slotbaker

Australian National Slotcar......

What about us Rally boys ? You could get a hold of the italian based regs for these.

GO TO IT LAV!

If you're interested in the Rally/Raid arm then why not post a link to a copy of them here and we can get them 'Aussified' for inclusion!

Regards

Shane :)

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

...Click HERE to visit my Viper Valley forum thread...

I'd also like to think that it would be inclusive of all slot car groups.

The HO, and Drag racers have already set up their associations, so we couldn't presume to set up an association that would 'govern' them. We could set up an association that they may wish to be part of, and therefor a National Association that represent all groups.

I don't see it as a bad thing if each state, and each scale has it's own local group, and still be part of a national body.

Here's an example that I've been following in the USA.

About 2 years ago, a group of enthusiastic old farts in Southern California had their fires lit with a suggestion of a retro style 1/24 slot car series. One guy came up with a set of rules for one class of scratch built slot car and called it Retro CanAm, and now known as D3. This set of rules is locked firmly in place being the foundation class of CanAm.

Another of the old pro's from the 60's & 70's built a stack of cars for others to try. This developed into an informal race at a commercial centre. More heard about it, and began building their own cars. The word spread and a group in northern Cal started, then East Coast, Texas, and Chicago. It is now in London and beginning in other places in Europe.

Each group wanted something a little bit different from the original SoCal rules and made their own. They got together in Chicago last year each with their cars built to their individual regs. There wasn't much difference in performance, but they recognised that there should be a common set of rules so that a National event could be held with similarly spec'd cars.

So they now have an overall body who maintains the national regs that anyone can use, and each group can run to their local regs.

What is now happening, is when a new group kicks off, they tend to use the national regs. In time, the national regs will probably prevail. That's not to say that each local will still want to do something different. But when it comes to a National event, the common rules are used.

While they had quite a bit of in-fighting and bickering, seems to be working for them now, and they are having a great time.

Anyone have any other thoughts on it?

:)

Sounds like good old common sense is prevailing.

If, and I repeat, if, a set of rules is complied that ultimately meet with general approval for true national events, local clubs and groups should have the choice of whether they retain autonomy for their domestic events or whether they start to incorporate the "new" rules.

HiString - thats the only way it could run. If you started forcing changes it would fail badly. Each club/group has its own rules but should they race each other then the "national rules" take over. Basically the "national rules" are going to take the common bits of all the clubs rules and clean around the edges

It could/should cover all scales and styles. The only stumbling block that could trip it up is digital, with each system being incompatable with each other. How hard is is to take out a scalie chip and add a ninco? The car stays the same but the chip and the track change. Can the track stay and the power supply's and controllers be changed? I'm not sure.

Eno - the public officer is responsible to make sure the association is carrying out its responsibilities acceptable to whichever state government its registered in. You need a Treasurer to organise the payments, an association in the ACT cost $130 to set up and about $60 a year to run, add a website at about $14 a year for a .org.au and about $35-$100 for hosting.

To cover costs things like sponsorship etc need to discussed.

Membership could be a token $1 a year per person or club. As its not for profit do you need to charge for membership.

Lots to think about......

Lee

It's all positive at present and that's a good thing.

Is there any further interest in filling the positions as suggested by Lee earlier to get the process moving??

Shane

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Lee,

"Basically the "national rules" are going to take the common bits of all the clubs rules and clean around the edges" ..........nicely stated.

With the HO, drag and 1/24 formats already having established varying degrees of "organisation", it may be wise to leave well enough alone and just focus on 1/32 for the present. If this "project" is ultimately successful, then the other groups may be interested in a joint commitee to oversee the sport's future growth.

Re digital and other future developments......I think if the proposed organisation is able to be conservatively progressive, these advancements should be able to be accomodated without much blood being shed.

Shane,

Should we be too concerned with organisation structure until we see what needs to be addressed in the rule department?

Edited by HiString

Lee,

"Basically the "national rules" are going to take the common bits of all the clubs rules and clean around the edges" ..........nicely stated.

With the HO, drag and 1/24 formats already having established varying degrees of "organisation", it may be wise to leave well enough alone and just focus on 1/32 for the present. If this "project" is ultimately successful, then the other groups may be interested in a joint commitee to oversee the sport's future growth.

Re digital and other future developments......I think if the proposed organisation is able to be conservatively progressive, these advancements should be able to be accomodated without much blood being shed.

Shane,

Should we be too concerned with organisation structure until we see what needs to be addressed in the rule department?

Who then is to collate, tabel, take comment and then based on "membership" quorum, adjudicate on "The Rules"????

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Probably way too early but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. In Queensland we have Q32 and in Victoria there is V32 maybe for the National Collective we could try "AUS32" or even "OZ32" with each states racing group falling in under the National banner. Just a thought, I'll wander off now............and race my cars. Easy and simple to apply to caps, T shirts and body tattoos.

A32!

Lets say A32..

It's already caught on.. ;P

How would you convince half of the group who have never heard of Auslot or A32 that their rules should be changed for the benefit of all ?

...local clubs and groups should have the choice of whether they retain autonomy for their domestic events or whether they start to incorporate the "new" rules.

This is probably the biggest thing right here. We (all of us) don't want to be told what to do, as slotbaker hits on here:

The HO, and Drag racers have already set up their associations, so we couldn't presume to set up an association that would 'govern' them

Most existing clubs/groups would probably continue racing how they want locally, and by the agreed rules when at a national event... but anyone starting to set up organised racing would have a starting point. For example- like V32 just over a year ago, and someone (think it was Helrayzor) was asking about basic rules only a few months ago too..

A32 participating members would be essentially agreeing to race to a single set of rules for the sake of being measured in a nation-wide competition, regardless of what rules they race at home..

These rules will have to be decided by all participants.

While the discussions and endless democracy involved in the creation of the V32 rules may have seemed tedious, and the cause of some merriment for our interstate brethren :chase: - eventually the process achieved it's goal via majority opinion.

Members as shareholders? Different racers/members/clubs/groups should get a say on classes/rules/whatever, eventually that should get distilled into some interstate racing goodness!

Cheers

Bry

Another thing just occurred to me:

Any national efforts to race rally and digital flavors would mean guys on here (Auslot) would need to be involved.... Phoeno, Lav spring to mind.... Sax0607, Aussieslotter etc.

Having national rules is only going to help spread competitive racing usage faster, especially of digital I think...

Who then is to collate, tabel, take comment and then based on "membership" quorum, adjudicate on "The Rules"????

Shane, if I understand correctly, what you're referring to is the working group who are assembling this proposal and NOT the final association's hierachy.

As we're all aware, Slotbaker is putting in the effort to compile rules for comparison, my feeling is to wait until he has done that, then people have the chance to discuss any rules which are not "universal" or are unique to one particular source. I guess what's concerning me is how other clubs/groups will react, in other words, how well "we" sell this idea and I believe it would get a better reception if it's presented (for consideration) as a proposal by a group of enthusiasts rather than coming from an already established organisation or association. It can be surprising what cooperation you can get from people when you make them feel needed or involved.

:chase:

This is great. All good stuff. Keep it coming.

With the HO, drag and 1/24 formats already having established varying degrees of "organisation"

Other than the Drag Racers, I'm not aware of a formal 1/24 group at the moment. Is there one?

:chase:

Steve K.

I would think that most racers would be prepared to alter the specs of their club cars to be able to enter a state or national event anyway. The difference in regs from one club to another in a certain class wouldn't make it impossible to use your "club" car for a national title race.

How many people would actually be prepared to travel interstate, stay overnight or maybe a couple of nights to be apart of a 'National Championship' ? And i don't mean just think about going, but actually dip your hand into your pocket, books flights etc and go ?

I am not looking to poo poo the idea of what is being discussed, but if this is what people are going through this process to achieve, shouldn't we see if people would actually go ?

How many interstaters are going to Pete's event in Melb ?

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

Martin I know of at least 8 that are travelling down to race from Queensland. But you are close to the money when you question just who would commit and actually make the real effort to go.

To be completely honest, I can't see it coming off, a national association I mean. Just look at the politics in getting the rules sorted out for V32 alone, never mind a national set of rules. Far too many possibilties coming in from the "yeah, but what if" fraternity will curtail any positive input contributed by the few well meaning people.

How many people would actually be prepared to travel interstate, stay overnight or maybe a couple of nights to be apart of a 'National Championship' ? And i don't mean just think about going, but actually dip your hand into your pocket, books flights etc and go ?

I am not looking to poo poo the idea of what is being discussed, but if this is what people are going through this process to achieve, shouldn't we see if people would actually go ?

