Australian National Slotcar......

slotbaker

I think one of the probable reasons why it is left of these forums is because it waaaay easier to argue on the internet than face to face.

Maybe this is a good thing! Maybe JUST maybe it is a lesson that has been learnt! Well done to slotbaker for even trying to take on such a task! People do tend to take these things a bit seriously so maybe its a way of getting around that!

Rick, maybe you should start a Digital Association, seeing the amount of blood sweat and money that has been poured into the system you guys have been developing! You would be the natural convenor! Leave the 1/32 Analogue Association to their own mistakes and destiny and get cracking on a Great Digital Association!

It's way easier to communicate face to face 'cause on the net it's too hard to have the background stuff like tone, body language, smirky laughing faces. Hell I had a huge family argument happen 'cause one sister in law decided to take something I'd said & send it to my (now) sister in law about the upcoming "wedding of the year" and I found out later that it was 'cause the first had taken it out of context and changed the original smiley.. :huh:

It's a real trap though (as I think we've shown Smallnails) There's also the thing that people are more likely to say something outrageous at a screen than to people. (There's lots of Uni tests and stuff out there in 'computer-nerd' land if people think I'm just being nerdy)

I think a seperate again Digital Association makes a hell of a lot of sense. it could even cover '32nd and '24th scale cars. Here's my thinking.

1 - Big commercial tracks built specifically for '24th - possibly not so much for home - built and powered to suit the cars.

2 - Home track built for '32nd scale home stuff - can run on some 24th tracks - mostly a home thing - built and powered to suit the cars again.

3 - Digital tracks are totally dependent upon the Hardware / Software that support it unlike the other two. That makes right now a good time to start to make an association so it can flow through with your 'universal widget' Rick. It will run 32nd and 24th scale cars probably but it's driven by the 'Tekky' end rather than the size end.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Believe me I wasnt even thinking digital. Digital is years off.

I just think its a shame the forum isnt being used, as Slotbakers post says, not much interest.

Im suggesting you go back to square 1 and discuss it here where its EASILY accessible and cheap.

The reason there is no interest here is because people know it wil be only for the guys attending the race, no one else.

And the guys attending the race havent commented much here, one has to ask why?

As for digital we will be not holding Nationals as such for years yet, rather individual contests, like "PJR Challenge" or "Kellyville Raceway Challenge".

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

No matter which way I attempt to word (or express) this, it doesn’t come out sounding right, so I’ll apologise in advance.

Over my (too many) years, I’ve been a member of a number of various clubs or organizations and the one thing that I’ve seen happen in almost every case is that sooner or later there develops a little group of people who believe their way of things is the right way, usually to the detriment of other members and ultimately to the “organization†as a whole. These groups are usually driven by egos or revolve around a central individual who for various reasons, manages to attract some perverse form of loyalty from others and whether you like it or not, given the current direction some things are taking, anyone could be forgiven for thinking that we’re seeing a repeat of this phenomena within this slot community.

Aussieslotter’s comment regarding the lack of input virtually hits the nail on the head, there are a number of experienced and very knowledgeable guys here but it’s unfortunate that the most some of them have contributed to the current “national†issue/discussion, is to criticise anyone who questioned the doubtful right of anyone to call an event a “National†title in light of the fact that there is no national body to sanction such an event. In any other sport or hobby I’ve been involved in, a situation like this wouldn’t be tolerated.

And please, before anyone attempts to defend the proposed discussions at the upcoming meeting, consider this………..these discussions will be only open to the people who are able to attend that event…….. ie: any interested person who for whatever reason won’t be attending, regardless of how much they may have to contribute to the issue, is virtually shut out. I’m sorry, but I really do have to question what motivates someone to ignore the opportunity to contribute to the discussions on an open forum.

:angry:

In any discussion someone needs to take the lead. If Steve didn't give it a go nothing would happen at all. He is very experienced in Slot Racing and has the right type of ego to handle what he is trying to do which is put something forward to possibly better the hobby and not line his pocket.

I understand where all the other comments come from but if something is formulated then modified as discussion is made then can't it be a good thing. I think discussing things this weekend is a good start as there will be like minded guys to brainstorm. I don't think this weekend will be the last discussion before things are set in stone and maybe it won't work but at least give him credit for having a go.

Hi Vinno,

100% kudos to Slotbaker, I did already mention that in my post. Thankyou Slotbaker=)

I think HiString was generalising. I get what he said.

My point is simply the forum can be used like a virtual meeting place, people can log in daily, the discussion could then be spread over 30 days rather than a one hour meeting between only the guys racing. Guys dont have to travel there, they dont have to pay fares or accomodation.

Someone said its better face to face as there is less arguing, Id say the opposite, that in a face to face meeting some guys may be shy to have their say, or under peer pressure, maybe on a forum they can express themselves better. You could have a director and modertor for the thread to keep it in line.

Everytime there is a major debate going on put it straight to a poll, majority rule. Easy huh? Too easy huh??

Once you get a "Virtual" association you then propose membership fees and then go for it in the normal fashion like the 1/24 guys. (Thanks Garry J)

Once you have a "real" association you could then hold all meetings in the form of a forum online, a dedicated website, meeting place, call it what you want.

Australia is a big place, lets use technology to our advantage for ultimate and instant communication. Let it look transparent and guys will join.

Think National, think big. National 1/32 discussion meeting in one particular city would probably gather ten people if that, not indicative of the real situation.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Thanks fellahs.

I've added a few more (including V32) to the spreadsheet, and split into 1/32 & 1/24 to make easier.

Just an observation on the V32 General rules, there doesn't appear to be anything about magnets, and is only mentioned in the Modern F1 class. :angry:

Still more to come.

:P

Mahority of tracks we race at are either copper tape or copper braid, but here (grefhurst) and mtanorama magnets will be allowed for diversity and realism/handling. :P

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

It would have been nice to be able to go to Melbourne for the racing, meet up with everyone and chat about the possibility of forming a national association, but it was not to be for me (and many others).

I don't have any problems with those who are going, to get together and discuss it. I also don't think that if it was announced earlier that there was going to be a meeting, it would have made any difference to people attending or not and doubt if anyone would have gone just because there was going to be a meeting.

It's been said before, we have to start somewhere, and the Melbourne Nationals is a good place for interested parties to meet face to face and get something happening. I'm hoping that those who did attend will provide good open feedback to the rest of us interested parties who couldn't make it.

It needs to be warts and all feedback. No-one benefits if we slap each other on the back saying 'well done' if you really don't like what is being done. At the same time, please don't bag someone without giving some positive, and constructive feedback. As the old proverb says, -There is more than one way to skin a cat, and sometimes we need help to see the alternatives (right through this whole process).

If we are truly keen on this hobby, and interested in getting an association going, it doesn't matter if we communicate over this forum or in some other way if it is deemed more suitable.

So, please give us some feedback. What happened?

:huh:

Steve K.

Hmmm Feedback,

Ok being present through all this you will notice on a number of occasions through this thread and the deleted thread plus i think there may be mention of it in the 1/24th section Garry Johnson mentioned there would be a meeting at THIS years nationals at Mobile to discuss this.

Not once has Peter been the head cheerleader, it just happens it was at his shop (it could have been Hornsby, Rockhampton where ever) and the fact you had people like Peter from Area 3 (Repete) a couple of guys from red racer, Shane Lott, Werner from Ace hobbies at the event I think it was a good start and the racing was awesome.

In regards to the meeting, no rules were discussed!!!

Garry Johnson simply said he has a We site up and running called the Australian Slot Car Racers Association www.ascra.com and he is happy to maintain it, work on it and upload any rules to it.

Now there will be no forum on this web page listed, he mentioned that thats what this Auslot forum and what slotbaker is doing, hornsbys forum and so on.

The name and web page is for the racers you guys tell him what you want and he will post it, if you have an issue, email him and he will respond or forward it onto the correct parties.

1/32, Scale 1/24 and 1/32 plus the flexi and wing guys can use this page for rules, getting the hobby of slot car racing out there and hopefully give it a nice professional edge and attract new racers.

From my point of view it is now up to you guys (the auslotters) to assist Steve in getting the 1/32 wheels in motion and use this web page or association so you can have a comon set of rules and classes so various states can take turns at hosting and running National type events (it worked for the drag racing so i cant see going by the weekends action why you guys cant do the same).

Anyway to defend Peter a little he had nothing to do with this meeting, it was organised months ago and noted here a couple of times it just happened to be at his shop.

Hope this info helps out guys,

Cheers Plucka

Hello all,

The meeting was more of an introduction and overview, per Plucka's post, by Garry J that at the last nationals held well over some 12 months ago the Wing car enthusiast made mention of forming an association to give some greater cohesion and framework to the hobby for those who want to race.

In more words or less it was added that due to this years turnout by the 1/32 scale field (accross all classes there were more than enough entrants to fill the draw cards and make for great fun filled competition) it would be a great opportunity to include the 1/32's should those interested be so inclined and it is NOW up to us to now get our "ends" into gear and do something about it.

Slotbaker has done a brilliant job in getting a "Rules and Modifications Matrix" together and with the experience of the weekends racing just gone, it is definately worth putting the efforts of all interested people together in the one pot and cook something up!!!!!!

With the amount of smiles, hands shaken and healthy discussions between entrants from each of the states represented it is surely an indication of how much positive drive there can be between 'enthusiasts' with a common 'addiction'.

It would be a great shame to let it all fall by the wayside so I'm with all who are interested and also will give the ASCRA all possible support.

Regards,

Shane

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

...Click HERE to visit my Viper Valley forum thread...

it would take the mexicans 10 yrs to discuss the regs

:):P;):lol::rolleyes::D:o

G'day,

Back in about 1985, South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales 1/24th slotters got together to re-start the 'Nationals' as they were known.

I say, re-started, because back in the seventies, there was a series of events called the 'Nationals'.

In 1985 SASRA (SA Slocar Racers Association) was formed, but they never had a website, this is why you could not find anything about them on the 'net'.

However, the 'Nationals' as the 1/24th peolpe know them, are still in existance today.

They are held on a rotation basis between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

If you want to start your own 1/32nd 'Nationals' then I would suggest lookingg at incorporating the word 1/32 into the name.

Regards,

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since the Nationals, and it sounds like they were very successful.

Congratulations to Peter and his helpers, and to all the competitors for making it a success.

Going on the responses and a bit of behind the scenes feedback, it appears that there may not be a real chance of achieving an all encompassing association for slot cars in Australia.

I'm not totally convinced about that, but it would require quite a bit of commitment from more people than appear to be interested at the moment. Maybe in time??!!

Any thoughts, comments??

In the mean time, what do we all think about Gary's the website?

If Gary is in agreement, maybe we could centre our efforts around the ASCRA website, and make it the reference point for regs, information, how/when/why Nationals are run, etc?

Maybe have local/state groups of all scales operate a page linked to the main site. That way Gary could oversee what appears within the pages without having to maintain everything within. Each approved group could be given a page for them to maintain.

There could be section for regs covering cars, races, tracks, etc to be used as a guide to anyone who wanted to run a comp, whether it be local club or nationals. Not necessarily "Australian" rules, but guidelines to get people started.

Any thoughts, comments??

:unsure:

Steve K.

• 1 month later...
Totally agree Slotbaker,

Stay tuned and more to come from Victoria shortly,

Regards,

Shane Lott

Just thought I'd check in here again to see if anyone would like to continue, here or elsewhere, the efforts to form some form of Assoc.

Seeing as the dust has well and truely settled from the events over Easter, I was hoping that we could kick it on a bit.

It would be a shame to have wasted all of the good input and discussion from everyone.

Shane, is Gary open to using the website as a hub for all interested parties?

:)

Steve K.

Hi Slotbaker,

Yes he is and I'm still keen to be involved.

I will be away from th 13th June 08 to 14th July 08 as my fiance and I are to be married on the 20th in Cairns FNQ.

We are then away in Europe for a while and back by the 14th.

Hoping to sneek some new cars in past the "then to be missus"......Customs will be a sinch but the missus, ..... I dunno...... ;););)

and YES, having to hide the cars has already begun!!......... ;)

Regards,

Shane

Edited by Shane Lott

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

...Click HERE to visit my Viper Valley forum thread...

Shane,

Hope all goes well with your wedding, and holiday to yurrup. :)

How has Gary suggested that the website could be utilised?

Maybe Gary would like to chime in here and help out while Shane is being distracted?

Steve K.

Shane,

Hope all goes well with your wedding, and holiday to yurrup. :)

How has Gary suggested that the website could be utilised?

Maybe Gary would like to chime in here and help out while Shane is being distracted?

He mentioned that if you have rules or thoughts you would like put onto the site, email him and he can post them up, he will not be putting a forum in as there is enough around.

Plucka

• 1 month later...

Just checking in to see how the association is going.....seems not much happening?

So if we dont have a National association I suggest no shops hold a National event for 1/32.

5500 views and 170 replies yet no association.

I think we can finally put this to sleep.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the ASCRA and the website, etc.

I have been quietly working away on the web site; trying to get a decent structure and looking for content. There have been disappointments ranging from unfulfilled promises (pretty much all of them), through sarcastic comments, down to thinly disguised hostility but I intend to keep the site running and hopefully sometime, someone other than Werner will make a contribution. Shane has expressed an interest and I understand why he's gone missing and hopefully he'll be up and about again soon.

As far as the association goes, I don't hold much hope of it ever being more than a loose gathering of people with a common interest, and experience has shown us that it's probably all that's needed.

At the moment we don't have anyone putting themselves forward to host the "2009 Scale Nationals" so the opportunity is there if anyone has the facilities.

Still looking for content for the web site (http://ascra.com.au), I'll take anything related to slot racing, pictures af your tracks, cars, racing events, tech tips, whatever. I'll also take ads for commercial interests as long as they're related to slot racing.

You can message me through the site or at garry+johnsonsystems.com.au. (change the + to @)

Cheers,

Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill