slotbaker

Australian National Slotcar......

This topic seems to be bogging down the 2008 Nationals thread, so how about discussing all possibilities here.

Is a national association possible?

If so, how do we do it?

If not, why not?

B)

Steve K.

I'd like to think that it possible to have a national body that could sanction a set of regs, and help unify guidelines for tracks, events, and anything else that crops up.

It's going to be difficult to get total cooperation, especially if it's going to cost anyone some money.

Still, we won't know unless we try.

As long as we keep a positive attitude and be constructive (as opposed to destructive), it should work.

B)

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

I Must say i am quite keen on the thoery of establishing national class regs, thus, if you race at Geds, v32, pheonix, hornsby....whatever, you bring your cars and race them, rather than not even bothering to attend as your cars have Ortmanns, ali gears, .1mm too low, or conversly, not even remotely competitive.

let's be constructive, and bounce around some realistic possibilities maybe, thus if you choose to go to 'The Nationals', wherever they are held, you don't have to build a car for each class, as your existing stock is already there.

With love,

Chris the Mexican. : )

My mum says I'm an excellent driver

I Must say i am quite keen on the thoery of establishing national class regs, thus, if you race at Geds, v32, pheonix, hornsby....whatever, you bring your cars and race them, rather than not even bothering to attend as your cars have Ortmanns, ali gears, .1mm too low, or conversly, not even remotely competitive.

let's be constructive, and bounce around some realistic possibilities maybe, thus if you choose to go to 'The Nationals', wherever they are held, you don't have to build a car for each class, as your existing stock is already there.

With love,

Chris the Mexican. : )

very positive! I feel the love! ;)

I'm also mexican, but you know what the mexicans call those notherners? septics B)B)

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

Some suggestions...............:

People who have the knowledge compile a list (here in this thread) of the most commonly accepted "rules" covering cars.

A second list be compiled covering those "rules" which are or maybe in dispute.

Doing this will clearly show what initial problems need to be dealt with and if civil discussion can prevail, it may just be possible to see some progress being made.

From memory, the structure for the R/C powerboat guys is based on clubs who then elect an association (AMPBA) President, Vice-President and two commitee members, the structure has worked well for a long time with a membership that is probably no more than would be possible within the slot communities.

B)

Before we get too carried away with this, is/was there an Australian association before?

Seems like there must have been one at some time in our slot car history.

Maybe we don't have to completely re-invent the wheel, just modernise it.

B)

Steve K.

to my knowledge there has never been a national body connected with slot cars and I have been playing for a lot of years in 5 of our states I believe that it has been this forum that makes us aware of what has been going on in other than our home states and the advent of the proxy races has had a big effect on this as well

I think that a national body would be a step in the right direction but allso hard to achieve if we start bickering over how many screws you are allowed etc. It would take someone to draw up a set of workable regs and everyone to agree to them without argument and I can't see that happening

by the way Gref septics are septic tanks {yanks}

Edited by oldslot

I am pretty sure gref, wrote what he meant , you are north of us Just as the yanks are to the mexicans

sax

Edited by sax0607

Thought I'd try a Google on "Slot Car Association" in pages from Australia, and found these;

ASCRA

AHORA

ASCDRA

:P

Well one is for HO scale and another for the drag racing guys but it's "ASCRA" which should concern people here.

I'd imagine it's an acronym for "Australian Slot Car Racing Association" and would appear to be the brainchild of who ever is behind the currently proposed "Nationals" and if so, this should worry any person with a genuine interest/passion for the sport.

I am pretty sure gref, wrote what he meant , you are north of us Just as the yanks are to the mexicans

sax

yes that is all :P

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

Some suggestions...............:

People who have the knowledge compile a list (here in this thread) of the most commonly accepted "rules" covering cars.

A second list be compiled covering those "rules" which are or maybe in dispute.

Why not start with the rule's for this year's (National's) in the 1st post of the other thread titled ,2008 scale national's?

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

if you read the regs for ascra you will find that its for 1/24 scale cars whereas I would suggest that the majority of subcribers to this forum are 1/32 so as some of their regs would be applicable a lot of them would not.

which raises the question do we want a nat. body for 1/32 or for all scales?

there have been conflicts in the past with various bodies attempting. to establish a nat. body in oz. as to who runs it and can you call it a nat. body if it's not represented by every state ?.

sort off like the yanks and their world series everything that no other countries are invited to.

I think a combined slot car association would be great, but there are significant differences between different groups that would probably make that impossible.

HO - unique tracks and cars. Not interchangeable with others. Voltage?

1/43 - Smaller track and cars, can run on bigger tracks. Nominal 12v DC.

1/32 Analogue - Mid size track and cars, can run on bigger tracks. Nominal 12v DC.

1/32 Digital - Mid size track and cars, technology limiting to digital only tracks at this time. Voltage?

1/32 Drag - Does this happen anywhere??

1/24 Circuit - Large track and cars. Limited by size to larger tracks. Cars can run on drag set-ups. Nominal 12v DC.

1/24 Drag - Unique track. Drag cars not usually used on circuit layouts. Voltage/current BIG.

Are there are enough similarities with 1/32 & 1/24 to be able to have one body?

If there are going to be "National" events where both 1/32 & 1/24 are competing, then one body would be good, otherwise we would need 2 separate bodies that are great communicators and very co-operative.

The 2008 Nationals rules is a good start.

Edited by slotbaker

Steve K.

Hmmm, so can explain who runs ASCRA? And theres a link to the Dandenong Nationals too? The plot thickens perhaps or is there a logical explanation?.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Thought I'd try a Google on "Slot Car Association" in pages from Australia, and found these;

ASCRA

AHORA

ASCDRA

Well one is for HO scale and another for the drag racing guys but it's "ASCRA" which should concern people here.

I'd imagine it's an acronym for "Australian Slot Car Racing Association" and would appear to be the brainchild of who ever is behind the currently proposed "Nationals" and if so, this should worry any person with a genuine interest/passion for the sport.

Australian Slotcar Racers Association I think.

NOthing mentioned about scale cars just TFF slotcars

I think it's a very good idea.

Part of the problem with the V32 thing is that there were a number of people that don't know each other terribly well and many are reasonably passionate. Cracks like that (Gazza amongst others) ain't gonna let it happen.

Is there a way to limit this to the "leaders" of various groups that are relevant. Eg - Gref & Vlad from here (V32) etc etc so the conversation doesn't devolve into meaningless drivel? We can all use our "guy" to put ideas up to the some sort of comittee.

I think it was Pheono who had a good set of rules from Qld as we first started to try things here. I nominate him as the 'head' of the committee if there is to be one. :P

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Hi All,

Werner of ACE Hobbies sent me a link to this thread so I thought it might be prudent to introduce myself. My name is Garry Johnson and I've been involved with slot racing for about 45 years on and off.

My interest has primarily been in 1/24th scale racing on commercial tracks, usually 8 lanes, and I've won a few state and national titles over the years. Most recently at the Nationals in Rockhampton, 2007, where I won Group 27 class. Yes, for those purists shaking their heads, that's a wing car class but my interests cover all scales and styles of cars. Over the years I've built many commercial tracks (some of you scale guys will know the tracks at Hornsby Slot Cars which I built and both the 8 lane tracks at Mobile Raceways, Dandenong) and also many 4 and 6 lane 1/32nd and 1/24th scale tracks for fun and profit. I've also written software for slots and designed chassis for National Championship winning cars of both the scale and wing variety and I'm sure I've crossed paths with some of you over the years.

Now that's out of the way I'll get to the point(s).

Some time ago a group of racers and track owners held a meeting at King Willy's Raceway in Melbourne with the aim of establishing a national body of some sort. A few people were selected to come up with ideas and investigate possibilities. My job (as my primary business these days is IT) was to look into setting up a web page and finding an available domain name, and also to look into what was involved, legally, in setting up an association on paper.

The best name I could find that had an available Australian (.com.au) domain name based on an acronym of the association name, was Australian Slot Car Racers Association (ASCRA). I then looked into setting up an association and found that the only option that doesn't expose members to possible litigation if something goes wrong is an Incorporated Association which is expensive to establish and maintain. I concluded this was not achievable due to the complexity and expense and the fact that the others involved in setting this thing up had contributed nothing whatsoever. However, not content to see the whole thing slide into oblivion I set about registering a business name which then allowed me to register the domain name. This was done in my own name and at my own expense.

So now I have domain name and some web space but what do I(we) do with it considering interest in the association is failing? Well here's the ill conceived and poorly thought out plan.

The current web site is just a holding page but I'd like to see it developed into a source of information for ALL slot racers, no forums, no discussions, just plain and simple information such as links, rules, calendars, tech tips, race results, picture galleries, products (new and old) and anything else I(we) can think of. I have 100GB of web space and 500GB of bandwidth a month and I'm happy to donate the whole thing if I can get some reliable people on side to help out.

As for the Association there's supposed to be a meeting at Mobile Raceways at Easter but at this point I have no idea what's going to happen (actually I do have an idea what will happen, unfortunately).

So there you have the brief history of the ASCRA. If anyone thinks this is worth doing either officially or as just a defacto association please throw in your 2 cents worth.

Cheers and good racing,

Garry J

Cheers,

Garry J

Slotworx_Logo_Small.jpg

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Makes me wonder what the HO guys are doing right seeing they have an incorporated association.

Maybe the size of egos there is relative to the size of their cars.

i read and met about a small association of sloters who were into 1/24th model racing.......thats in sydney

they were running all sorts of cars but mainly model cars built into slot cars

they were popular for awhile till the track in prestons folded...

i built a couple to join them

wondering if they still exist .

i still am waiting for the members to resurface if they still are racing and where???

they have very good builders and racers who seem to have some code of ethics

unfortunately i went away for awhile and never heard of them after .