Martin,

I personally know of at least 8 racers from QLD who are going, have entered, booked their flights and accomodation.

Peter told me that he has entries already from all states. So there is no problem at all with participation.

For next year it is planned that the Slot Car Nationals are split into two events. One stays at the old time/date slot over Easter which are to be known as the Speed Slot Car Nationals and includes all speed racing classes in 1/24 and 1/32 (such as all Wing Cars, GTP12, Flexi and International32). The other event will be moved to the opposite side of the year around September/October and will feature the Australian Model Car Nationals in 1/24 and 1/32 which includes all 1/32 RTR Classes as well as 1/24 Model Cars.

The reason for this is that a combined event as we will have in a couple of weeks time in Melbourne would be a too large one to host together again.

Anyway, all this including the possible formation of an Austrlian Slot Car Association as suggested very well be Garry Johnson, has been scheduled to be discussed in Melbourne over Easter as it is the perfect opportunity to do so, because Peter's event is aimed to bring racers, enthusiasts and people involved commercially in the slot car racing industry together in one place at the same time.

So everyone interested and able to travel to Melbourne over Easter, please do so.

Cheers

Werner

Hear what you are saying, but...

In a PM from Peter, he says

"BTW we have confirmed entrants from WA , SA , VIC , QLD , NSW and NT ... "

So is there enough to warrant a National Association?

Dunno, let's keep going and see what happens.

:lol:

Steve K.

Anyway, all this including the possible formation of an Austrlian Slot Car Association as suggested very well be Garry Johnson, has been scheduled to be discussed in Melbourne over Easter as it is the perfect opportunity to do so, because Peter's event is aimed to bring racers, enthusiasts and people involved commercially in the slot car racing industry together in one place at the same time.

So everyone interested and able to travel to Melbourne over Easter, please do so.

Cheers

Werner

Cool.

I hope that a few of the people who are in the discussion over Easter, are participating here in this thread? Or at least prepared to step in and say if we are wasting our time.

If not, maybe we are 2 groups running parallel, or at a tangent?

Unfortunately I can't make it to Melbourne, as I'm booked into a car rally with my 1:1 car club.

Steve K.

Cool.

I hope that a few of the people who are in the discussion over Easter, are participating here in this thread? Or at least prepared to step in and say if we are wasting our time.

If not, maybe we are 2 groups running parallel, or at a tangent?

Unfortunately I can't make it to Melbourne, as I'm booked into a car rally with my 1:1 car club.

Steve,

You certainly do not waste your time. Your involvement is very much appreciated.

However I am sure that you can understand that it is not very practicable to discuss certain things on an internet forum.

We all have seen where unfortunately this might end up : With no result at all and a damaging publicity because of some people's behavior or the lack off.

There sure will be people attending in Melbourne who are Auslot regulars, no problem.

Cheers

Werner

I think a combined slot car association would be great, but there are significant differences between different groups that would probably make that impossible.

HO - unique tracks and cars. Not interchangeable with others. Voltage?

1/43 - Smaller track and cars, can run on bigger tracks. Nominal 12v DC.

1/32 Analogue - Mid size track and cars, can run on bigger tracks. Nominal 12v DC.

1/32 Digital - Mid size track and cars, technology limiting to digital only tracks at this time. Voltage?

1/32 Drag - Does this happen anywhere??

1/24 Circuit - Large track and cars. Limited by size to larger tracks. Cars can run on drag set-ups. Nominal 12v DC.

1/24 Drag - Unique track. Drag cars not usually used on circuit layouts. Voltage/current BIG.

Are there are enough similarities with 1/32 & 1/24 to be able to have one body?

If there are going to be "National" events where both 1/32 & 1/24 are competing, then one body would be good, otherwise we would need 2 separate bodies that are great communicators and very co-operative.

The 2008 Nationals rules is a good start.

You've got my vote for President :lol:

Coming from a country where there is a national body (some 40 years in existence) I can only salute it's extremely stabilising and cohesive influence. National bodies, when elected on a national representative basis, with executive powers (to make rules and amend them through the use of properly constituted procedures) always end up smoothing the waves between all parties. Rules thus promulgated are set in stone (until the next special/annual meeting) to which all basic members may bring proposals and gain national acceptance (or rejection) for changes, deletions and additions. However, the basics stay in place and will never change unless so decided by national vote at a duely constituted forum (this type of platform may even prove a good way of organising such an event).

