dangermouse

Ebay Such An Entertaining Shopping Experience

I was going to make a new topic but this will fit here..... Ebay prices... now at your LHS!

I am from sydney and went up the coast for my wifes birthday, while away i like to check out hobby shops for old stock they might still have just laying around. i got a couple of old V8 supercars at one hobby shop, more then i would normally pay but as i cant buy them in sydney so i payed my $70 and off i went. On my way home decided to stop off in newcastle to check out one more shop, walk in and what do i see? An ambrose V8!!!! Great!! ticket price $89.... ok i'll take it.. then the shop assistant said she needs to check?? the bloke behind the desk then says "oh, the ambrose V8 thats $159, thats rare that one".........

What ever happened to RRP???

BTW it was still on the shelf when i left

Love,

Kai smileyhawk.jpg

Is it just me or are the prices listed in the US for the majority of slot car bits and pieces just a wee bit extreme. And then there's the postage. ;)

Definitely. try buying a Fly Porsche 917 or Ferrari 512

Is it just me or are the prices listed in the US for the majority of slot car bits and pieces just a wee bit extreme. And then there's the postage. :)

Check out this little $9000 chestnut. I can think of a saying from The Castle for this one :o

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hoo Roo

That's Jmswms/Bill's Monte track. It's small, but it's a thing of beauty. It's even signed by Vic Elford.

But at USD 9000... I think the Castle quote you might be after is "Tell him he's dreamin'"

However, it is just a high figure to see how much folks are prepared to offer. Not sure what he got for the Targa Florio track, but surely it wasn't that much.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

So I don't 'spose you will bid on these Clevo, as you already have 2 of each anyway? :lol:

Normal people worry me

The four cars he says are rare and hes missing, Clevo probably uses those as donor chasis and race hacks :lol:

Edited by rick1776

cheers

rick1776

hmmm I wonder if he remembers trading his early Audi's to me a few years ago (that's where they went :lol: )

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

I bought my last SCX C35 GT40 (white) a few weeks back for $68au, which I thought was a steal considering they were selling for $200 plus a year ago,but check this out. I got hosed :o

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220717076605&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Heres one for you...............

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COX-1-32-Ford-GT-kit-MB-/120695193687?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item1c19fe8057

It must be a GT40 thing.................875 quid, tell him he's dreaming

Heres one for you...............

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COX-1-32-Ford-GT-kit-MB-/120695193687?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item1c19fe8057

It must be a GT40 thing.................875 quid, tell him he's dreaming

Cox MIB!

I've seen these go for around $350.

Electric Dreams has a RTR going for $499.

Yep, I think he is dreaming.

:huh:

Steve K.

Yet another story where the seller will be happy and you wonder about the buyer - was following a car last night - It can be bought new for $56 and it is still available - a second hand one sold for $55.50 (postage inc) - seller has to be happy with that. :lol:

cheers

DM

ps what are people's thoughts on the whole eBay market at the moment - saw a post from a guy who picked up a Black and Silver Fly Corvette for $23 - these were selling for $99 new here in Australia.

People will pay what they will. Can't blame the seller for buyers being silly or caught up in the excitement of the auction experience. The only prices the seller can be blamed for are the huge 'buy it now' prices and the frequently ridiculous P&H.

Dashed annoying to see postage quotes from the US as USD40+ to have someone on the inside be able to do the same for USD15 or less.

Recently purchased a Britains lead cat and duck figure for GBP2.20. P&H was GBP2. And yet there were 3 or 4 others of the same cat that were in worse condition with bids on them of GBP5.50 and more.

It seems logic doesn't really play a part when it comes to eBay and the 'Want, Buy, Have' cycle.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Some years ago I used ebay a little. Then decided that I really don't like the way it makes me think, so I dumped it; haven't touched if for well over 5 years & I won't go there again.

I prefer to buy from a person if possible, from an online store after that. I have gotten rare books at quite reasonable prices from Amazon. When I use Amazon, I white list Amazon (delete their "block status" from the Firefox Exceptions button, in the Privacy tab; then I do what I have to do, & then delete their "allow for session" status from the Exceptions list again. I do that to other online stores also.

I'm a bit "thingy" about having my internet activity tracked. It should be opt-in, not tracked by default, as so many sites do their users.

Edited by inveterate retiree

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

the frequently ridiculous P&H.

I thought US Postage was bad until I saw a car for sale on UK eBay with a quoted postage to Australia of £18.95 - I had a car posted to me from the UK recently and the cost was £2.60 - which included £41 insurance - so they can't claim signed for insurance etc.

DM

I ordered a Linux game that was on special at a store in England this week. It cost me ~$5- postage which at the current exchange rate is a dollar more expensive than your good score. :)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.

Well I don't now.

I'm over it!

Photos of my track in progress.

Ok I think this wins

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NSR-Allen-Hex-Key-Wheel-0-050-Screw-Ninco-slot-/160573887666?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item2562f314b2#ht_894wt_1040

check out the price for an allen key....which slot.it included in the box with there GT40

I sent him a message in case it was a mistake so if it was and he fixes it up he had GBP 29.99 or $45 on the allen key.

DM

Ok I think this wins

http://cgi.ebay.com....2#ht_894wt_1040

check out the price for an allen key....which slot.it included in the box with there GT40

I sent him a message in case it was a mistake so if it was and he fixes it up he had GBP 29.99 or $45 on the allen key.

DM

Well at least his postage is fair :lol: .

Clevo

Edited by Cleveland

He messaged me back - he had ordered them in bulk and stock didn't arrive - so he put a wild price on them so no one would buy them before he had them to sell.

DM

New to the slot car world, just chasing some opinions.

Found a Morris/Fitzpatrick L34 Torana that is $80 inc delivery. Haven't seen many of them around, only Brock/Sampson L34's. Good deal? or over priced?