Ebay Such An Entertaining Shopping Experience

dangermouse

Been a loooong weekend Dave. :huh2:

Tried selling off 17 cars over the last week and sold 4 and the others had around 9 watchers....i dont get it. :D

All cars were cheap..

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

You guy's know where i shop, and the price on the specials table is better than $75.

Yup. That's where mine came from.

Tried selling off 17 cars over the last week and sold 4 and the others had around 9 watchers....i dont get it. :huh2:

I've decided there's not a great deal of point trying to understand people. They're essentially illogical if not downright stupid.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

oh Davnic74,

You got a list of what you were selling?? :huh2:

I have sent you a photo of what i had up for grab's, i wont be relisting them on ebay as its to exspensive..

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

• 2 months later...

the old auction house is a funny fickle place isn't - got to feel for one of the sellers of the two auctions for a Scaley #6 GT40 I was watching - one went for $127 and the other for $55 - both were in VGC - 1st one was the boxed LTD edition car other a standard car - 2nd buyer got the bargain if you ask me, while the boxed one may be more appealing to a collector in most regards it is basically the same car....(I know the differences as I have a few of the boxed cars)

DM

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The last few months, well this year really has been awful on e bay. I used to sell every car I listed first time. One or two are currently up for the third or fourth time. Just to clear out and paint some I hope will sell I've even been selling some off at less than cost.

I used to send some regularly to the USA but that has all stopped dead. Japan and Scandinavia have also fallen off the cliff. I'd blame the recession but 80% of my cars have always gone abroad, Europe and beyond and currently I'm sending about 50/50 UK and elsewhere. Perhaps they are crap. But the bidders don't know that, the feedback is always generous.

Are people losing interest in slot cars or are they losing interest in ebay.

ps It did do this once before about 3 or 4 years ago. I had a really nice Porsche 956 painted in a pink livery. It didn't sell after 4 listings. Then suddenly it went for a record sum. Very strange.

Ashes to ashes funk to funky we all know Chris is a junkie.

I think its because the Aussie dollar is strong at the moment.

For international buyers, it makes it hard to get a bargain in Aust at the moment.

For us, it makes it a great time to buy cars from the US and UK.

I've been investing........

Its not my driving! There's a flaw in the track......

Speaking as a small business owner/operator, it's been a mighty quiet 2 years in this neck of the woods. We haven't dodged the GFC (which should never have existed in the first place) it's merely been delayed and stretched. The media had a lot to answer for early on. Folks around here were running scared because they were told to run scared. Then we had the delayed roll on effect. Then we had rain and what should've turned into a good season. Then the media started on the locust warey bandwagon and things tightened up again. Now the dollar has gone up and everyone is whinging about exports falling off. Which is a bit of a joke, seeing as crops in this region are destined for domestic market. And on and on it goes.

Mind you. Seeing that V8SC, I kind of wish I owned a few taxis. Selling just one or two at that price could pay my business bills for a quarter.

Still think it boils down to the fact that there's some really stupid people in the world. But dang, why can't I ever strike one of the ones with "Rip me off" tattooed on their forehead?

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I probably spend too much time watching cars on eBay - and I think at the moment the market is at the bottom end of the cycle - now whether it swings up again or not is really hard to know. It is such a fickle beast. Good time to buy still seems to be a few cars out there as well, though not many I am chasing.

I have seen cars sell at auction for more than the same car was offered BIN with free postage. I scored a win - bought a car for about $20 less than I had seen it sell for after following a few auctions, makes you wonder about the bidding too, some of those auctions were hotly contested - which would suggest 3 or 4 people looking for that car...yet I was the only bidder on the car I won. Same car both new in box. So either people are bidding on cars and they don't know how to search to find the same car someone else is selling or..........well you have a think about it...

I see the V8 went for $35 - what was it up to?

Should I put my 888 Betta Electrical car up for sale?

cheers

DM

Edited by dangermouse

When I first snuck a peek it was at more than 1300. Ridiculous, but seems there are so many fake bids. Then again, no reason why eBay shouldn't be expected to be just like an in person auction with dummy bidders in the audience trying to drive bidding upwards.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Yes, It's been a strange year on ebay. I usually shift the collection and sell about 30-40 cars a year, but this year I've only been buying :angry:

It's seems as the bottom has fallen out of a lot of the niche markets. Ninco classics that used to fetch around 100$ are not being sold at 50$, and lots of very nice examples of brass chassis vintage Revell Monogram cars have gone for for about half of the "usual" prize.

There has been a boom of sellers that flood the bay with ridiculously overpriced "buy it now" cars, and there are also more outlet's that sell cars very cheap. The amount of auctions vs "buy it now" has also dropped dramatically.

There has been a lot of rare cars available, so it seems that even hardcore collectors need to convert their goodies into cash.

In short it's been a good year to buy :wacko:

There has been a lot more activity in the trade sections on the forums though, which probably reflect the selling problems on the bay.

Tore

gallery_434_503_9937.jpg

Then again, no reason why eBay shouldn't be expected to be just like an in person auction with dummy bidders in the audience trying to drive bidding upwards.

Don't think that is allowed is it? :angry:

Mind you I confess to bidding on cars with the mindset - well if that is going to sell for $30 I will buy it - and then found that the person in the lead had set a higher bid maximum - I usually bid to early in this way as someone usually outbids the highest bidder at the last second anyway.

DM

Just because it's not allowed doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Supposedly outlawed in the Real Estate market, but it still happens. They just try to be less obvsious about it.

I'm not a big fan of sniping that goes on. But well... I have been known to place a bid in the last 20 secs on a model kit or something that seems to be ridiculously cheap. It's got me a few models that I'd not normally look at.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg