Digital Slot Racing In Australia

aussieslotter

Hi Guys,

Just noticing less and less posts in the digital section lately. Seems more and more digital threads on the various worldwide forums, and less posts here on Auslot now than a year ago. I accepted a long time ago once most blokes reach the age of 40 they are set in their ways and happy to just continue with what they know best, but the trend lately here seems to be going backwards.

Also the fact the "toy" systems are truly pathetic, hence my Scorpius development, as Im sick of waiting for the manufacturers to cach up so I decided to make my own club/commercial quality system. And the thought of chipping just 6 cars for digital use is all too much for most.

When all current 12 year olds turn 40 no doubt it will all be digital, until then I can see myself travelling overseas to enter the European digital championships which seem to leave us Aussies well behind. There is simply not enough competition here.

Strangely enough some of the best digital minds are in Australia (Sax, Drummer, PhilR, GregR come to mind straight away) but maybe not enough.

Anyway for me Im addicted to digital, I just think thats how slots would have been designed back in the 50's had they had the technology.

So it will happen, but its going to take a generation to embrace basic digital technology. Thats sad from my perspective.

So a commercial quality system is released here in Australia eventually, reliable, powerful etc. Will it make any difference? Yes but were still waiting for the 12 year olds.

Cheers

Aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys,

Just noticing less and less posts in the digital section lately. Seems more and more digital threads on the various worldwide forums, and less posts here on Auslot now than a year ago. I accepted a long time ago once most blokes reach the age of 40 they are set in their ways and happy to just continue with what they know best, but the trend lately here seems to be going backwards.

Also the fact the "toy" systems are truly pathetic, hence my Scorpius development, as Im sick of waiting for the manufacturers to cach up so I decided to make my own club/commercial quality system. And the thought of chipping just 6 cars for digital use is all too much for most.

When all current 12 year olds turn 40 no doubt it will all be digital, until then I can see myself travelling overseas to enter the European digital championships which seem to leave us Aussies well behind. There is simply not enough competition here.

Strangely enough some of the best digital minds are in Australia (Sax, Drummer, PhilR, GregR come to mind straight away) but maybe not enough.

Anyway for me Im addicted to digital, I just think thats how slots would have been designed back in the 50's had they had the technology.

So it will happen, but its going to take a generation to embrace basic digital technology. Thats sad from my perspective.

So a commercial quality system is released here in Australia eventually, reliable, powerful etc. Will it make any difference? Yes but were still waiting for the 12 year olds.

Cheers

Aussieslotter

I just sent you a precis of what I suggest may happen. My other opinion (not written in that post) is that little guys (and gals) tend to try to do stuff to entertain their Dads. No that's not right. Follow in their Dad's footsteps with teams and sports and stuff. Most of us have not done Digital and are too "oldschool" to buy something they can't see and touch.

If you wanna push it, get a demo track into Armchair or Slot Shop first.. talk to Pete here at MR and get one in. Most guys are happy to try anything if they can see what that thing is. Et voila - stuff happens!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

For blokes like me it has been very disappointing. Have spent hours setting up my track with scenery etc but poor power for more than two cars. Have power taps, copper taped, LC wired independently but I have not had the time or confidence to do the mods skilled blokes have been successful at. The day Scalextric (or some other manufacturer) sells what that advertise I'm sure there will be some major growth.

My son and brother in law are in the same predicament.

Haven't given up but it has been hard to keep motivated with SSD.

Caught up with Sax last night so looking forward to A/M improvements in a month or so. Thanks Sax you have re motivated me again. (hope today went well)

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

thanks otfs ,

yes , all happy on the first day of school...........................................

the gear for my first simple -H mod should be here today or tommorow

I think one off the biggest problems with digital is the cost every car cost $55+ then you have to add $25 for a chip so the best price you can do , to get a car on the track is around $80

most people would rather just buy the car @ $55 and slap it on an analogue track.

sax

I have spent a hell of a lot of time trying to get my digital track to work.

I've cleaned it and pulled it apart and rebuilt it again, and still can't get it running right.

I've been able to cut ten laps on it and thats it and then it stuffed up again.

I'm at the point of trying to sell it and make a wooden routed track just so me and my kids can race.

For Car Cruises an Show and anything to do with cars check out South Coast Car Scene N.S.W

I've cleaned it and pulled it apart and rebuilt it again, and still can't get it running right.

I'm at the point of trying to sell it and make a wooden routed track just so me and my kids can race.

Don't give up too easily. When your in Sydney next drop in and have a look at what I am doing and have a chat.

