Solar Powered Slot Track

4 replies to this topic

#1 Holty

Lost Cause

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

With my slot car track set up in the shed that has no AC power, I installed it with a car battery. This meant recharging it with a 25m lead down to the house every couple of weeks. So I've decided to worship the sun and have installed an ICP Sunsei solar panel I bought from Dick Smiths. It is rated at 6 Watts and is designed to keep car/tractor/boat batteries trickle charded.
Posted Image
This has been temporarily mounted at the side of the shed ( I don't want to drill holes in the roof just yet ). Even with it only facing the afternoon sun it does a good job of keeping the charge in the battery. Admittedly I only run 2 lanes without magnets so I don't draw too heavily on the battery, but this setup works fine.
Some views of the track inside the shed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
So if you are like me in an unpowered shed, consider the sun :huh: .

#2 imugford

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

there's one for using your brains !!!

#3 munter

re member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Love your setup and love your "green"idea.
John Warren
Slotcars are my preferred reality

#4 teamredracing

2013 winner of my Rally

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

That'll shut those tree huggin greenies up :rolleyes: :lol: .Good for you Holty trying to stop the ozone from fallin in on us .Just hope you dont put on a race night where a dozen fuming gas guzzlers come over to stuff up your great idea :) :lol: .
Just thinking that Lavalaar has the same prob with his rally track in the back shed. Long lead from the house aint very safe. If you've got no probs running two lanes he shouldn't have any worries running one lane. Might be worth while letting him no about this.
Cheers Craig
Craig

"You can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

#5 Ontheflipside

IQ test result - Negative :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

View Postteamredracing, on Mar 24 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

That'll shut those tree huggin greenies up :angry: :angry: .Good for you Holty trying to stop the ozone from fallin in on us .Just hope you dont put on a race night where a dozen fuming gas guzzlers come over to stuff up your great idea :o :o .
Just thinking that Lavalaar has the same prob with his rally track in the back shed. Long lead from the house aint very safe. If you've got no probs running two lanes he shouldn't have any worries running one lane. Might be worth while letting him no about this.
Cheers Craig

Reckon Lav must be still trying to upgrade :lol:

Holty - what green star rating does this have?

Edited by Ontheflipside, 14 February 2009 - 06:31 AM.

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

[url="http://www.auslot.com/forums/index.php?/forum/192-wrp-rally-2018/"][https://i128.photobu...ps0lwlhklm.jpg]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users