dicken's Cider!

:) :huh2:

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks Dick!

I must admit it was inspired by your own work and the Dicken's Cider brand. I was going for a grain crop, but I screwed up on the Faller grain sheet, that I didn't like anyway. Your vineyard looked the duck's guts and with the Bathurst farms being orchards, it fell into place.

Cool! But you gotta tell us how you made those awesome trees mate!!!

IMG_0363.jpg

And I love the color of the dirt amongst the grass between the trees... just blends perfectly!

Well done!

Edited by knoath

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Looks fantastic KK. Really great job. Orchard, machinery shed, cottage. Noice. :lol:

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Thanks. So am I. :lol:

Proxy car's gone now I'm hoping to get back into the track soon.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Man what amazing attention to detail. Enjoyed looking at the cars on track too, obviously a Moffat/Ford fan. :(

Track is awesome, gotta post a vid of cars going around it when its done. Love how you kept it to the 1970's theme too, watching this years 1000 made me think that the modern Mount Panorama track has lost its rustic charm with all the concrete barriers that adorn the track nowadays. You have re-created that charm so good on ya!

Cheers,

Tony.

Classics in plastic -|- Old skool is cool -|- Driving my muscle car like a shooting star!

• 2 weeks later...