terry

Uop Shadow Rebuild

I'm presently rebuilding a scalextric UOP Shadow F1,the original car was a bit ordinary and I'm trying to bring it up to a more realistic look.

I've done a few body mods and tossed out the original running gear,but I now need to start the chassis and before I start I will need to get the wheels sorted,I'll be needing alloys.

119332411_o.jpg

this is the original model

airboxdone.jpg

I fitted a new airbox and extended the nose.

The queery I have is does anyone know where I can get alloys for older F1 cars,the original wheels measure(rears) 14mm wide 12mm in diameter,fronts are silly,too small,but could be 8mm wide 12mm diameter.

Anyone have any idea where I might get these from?I'll also be after wheel inserts,probably the 4 spoke MacLaren type would do.

Thanks for any help.

Terry

Almost forgot,can anyone help with 1/32 drivers?where can I get those from as well?

Edited by terry

Terry,

Maybe Al Penrose might have something to suit. I've used his wheels and find them to be really good. He also does McLaren type inserts to suit. Are you looking for a full length driver?

Alan Stubbings

Hi Alan,

the driver would need to be 3/4 at least as I'm sure his legs will be seen.

I'll have to give Al a email,as I find it difficult to understand his wheel sizes from his web page.

Terry

Terry

The Slot.it F1 wheels are 14.4mm dia X 12mm wide.

They also do aluminium wheels for the front of the 312 PB but they are now shown on the Armchair site. They do have them in stock though as I have been scoping them for a Revell Cortina. They measure 12mm dia X 8mm wide which is slightly smaller in diameter but they do look quite close. i can't find a part no for the Aluminium fronts anywhere but they are definitley available.

Patto's has some decals for the UOP shadow unless youre into making your own. Technically speaking the airbox did have a small overhang at the rear just like scaly cast it. The front end was a lot more shallow on the real car, that large hump was put in there to accommodate the guide flag. I dont think the nose was that long?? The scaly car is based on the 73 DN1 car.

Ive got three of these and have been tempted to make them more realistic.

If you want some photos to make it as realistic as possible go to,

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo_f1.html

Click on the 1973 season and scroll through the photos to get the car you want. The 73 cars were driven by George Follmer and Jackie Oliver. Graeme Hill drove the Embassy sponsered white Shadow.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

jackieolivershadowjpg.jpg

I have this pic saved from some time ago and it does appear that the nose section is extended far more than the scaley version.

In the past I've used milliput,and I will with the airbox,that still needs a bit of a touch up,but the nose section has been extended with Evergreen and Selleys Plasti Bond,which I'm using for the first time,so far I've been very impressed!

Steve Bushell from the NSW Central Coast has been telling me for ages now that its the best,should have taken more notice earlier,anyone who knows Steves' work will know what level of work he puts out!

I think I'll be going with BWA wheels and inserts,and I'm keen to try the 3/4 driver,if necessary I can always trim the legs down a bit,but I have a Ninco man here and that seems to be a good fit.

Thanks for all the input.

Terry

1973voi-shadowdn1.jpg

Edited by terry

shadowoldandmodified.jpg

After a little time away I've now managed to get a bit more work done on the Shadow,after realising that the scaley car was a little short I also realised that the front wings were far too far back,so I ripped them off with the dremel and drilled locating holes into the ends of the winglets and corresponding spots on the body,fitted small pieces of piano wire into the holes and glued wings to body,first time that I've tried this and didn't turn out too bad.

I've also reshaped the airbox with milliput,now its pretty close to the real thing.

noseandwingsdone.jpg

Enjoying this, it takes my mind off the poor results I'm achieving so far in the 2008DUPR!

terry

Edited by terry

I just saw this post and I am looking forward to the finished product. As far as wheels go, why not just use the Scalextric McLaren M23 wheels and tires. They might not be exact but I bet they would look great. Let's see an update when you get a chance. I have this car in my projects bin and will be following your progress.

Hi Jay,always like your work,in some respects your BT44(??),was one good reason to resurrect these old bangers.

I'm still waiting for wheels from BWA,so as soon as they get hete I'll start on the chassis.

Terry

Just a little update.

Still waiting for my wheels and tyres!

Its' killing me all this waiting,maybe I should have gone for the M23 wheels from scaley,now that I've discovered Electric Dreams,who carry all those scaley spares and offer great service,certainly my next F1 will be done with those thoughts in mind!

terry

Terry,

What size wheels are you waiting on. I have some BWA's I haven't used yet. I might be able to help.

Alan Stubbings

Thanks for the kind offer stubbo,but I've bitten the bullet and have a set of scaley MacLarenM23 wheels on their way.

I've also been having a good look at the front end of the Shadow and realised that the front axle is too close to the cockpit,so I'll have to block off the old axle holes and relocate new ones.

Terry

nofront.jpg

After looking at a few old pics of the Shadow,I've filled in the old front axle holes and am about to cut out for some new ones,much closer to the front wings.

Terry

bt44a.jpg

my next build

Edited by terry

Very cool wonderful way to bring a new life to an old car am looking forward to further updates

Reality what a concept

V32 member Slightly one eyed Ford fan

Trying to perfect the obscure art of Zen slot car racing

Are you going to do the Goerge Folmer, Jackie Oliver (black cars) or the white Embassy Graeme Hill car?

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

hillensign.jpg

Hi Rick,

I'd like to do this one as its a bit different,if I can get the correct decals it would be even better,I'll have to check Pattos',I know he does the black cars,but I haven't looked for these ones.

Terry

Nice work Terry

Makes me wish I had the time and patience to do work like this

Cheers Mate

Keep it in the groove

Pete

Thats one of the few good things about retiring work early,having lots of time for my slots,no money,but lots of time.

terry

shadowchassis.jpg

After numerous false starts in waiting for chassis and wheel components,I eventually went down the scaley path of using the MaclarenM23 chassis.

Some modifications are still to be done,but I now have a chassis under the car,now I find that some body mods will be needed as well,but I'm quite happy with the results so far.

Terry

Sorry about the mess on the workbench??

Edited by terry

Looking good,can't wait to see the finished product.Ihave a couple of shadows in original condition from my first set i bought back in the 70's.They're certainly fun to drive for an old beast.

Good luck with the mods,hope to see more pics soon.cheers col.

Terry thats looking quite brilliant congrats and lets see some more shots as the build progress's :lol:

'The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

www.capricornmedia.com.au On-line DVD sales