dangermouse

Making Tree Covering /bushes Out Of Sponges

Hi all

just thought I would share a new discovery - (apologies if everyone else has been doing this for years)

I have been making ground cover/trees/bushes out of foam that I dye green and then grind in a blender as do many of you I am sure.

I bought some scourer pads to make hedges and next to them were some light green dish sponges - not the yellow foam type but sponge sort of rubbery (would take a pic but I have ground them all up :D ) they were 5 for about $1 I think Home Brand

anyway I dyed them with green poster paint in various shades popped them in the blended and ground them up - I am really happy with the result the texture is different to ground up foam and I think they will make a nice change in appearance compared to the foam. I am planning to stick some bushes on the walls to break up the scenery so will post a couple pics when I get it done.

cheers

DM

Here is a photo of the sponge

I am also using it as a crash barrier as it softens the impact of the occasional car that hits that hits the wall ;)

IMG_2773.jpg

Oh and here is a little pond and tree I made as well

IMG_2772.jpg

cheers

DM

eww thats a dirty pond!!!

I hope there are not any fish living in that

Looks great though. Cant wait to see some overall pictures of the track all finished up

eww thats a dirty pond!!!

I hope there are not any fish living in that

Looks great though. Cant wait to see some overall pictures of the track all finished up

yeah I have to work on that - I used varnish and it was a little yellower than I wanted - I may pull it out and a try a different finish - maybe paint the bottom blue :purplebounce:

DM

its either a really dirty pond or its reflecting a really dirty roof of the shed!

its a dirty pond

however it is gone - 'drained' it this morning - will work on a better finish over the weekend

:purplebounce:

I painted the bottom of my lake in different shades of blue, then poured a litre of clear varnish onto it.

ce5a9172.jpg

277228b4.jpg

Completedtrackpics026.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

The pictures don't quite do it justice, cos the varnish does yellow up a bit.

Normal people worry me

I painted the bottom of my lake in different shades of blue, then poured a litre of clear varnish onto it.

ce5a9172.jpg

277228b4.jpg

Completedtrackpics026.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

The pictures don't quite do it justice, cos the varnish does yellow up a bit.

-great result tho. :clap:

It looks pretty good.........You should touch up the shore where the varnish wicked into the sand though..........Perhaps something pebbly or just New Sand over the old

If you want a wind effect you could use Gloss Medium or Modge Podge Gloss and using a Paint brush stipple it over the surface for a light rippling Breeze (looks good on ponds this size) OR you can even do a Heavy Chop ( better on larger bodies of water)

Ever think about adding any Tall rushes /catails and Lilypads?? B)