Some of the guys mention the logic of being able to race your current stock of cars with your current contoller on a homolagated track system - EXACTLY. If such a body comes into existence everyone will be given a period to change over and whenever new facilities or cars are built, it will be done to a standard compatible across the total country. The change over period will also be set in stone with a 12 to 24 month maximum. Once standards have been laid down, for tracks and cars, those will be the only standards to race to - everywhere. This obviously does not mean an individual club is no longer able to race whatever it chooses, it and it's members can however not get acceptance for national events if it/them does not comply with the national standards.

Start the ball rolling by getting as many clubs registered (for free, only to get contact details), then send out a survey to collect various bits of data and compile it all into a data base. Then organise a proposal to form a national committee, charged with the setting up of proposals for each of the diciplines (I agree with 1/32nd and 1/24th as the main ones - others can always get incorporated later by agreement with the existing members). Membership of a national body can either be club based or individual based. If club based, the national membership is compulsory at club level as the club then subscribe to the national body. If individual based the individual has an annual national body subscription. The former situation exist, in the Radio Controlled flying environment, here in Australia. The latter alternative is not desirable as the administration burden at National level get's out of hand (I've been part of such a body and it is a nightmare). I am sure we can find a few guys, say 3 from each state to help this initial stage and formulate the basic setup. This way each state will first decide it's own proposal, thereafter each state will again get a say for the eventual proposal to form the national body. By having the odd number everytime, majority will rule the decision and we will end up with a maximum of 7 proposals (for a national body) by a future deadline. Thereafter the election of national office bearers and their duties and goals will become a matter of course.

Lets not get into individual rules now, but for what it's worth - the 2008 Nats rules, for all the prposed classes to be run, is a good starting point. All other classes and rules will become the consideration of a future national executive.

Just my 2 cents worth ............. use it or lose it. :lol:

See you all in Melbourne over Easter.

Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

I would imagine in the end that the rules are going to end up with a set of rules such as those that have been trialled at pete's over the last few months with rules like you can do this but don't do that. There will undoubtedly be caveats for each circuit such as "Don't use Silicon Tyres please" or "Sillys Welcome". "Magnets" / "No Magnets" / "Don't worry either way they won't work here" maybe even rules for hosting such as "I'd like to run an event using boomfy something cars and an NC1 or equivalent motor".

I've been messing about downstairs. Stuff I had working at Geds? They don't like my track. Stuff working REALLY well at Peter's? Nope - unhappy here.

I'd imagine we'll have to come up with a way of categorising circuits. It's easy for those 24th wing guys. The same bloody layouts, smother everything with superglue and open it up. Us "serious racers" on the other hand.. it's harder.

As for travelling. How about 'state' National Races are held the weekend after the Supercars / the GP / A1GP / lawnmower races or whatever are held in town? I'd imagine if I had the chance to (for instance) head up to Hidden Valley, spend the week mooshing about and the Saturday of the next weekend messing with baby cars I'd get away with that. I'd suggest limiting it to a Friday night / Saturday for the majority of classes. Gives people time to get back home for work.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

You've got my vote for President :o

Ooooooh.. Don't know about that.

There are plenty of other guys who are a lot more slot car savvy then me.

I'll just help out where I can, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

When we can get this happening, I'm reasonably sure it will make it easier for new and existing groups to organise events.

Eno, we're all 'serious' racers, but at different levels. The wing car guys put serious money into each of their little rockets. It's not my cup of tea, nor are magnets, but this is not the place for that discussion.

We are all slot car enthusiasts. Some of us race, others collect, and others are builders as well. It's all good. See if we can set something up that benefits all of us.

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

ok how about another point

What about making it a co-operative business?

Where membership costs $50 per year which goes towards building tracks, meets (add a comp fee). Membership allows you to access the tracks at anytime or something - im just throwing up ideas !! That way large top quality tracks could be built. That idea of mine building scale Mt Panorama could become a reality if SCORPIUS could be adjusted for routed. we could walk with the cars :) oooh Bathurst 12hr :( [nudge nudge]

If its not for profit many fundraising events can be held free of charge, like a BEER & SLOTS tasting. Just gotta find a place to lease. Im just putting these forward as it will have to be registered before any website or business names.