Regards OTFS

PS: SAX. I belive your right as to one of the biggest problems. Notice some of the Digital cars are coming down in price eg $59 for the F1's

Edited by Ontheflipside

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

ON the scaly side, no-one has had any idea of the

availabilty or support for the digital format.

Possibly a lot of potental digital racers are

holding off for the release of the new scaly p/b.

Long live digital racing !

B.B.

"You Maniacs!.... You blew it up!.. Ah, damn you!...God damn you all to hell! "

So in the last 2 months we have 3 major mods become available for power:

Simple H by RichG

Ninco PB upgrade by DaRainbow

Scorpius.

These are a quantam leap foward but I feel its too late, first impressions count.

But why should we have to upgrade anway?

Sure we will never get what we want from the big 4 but they should at least be able to do what it says on the box. (run 6 cars without hassle)

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I recently bought a N'Digital Master Track etc. And I have found it to be very reliable.

The track works very well, I have trouble with the cars occasionally caused by doing a dive of the edge of the table and popping out axles and motors,

( Glued in now :) I Need a wall on the edge of the table..) also very dirty braids on the cars are the biggest cause of any problems for me.

After a night of racing I will generally give the cars a once over, Clean gears, Clean Braids, Clean off tyre rubber etc. Re-Lube axles and gears.

After racing RC Cars, I know that preperation is critical to performance..

I recently bought a scaley digital set with 3 cars, and put a chip in a 4th car. Me and my 3 sons spent all week-end racing and had a ball on about a 4 meter track. But to build a digital track as a permament track would mean pulling down the analog track, and with over 100 cars between us, were do we race these? or spend a fortune on chipping them all. Most people who have a large track and collection will probably stay with analog, and newbies may head to digital if thats what they start with.

I recently bought a scaley digital set with 3 cars, and put a chip in a 4th car. Me and my 3 sons spent all week-end racing and had a ball on about a 4 meter track. But to build a digital track as a permament track would mean pulling down the analog track, and with over 100 cars between us, were do we race these? or spend a fortune on chipping them all. Most people who have a large track and collection will probably stay with analog, and newbies may head to digital if thats what they start with.

You could build a hybrid analogue/digital track.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi all,

I am very new to digital and in the last 14 months have built up a 32m track with 5 LC's, 16 cars and invested in a 15v 20amp variable power supply. (a bit of an amateur setup yet but we are getting there)

All the tips on this forum and others about keeping it clean, power tapping etc have meant we are getting continuing improved racing.

I recently got a v 1.5 PB and the new simple-H PB Power Pro sounds like the perfect combined Mod which I can't wait to get and try out, also noticed the Slot GP Pro today has anyone used it yet.

Anyway if it was analgoue I wouldn't have got in this far but ditigal has turned this 40 year old into a 12 year old again (along with the 4 boys).

I agree with you Aussieslotter Digital is just the BEST FUN please keep up the great work on these forums.

Regards,

Phil

Cheers

Phil

IMO digital will be the norm in a few years. I think digital routed tracks will slowly take over. Like many things it needs a standard format so that all brands of cars can be run on any track. Like video,audio and now blue ray some will drop by the way side and those that remain will for some sort of standard.

phil

Cheers

Aussieslotter

Hi

I am not into digital but I am one of the probably many fence sitters who look at it, think about it, and read forums and websites about it - but as yet haven't committed to it. It looked like it would be a lot of fun if you had a few friends over to race but I am not sure I fully understand the advantages over a conventional 2-4 lane set up. I imagine it would work best on a big track rather than the smallish ones that come in the sets and that drivers would need to be similarly skilled.

I also baulked because the systems were not compatible and because of the cost of the chips to change your car from analog to digital But I do like the sound of your set up.

I think that having a system that allows you to race either standard or digital cars would be the most practical as I could then chip a certain class of cars for Digital racing and still run the odd cars that I bought for some obscure reasons :) without the need for a $$ chip

anyway the first thing to do is get all the systems playing well with each other - like the digital stuff in model trains do now.

then it won't matter which car you buy you can just chip it or use it if it is already chipped.

cheers

DM

Cheers

Aussieslotter

Hi

I am not into digital but I am one of the probably many fence sitters who look at it, think about it, and read forums and websites about it - but as yet haven't committed to it. It looked like it would be a lot of fun if you had a few friends over to race but I am not sure I fully understand the advantages over a conventional 2-4 lane set up. I imagine it would work best on a big track rather than the smallish ones that come in the sets and that drivers would need to be similarly skilled.

