melrock

Controllers For Kids

just wondering whether anyone has tried mounting a resistor inside a controller (specifically for kids) to reduce the max power and a simple solution if you don't have a variable power supply ....In theory it should work...shouldn't it ?

the rubber band round the controller has dis-advantages in that they get hot and most kids soon work out if they move the rubber band they go faster!!!(funny about that)

graeme

Most home controllers are about 45 ohms. So how far are the kids pressing down on the controller? Half way or 2/3 of the way? If about half way then put a 20 ohm resistor in series with the wire wound resistor. If 2/3 of the way then get a 12 or 15 ohm resistor. A ceramic wire wound 5W resistor should be OK and not too big so that you should be able to find somewhere to place it in a controller.

How old are your kids? My 3 year old has got the hang of it after a while. He actually realises that the position of his finger influences the speed of the car and has slowed down so that he doesnt come off in the corners. Mind you it took a few broken spoilers before he got the concept of slowing down.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

................Mind you it took a few broken spoilers before he got the concept of slowing down.

cheers

rick1776

Rick, there's plenty of the "big kids" that don't seem to made that association yet............................ :unsure::P

As to the inline resistor/pot, depends on whether it's plastic/magnet or wood track, I would have thought about 5 ohms for plastic with magnets, 10 for wood, SHOULD be enough in series.

Think of the "start speed" of a 10 ohm controller for the sort of cars they are driving, that's perhaps about half speed for a scaley car on wood, and maybe 5 ohms when you have the magnets holding the car on, and slowing it down, so if they are getting zip throgh to max half speed, that should do most kids.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

More for friends and visitors kids who are only going to use it occasionally

because all kids want to have a go, and i never want to discourage a future enthusiast!!

...but it sounds feasible

graeme

how would a old volume knob thingy from a old stereo work put in the hand control line-wire itself work ?

...or maybe an old light dimmer....

...would that work??

I installed such a device in the drivers station on the rally track ...... works a treat, i call it the "wimp switch" ........ It's just a pod connected to the power coming in, and with it you can adjust the voltage on some of the more uncontrollable cars.

WimpSwitch.jpg

Edited by gazza

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I use a rotary switch, CAT. NO. SR1210, that I got from Jaycar wired up with diodes. Placed in the circuit on the +ve it limits the maximum speed and as they get better you can turn it down to increase the speed in small increments.

I found the idea on the forum in Reducing Power To The Track in Workshop. The link in slotbakers message gives full details.

Edited by mtpanorama

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it people will eventually come to believe it." - Joseph Goebbels

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

I use a rotary switch, CAT. NO. SR1210, that I got from Jaycar wired up with diodes. Placed in the circuit on the +ve it limits the maximum speed and as they get better you can turn it down to increase the speed in small increments.

I found the idea on the forum in Reducing Power To The Track in Workshop. The link in slotbakers message gives full details.

Here's a link on how to make the rotary switch using diodes, they work well.

http://homepage.mac.com/pmarchand/cheap_an..._adjustable.htm

I just turn the voltage down at the power box.
if you don't have a variable power supply

graeme

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

I just turn the voltage down at the power box.
if you don't have a variable power supply

graeme

Don't mind me - sometimes I'm not as clever as I am on other days..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I solved my problem with ARTIN cars . There cheap and practably indestructable.My kids have one each ,that way they learn how to handle power and set up of there own car, there friends to only drive the Artin cars , if there good enough you determine if to let them loose with your FLY cars :huh::):o

CHEERS CRAIG

Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

I use a brass rod drilled through the parma casing, its good cause I just remove the pin and adults can use it.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I use a brass rod drilled through the parma casing, its good cause I just remove the pin and adults can use it.

wouldn.t the controller still get warm?the same as if you use a rubber band ...i was thinking more of fitting a small resistor (or something) inside a controller so it still works the same but max throttle is reduced to say 10 volts ...

graeme