Mount Salt Panorama

Ontheflipside

Following a lot of fun racing with Gazza and Teamred (Craig) on their purpose built rally tracks I built a 10m rally track to fine tune my skills and set up cars. Always a favourite when the family turn up.

DSC06176.jpg

Being a sucker for punishment I then built (over two days) one of my grandsons a similar track

Mitchellsslotcartrack007.jpg

Then an extension 18 months later MitchellsslotcartrackDec2708052.jpgMitchellsslotcartrackDec2708033.jpg100_6342.jpg

I already have a 24m SSD track set up (still playing with power) but I also needed an analogue track to prepare cars and get some practice to play in that game as well.

As well wanting a bigger rally track I decided to build a road and rally track combined. My original plan for the SSD track was to have a Mt. Panorama circuit but after setting up it wasn't that functional and a lot of waste space in the infield.

So come up with the idea of building a 2 lane road circuit using the infield for rally.

Following Oldslots idea of building a model first I did the same but went a bit mad with the expanding foam and spray cans.

Mountain.jpg

On overhead shot - the rally circuit will also include both lanes of the road circuit using Lane Changes to covert from a road circut to a rally X.

The length of Conrod Straight including the chase is about 5m and the mountain rises 500mm. From a quick measurement with some string on the model it will be around 50m (total rally circuit length)

MtPanoramaModel.jpgbathurst_official.jpg

It will be housed in our double garage but due to the In-Laws staying with us for a few weeks (lasted 10 months) I needed to make some temp shelter.

Latestslotcartrack003.jpg

Starting to progress well after 2 days

Latestslotcartrack011.jpg

I still need rout the main 2 lane track (couple of hours) prop up the mountain rally track section with foam, paint and lay some copper tape. edit: Now braid Then scenery over an extended period.

Slotcartraxandmodel10feb08003.jpg

The best news is the Father In-Law left for the Gold Coast to live yesterday. Am I happy and also can move the track to its home in the double garage. Yes Sax it's being lifted to the ceiling. :P

More as I progress . . . . Edit: But not much happened for 18 months

• Upvote 1

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

That is going to be brilliant!

Just make sure you have plenty of sand traps both sides of Castrol, to slow down all the flying airborne sideways cars trying to take Lowndsie out :P :aussie: B):D

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

looking real good Mel ,

I wish you all the best with getting that thing up to the roof , you know what my experience was like.

if you want the new power mod (its awesome) done for your SSD I need to know at least 2 weeks in advance , so I can order the parts from USA

sax

• 1 month later...
How's the track going Mel?

You should be finished by now! ........ or have you been touring around the country side again?

The last three nights have been the longest I have been at home since I run the last round of the OZ Proxy Rally here.

Home for a week then away for the next 5 weeks being home only 1 or two days on the week end. The track is currently leaning up against a wall in the main garage. Off to Edcon Steel tomorrow to purchase some aluminium to make a couple of trusses to enable me to hoist it to the ceiling. If I can get that far this week with some trestles on casters for when its lowered I will be happy.

To all the other comments - thanks guys it's great to know others appreciate the hard work everyone puts into building their tracks, will post pics as I progress.

Mel

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

• 7 months later...

Hi,

just saw this post - was wondering if anyone else had attempted it. I have just sold my commercial track and decided to do a scale bathurst setup. Unlike yours, it will not have a rally track in the middle - to try and do a replica (as close as I can). Looking at your measurements, it would appear you are building in about 1:300 like I worked out - would that be right?

did you design yours on the fly, or did you do a layout?

regards

steve

Hi,

just saw this post - was wondering if anyone else had attempted it. I have just sold my commercial track and decided to do a scale bathurst setup. Unlike yours, it will not have a rally track in the middle - to try and do a replica (as close as I can). Looking at your measurements, it would appear you are building in about 1:300 like I worked out - would that be right?

regards

steve

steve - 1:32 i hope :D

Do you have a warehouse ? Conrod = 72mt

I have the surveyors plans if you'd like them ...

brendan

Hi,

regards

steve

Not sure what the scale is but the overall Conrod straight is 5.2m long.

I used a good map of the track and overlayed a grid to copy it onto the flat base and went from there. A proper 1/32 would have just fitted onto our large house block and as Brendan says would be about 72m long. Originally I tried to build similar for my SSD plastic track but hardly looked like the mountain track. I am pleased with how it has turned out. Back working on it again after many months of not being able to get to it. Will post some more pics when I have the braid glued down.

Mel

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time coming but here's the first pix's of Mels (just about) finished track

f821af5c.jpg

b6bfb76a.jpg

First test will be the current 2009 - 10 proxy rally

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

There's something to aspire to. I like the idea of combined styles. Great track.

Cheers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction