Ebay Such An Entertaining Shopping Experience

dangermouse

Then again, no reason why eBay shouldn't be expected to be just like an in person auction with dummy bidders in the audience trying to drive bidding upwards.

Don't think that is allowed is it? :angry:

Mind you I confess to bidding on cars with the mindset - well if that is going to sell for $30 I will buy it - and then found that the person in the lead had set a higher bid maximum - I usually bid to early in this way as someone usually outbids the highest bidder at the last second anyway.

DM

I've often wondered if a seller could have more than one identity, then if something was going to sell at a loss, they could just buy it with the other ID. They may then have to pay a small fee on the sale, but still retain the product and save on postage too, without having to sell at a loss.

Hope it doesn't happen, but who knows.

"S#!t Happens"

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree that eBay has had a massive increase in the number and type of cars that are available.

In part I think a lot of the European sellers are now offering to sell around the globe, I've certainly bought stuff from all areas of Europe via eBay, where as in previous years it simply wasn't available. As supply has increase demand has dropped off forcing prices down.

I think in addition to the influx of cars on ebay, the range of new cars being released is partially driving down the price of some traditionally expensive cars, the Scalex and Fly GT40's are a prime example, they recently both cost double or triple the RRP, but now can be picked up for RRP + 25%, thanks to the release by Slot.It and NSR of these same cars.

The GFC has probably played a part in the process as well, as in some cases collectors/sellers need to sell to meet other financial obligations.

The rise of the AUD$ cannot be helping, forcing buyers offshore and further reducing demand in Oz.

I'm quite happy at the moment as a regular eBay buyer, however as a seller I'd probably be looking at lowering my expectations.

Mark

.... however as a seller I'd probably be looking at lowering my expectations.

Mark

Hmmmmmaybe.

Depends what it is you're selling.

I mainly look for 60's American stuff out of the USA, and have noticed that they seem to be going up in price. :D

I wouldn't mind betting a lot of Aussies are buying because of our strong $.

:D

Steve K.

B.....er I bought one of them last week and thought it was a bargain at $3750 :D I noticed he also has a Monogram Ferrari for sale for $2000

I supposed if I had made a squillion $$ and as a kid I had really wanted to own one of those cars - I wouldn't baulk at paying that sort of money.... well I don't know cause I haven't made a squillion - but heck you can buy an awful lot of really nice cars for $3000

DM

CfC do you think Jaegermeister has surpassed Gulf at the moment as the best selling livery?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I noticed he also has a Monogram Ferrari for sale for $2000

Yeah, that's what I was looking at when I saw the Scaley.

While the Monogram kit is nice, I can't justify that sort of moolah.

I've seen mint kits like that go for around US$700~800, so I think he may be hanging on to that one for a while yet.

:lol:

Steve K.

Is it just me or are the prices listed in the US for the majority of slot car bits and pieces just a wee bit extreme. And then there's the postage. :lol:

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Is that the real asking price or is it a spelling mistake, surely no car can be worth that much !!!

I'm not sure about that particular car, but yes, there are many cars offered up for big numbers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the model, but I think I've seen a old (mib) Scaley Bently go for around $10k.

I know for sure that there have been a few (mib) COX Chaparals go for US$10k and more.

Steve K.

Is it just me or are the prices listed in the US for the majority of slot car bits and pieces just a wee bit extreme. And then there's the postage. :lol:

There are still some bargains out there, but there certainly are some opportunists trying to make some money.

I spose there are enough dingbats with too much money that buy them, and that makes it more difficult for us real people.

Steve K.

People baulk at paying $117 for an NSR then go out and buy 2 x $60 car that are crap. I just cant understand.

Must say I really agree with Rick here. For the collectors it doesnt really matter but for the racers, an NSR for $117 is all you need to spend to have a competitive race car. Slot.it are great value at approx $69. The maker with nice cars and liveries but are really horrible on wood (not all but the ones I have) are the Flys and for just on $90 a car!!!1 :lol:

I say $60. is too much for a toy car, When looking at new, I'm usually prepared to spend $60. tops, but always walk out with a comprimise of a $52. car or a bunch of cheapies. I'm not going to put them on a shelf, there going to loose their mirors & their all going to loose paint of the rear corner on the track wall. That's how I admire and apreciate a good buy.

on the ebay ad's topic, I've got a pair of SCX nascars with 2008 liveries, still inbox and original pastic wrap. I see simular advertised as, 1 of 400 very rare :lol: . I dont know if I should hold onto mine , or sell as is, or repaint in Jagermiester colours

CfC do you think Jaegermeister has surpassed Gulf at the moment as the best selling livery?

Possibly but Gulf is still very popular. I did get a lot of requests for tobacco cars, Camel, B&H, Gitanes JPS etc etc. That was OK until I got a call from Philip Morris's lawyers so that sort of stopped.

Ashes to ashes funk to funky we all know Chris is a junkie.

Possibly but Gulf is still very popular. I did get a lot of requests for tobacco cars, Camel, B&H, Gitanes JPS etc etc. That was OK until I got a call from Philip Morris's lawyers so that sort of stopped.

Idiots!

"Stop making advertising for our products, that we can't do much of anyway..."

It was a strange situation. I painted a few cars for a nice Aussie chap and he asked for a gold B&H Nissan. Having had to buy the paint and make the decals I thought I'd do another one to defray the costs. I did a Jaguar and posted it up on the bay. Next thing it gets withdrawn and they start playing mind games with my account. As they do ! Then I get the e mail from the biggest firm of lawyers in the world, I think they look after a number of "special" clients, asking me "whats occurrin'" So I write back and say it's the first time and I won't do another one anyway, no appetite. They came back and said thanks, really, not much else, and I got my account back on track.

I did think to tell them they stunted my growth and helped kill my father but I didn't think that would get them on my side.

It wasn't so much a tobacco issue as a copyright thing. Someone told me that these lawyers possibly working independently trawl through sites like the bay and look for infringements. More to do with money than justice.

I now sell Benton und Hedgerows, Marl Borough, Licky stroke and Hey Pee Ess and they won't pick up on those......

Here is a true U Pay story which is not anecdotal. It always pays to challenge them.

A friend set up an account to sell garden furniture. This furniture was manufactured in Eastern Europe delivered to the UK and then distributed by his brother in Derbyshire. Within half a day of putting up the items his account was suspended and the items removed. On closer inspection it transpired that someone, no doubt a competitor, complained that the photo's he had used belonged to the complainant. The photo's had been supplied to him by the manufacturer and as the products were patented he was the only company who had permission to sell these items in the UK. U Pay would have none of it. Refused to disclose any information and were generally very difficult.

To get the account and the products restored he was told to send copies of his VAT registration, driving licence, his brothers VAT certificate, his brothers driving licence to prove his address, a delivery note proving that stock of the product existed in the UK. A letter from the manufacturer (direct from the manufacturer in Eastern Europe, not a fax and not emailed ) stating the ownership of the photo's, copies of the patent and a letter giving him permission to sell the patented product.

You can imagine how long this took. All this information then had to be copied and posted registered mail to U Pays office in Dublin. The postal service in Ireland is infinitely worse than Malawi.

A week later he received an email telling him his account had been reinstated and his items re listed. The e mail read, we have to be cautious in these matters and usually we are correct in our assumptions however in this case we accept we have made a mistake and apologise for the inconvenience.

He wrote back asking who the complainant was that had supplied false and misleading information to them as he wished to take proceedings against them. He also asked who he should address his claim for compensation to having lost almost 5 weeks high season selling.

He is still, some considerable time later, awaiting a reply.

wouldn't be suprised if ebay have been draged through some silly disputes that really shouldn't concern them. heard on radio that any web host are responcible for any/all material on their site. After learning this and hearing above stories, its probaly cheaper for them to cease post imediatly than to play the he said she said game.

It's not what it was. They were fined a huge amount in the French courts (since drastically reduced) for not taking enough precautions to prevent counterfeit items from appearing on the site. Since then paranoia has set in. Now people are being fined for as much as £50,000 for shill bidding, so don't try that.

They are now centered on the big sellers, the power sellers. The original concept of finding an unused Scalextric in the loft which your grandad bought your dad and he never used it and selling it at a profit on the site, have long gone.

There must now be room for someone to set up a site for the amateur seller, are you listening Mr Google.