Sign in to follow this  
Johno

Painting Cliffs / Rocks

Im looking for some advice on how to weather large amounts of rock surface for my cliff face.

So far I have painted a single tone grey and then added bits of darker grey around creases in an attempt to add a shadow effect.

It still looks too fake though so Im after hints and tips for adding a bit more realism

paintingcliff.jpg

Hey Mate,

When I did this I did a wash of light grey as base then a sand color wash

only on some area, then a black wash in the crevasses then added some

Woodlands Scenic Soil and Earth to give it texture.

Paint washes are about 10-20% paint and the rest is a thinning product

( Water, metho, thinners, etc ). Hope this helps.

Cheers Nate

DSCN0048-1.jpg

I added the dark colour first and that seemed to work. Shading is underneath so it should be the base. newemupark21.jpg

yes - I was goignto say teh same as Vinno - put the dark undreneath and use lighter shades at you come 'up' out of the crags.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Go to the Woodland Scenics website, go to the 'How to demos' section, scroll down to coloring rocks and watch the video.

I need to do this too when I get some time in the garage, so I'll watch to see how you go!!!!

Best of luck mate.

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Thanks for the tips.

Im finished for today after doing some coloured washes followed with a black wash and it has come up looking alot less fake now which is good.

Tomorrow I will do some dry brushing with a white around the peaks to finish it off.

You can do a Final Spray of a Mix of India Ink & 91% Alcohol..............Spray it over everything and it'll seep into all the nooks & cranny's and give definition.

You didnt say what you MaDE your scenery out of....Was it PLASTER or FOAM????

Heres a Diorama I did.............This was done using Acrylic paints mixed very thin....Raw Umber, Burnt umber, Raw Sienna, Ochre etc and given an India Ink/Alcohol wash.........a couple of coats...........This was taken before doing any Drybrush Highlighting.......

Diorama2.jpg

You can do a Final Spray of a Mix of India Ink & 91% Alcohol..............Spray it over everything and it'll seep into all the nooks & cranny's and give definition.

You didnt say what you MaDE your scenery out of....Was it PLASTER or FOAM????

Heres a Diorama I did.............This was done using Acrylic paints mixed very thin....Raw Umber, Burnt umber, Raw Sienna, Ochre etc and given an India Ink/Alcohol wash.........a couple of coats...........This was taken before doing any Drybrush Highlighting.......

Diorama2.jpg

OMG that looks amazing Tileguy

My hills were done with 1/2 plaster and 1/2 paper mache mix

What ratio do you mix the ink and Alcohol? And what do you use that is 91% Alcohol?

Thanks

Edited by Johno

Rubbing Alcohol available at any GOOD Pharmacy.

Avoid the watered down stuff 70% or Less Alcohol

I use different Blends...For scenery work I use aprox 4 Squirters full to 8 OZ ......For weathering Buildings and bringing out definition 2 squirters to 8 Oz.

HIGGINS INDIA INK Is available at Office Supply places & Hobby shops who carry Caligraphy supplies.

Break up chunks of plaster and use for Rip Rap and Talus Below your rock cuts to Improve the look............You can Precolor these Pieces by soaking in a small container for a few seconds........use several shades of the same flavor of acrylic...........then when dry, Mix em all up and pour them out onto the area you want them.......Spray with India Ink solution and allow to dry.............Now sray the area liberally with WET WATER ( water with a couple drops of Dish soap)...THEN flood the area with a 50/50 White Glue water mix ( use an Old dishsoap squeeze bottle) Add a sprinkling of turf/Earth and weed tufts here and there NOW while wet with Glue

When this is dry spray Everything with India Ink Solution ONE MORE TIME..........DONE!!!

HINT - Buy an Old used Blender...Use it to Chop up Dried Leaves and Bits of Mulch (cypress mulch works well) Now screen this material..........Use the fines as you would use Dirt.....larger particles as Woods Duff.........Larger chunks left over can be placed where a rotting Log may be found......(give it a Hint of fine green Moss)...On the North side only ..right?? ( of course ya'll are upside down so maybe its the Southside Only.) LOL