Well That Was A Waste Of Time

Yngwie

Hey guys. I was just wondering. I went out bought my youngest a SCX Peugeot 307 from HobbyCo today. (It was cheap). Anyhoo, upon arrival, the car has an axle which is almost at right angles, a wheel hub is cracked and the thing is as loud as Metallica live. I have run it around the track a couple of times and opened it up to see what the problem was to discover it in all its glory. Now, I know this is a cheap car and you get what you pay for but I dont really want to be buying new axles, wheels, gears for a $29 car? However, my little bloke is shattered as his brothers goes great. Has anybody returned a badly deformed car after running it around for a maximum of 10 laps?

Regards

Had a similar problem with an SCX car. Retailer wouldn't exchange the car, even 'tho the car couldn't complete half a lap without a wheel falling off (literally).

The retailer gave me the name of the state rep who then gave me the name and contact number of the national rep. From here, SCX were fantastic. The car was sent back and replaced. Both the state rep and the guy who worked on the car phoned me to make sure everything was ok. Great service. Couldn't complain about that.

Disappointed about the retailer 'tho. Maybe my dealings with the SCX mob have been better than his.

My advice ... take it back. You should be covered because the item doesn't work the way it should. If the retailer won't oblige, move up the food chain. That's what consumer protection is all about and my experience with SCX shows they'll stand behind their product.

... and being on sale makes no difference.

Yeah there is a retail term thats imbedded in law called "DOA"

If its Dead on arrival straight out of the box...............they must give you your money back...........unless it was on sale because it was faulty.......but they would have had to have made you aware of this!

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

I've always found that if the car is buggered on arrival the retailer guys will replace / refund.

If you do have trouble I believe you have recourse to fair trade legislation as they're physically in Australia.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Ok thanks guys. Will go back tomorrow and return the thing. Has tuned me off SCX cars though.

Give them a second chance, you may have got a "Friday afternoon" one. I have a 3 very good SCX cars, Chevy Nascar, Ferrari 360 and Audi DTM, all cars have the 42B motor and are very competitive with stock parts, MJK tyres and the normal weight and truing tricks. For the price they are value for money IMO. You have probably just got a dud on this occasion, they all aren't that bad.

Normal people worry me

Ok thanks guys. Will go back tomorrow and return the thing. Has tuned me off SCX cars though.

Dont be discouraged, SCX have come along way in the last 2-3 year's plus, and i for one will be buying more.

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Dont be discouraged, SCX have come along way in the last 2-3 year's plus, and i for one will be buying more.

I bought one and have been less than impressed, noisy & very slow, can almost run the Engleman flat out, no braking.

Doubtful if I'd buy another

Cheers

Glenn

Cheers

Glenn

I bought one and have been less than impressed, noisy & very slow, can almost run the Engleman flat out, no braking.

Cheers

Glenn

Isn't that a comletely not a home use track though?? Horses for Horsey tracks buddy..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

The standard F1 motors are not to flash replace it with a turbo pro and wind the voltage up to 14V all SCX cars are ment to run at 14V the pro speed motors run at 18V I have had many dealings with SCX and find them to now be a very high standard

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn,

Try running for 2-3 hrs on 4 volts plus a bit of JIF on the gear's the F1's alot of the noise come's from the front end.

Also glue in the rear axle

This should make a differance.

Dick,

I have around 10 now only because they are a reasonable car these day's,the nascar's were fantastic around the kingleman at the nat's.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn,

Try running for 2-3 hrs on 4 volts plus a bit of JIF on the gear's the F1's alot of the noise come's from the front end.

Also glue in the rear axle

This should make a differance.

Dick,

I have around 10 now only because they are a reasonable car these day's,the nascar's were fantastic around the kingleman at the nat's.

Thanks Dave, I have tried the running, but not with jif (or equiv), had shied away due to a bad experience, it disintergrated the crown gear of another brand.

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn,

If you have gone through 2 crown's allready you might have an allignment problem or a faulty pinion, try a replacemant pinion (plafit 50 cents each).

No No , single crown was a different car

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, I have another SCX car which is not too bad but still makes that infernal racket out of the gears. Tried toothpaste and did nothing (probably wrong kind of toothpaste, what with being green and all HA!). Someone mentioned using Jif. Is this for real and if so how much do I put on, for how long?

Regards

The idea of using Jif, or similar, is 'cos it is an abrasive type paste and can act like sandpaper between the crown and pinion thus causing it to "bed" and mesh a lot better. Most toothpastes aren't abrasive enough to have any cutting action.

I did this to a slot-it I have and it is the quietest thing I have ever heard :huh: . Less noise means less friction means more speed and power. It is great to drive a smooth running car.

Normal people worry me

SCX pop the axles in by hand, this invariably ends up bending at least one of the axles, and sometimes breaking a wheel.

The engines DON'T like oil on the commutator end bell, it WILL destroy them, NEVER EVER do this.

The worst cars they produce have been the DTM cars like the Audi, and the Opel mostly due to poor tyres and bad matching of the gear ratios to tyre sizes.

SCX have always had a quality problem, I have seen cars with engines that will knock your socks off, and engines that you wouldn't spit on.

However, there are a lot of good things about SCX too.

They are cheap. Reliable when you get them sorted, parts are VERY cheap, when I buy a car to race I always pick up a pair of complete axles, at least I know they haven't been pressed into the chassis and bent, yet. This gives me a spare set of tyres, bearings and wheels to play around with too.

They are incredibly easy to work on and the level of detail is excellent.

And talking as a racer, they produce the best 32nd scale race cars in the world bar none. They are fast, have plenty of torque, look great, cheap to buy, easy to work on, respond brilliantly to tuning and in my experience hold most club track records in Canberra apart from some larger wooden layouts.

The fact is when I race I tune every car no matter what the brand, so price and ease of parts is a lot more important than out of the box performance.

Sure I've had cars that do nothing straight out of the box, but after an afternoon of tuning and running, (what more fun is there anyway) they are always great, and when I bother to spend a bit more time and boil the chassis, as well as run the motor in properly by taking it out of the chassis and connecting it to a 3v power source and running it for about six hours, well they are brilliant.

I would say that after a lot of club racing and some collecting, SCX are by FAR my FAVOURITE cars, Ninco run a close second but that's only because they make such good motors, THEY need a LOT more tuning than SCX....and they cost a LOT more too, even after I invest in a spare set of axles....Ninco tyres always need replacing anyway....