I also baulked because the systems were not compatible and because of the cost of the chips to change your car from analog to digital But I do like the sound of your set up.

I think that having a system that allows you to race either standard or digital cars would be the most practical as I could then chip a certain class of cars for Digital racing and still run the odd cars that I bought for some obscure reasons :) without the need for a $$ chip

anyway the first thing to do is get all the systems playing well with each other - like the digital stuff in model trains do now.

then it won't matter which car you buy you can just chip it or use it if it is already chipped.

cheers

DM

Great comment Penfold. I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why digital has not taken off as quick as it could have.

I will happen but when ? ? ? ?

Hi Mel,

See post #13.

Billy cart has 4 kids. Definetely they will be digital slotters. Thats actually my point, show a kid a digital set and they will neve look at an analogue set again. They will only know digital (most likely) and when they grow up and buy their son a set it will be digital.

So Mel it may be a loooooong time till it hapens to its full potential. One thing for certain digital isnt going away.

Im sorry your track is giving you hell. Why didnt you tell me? Nothing that cant be fixed.

Im not a fan on data mixed with power, but it can be tweaked.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Well, having purchased a Scalie "analogue" set in the last fortnight, I will say that I barely gave the digital format a second thought............it is a relatively new technology where slots are concerned, it appears to be still having teething problems and there's a better than even chance that if actual product manufacturing costs were known, it would be proven to be grossly overpriced at the store front.

Unfortunately, the term "digital" is the marketing buzz-word of our times. The marketing gurus have done their job well...........consumers have been convinced to believe that anything with "digital" plastered across it's packaging, must be "better" than whatever it was that was "pre-digital".............unfortunately, that is frequently far from the truth.

:)

Most things digital are better. I dont think the whole world would bother going digital if there wasnt some benefit.

Can you imagine buying a brand new DVD player in 1970 for $60. Better than a VHS video for a $1000 back in early 80's.

Is it better? Generally, not always.

Digital slot cars? Teething problems? Yes, nothing the analogue guys didnt go through. Analogue didnt happen overnight either.

You admit you didnt consider it. You need to know the benefits and drawbacks, then consider it I think.

If your kids had to decide they would have picked the digital set (thats if you have kids). Kids dont have pre conceived ideas like we do.

And is digital overpriced? Im saying no. Consider development costs. Also consider the ability to change lanes and many other features coming.

Unfortuneatly no one can a produce a digital slot car set for the same price as analogue. It cant happen.

The new Scaley digi cars, well some are just $4.00 more than its analogue equivalent!

Remember digital IS an extension of analogue, just with added functionality using a microprocessor, hence its digital, not really a buzz word anymore, just a description of the method used to run it.

So HiString, your post just confirms what I said in post #1, that really its mainly kids and their dad that would go digital. Most analogue enthusiasts will not be converting to digital, and that decision/choice I fully respect.

Aussie

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Most things digital are better.

Digital is different but not necessarily better and while it offers features not readily available in pre-digital formats/technologies, there are many instances where the (digital) end result/product itself is ...... 1) at best, no better than it's predecessor, 2) still playing catch-up, and/or 3) being compromised for the sake of convenience.

You admit you didnt consider it. You need to know the benefits and drawbacks, then consider it I think.

No, I said I barely gave it a thought. I did consider the additional features of digital, but (as Penfold said), I felt that to fully "enjoy" those features, I would need a much larger track than I can accomodate................there's not a snowflakes chance in hell of slots permanently taking over either our recording studio or my workshop where amongst other things, I occasionally make instruments...........it is these rooms where my track will be periodically set up.

Unfortuneatly no one can a produce a digital slot car set for the same price as analogue. It cant happen.

No, probably not, but I bet that the differences in RRP of "comparable" analogue and digital Scalie sets are not a direct reflection of the diferences in production costs. The RRPs we're seeing will have been determined as being a figure that the market will bare. It is not uncommon for the difference between (Chinese) product cost (ie: what a company such as Scalextric may pay the manufacturer[NOTE....example only] ) to the end RRP to be x10, ie: 1000%.......initial purchase/cost of $5.00 --->RRP $50.00.

The new Scaley digi cars, well some are just $4.00 more than its analogue equivalent!

Kinda tells a story, doesn't it ;)

So HiString, your post just confirms what I said in post #1, that really its mainly kids and their dad that would go digital. Most analogue enthusiasts will not be converting to digital, and that decision/choice I fully respect.

Maybe, but I think you're probably selling people short or misinterpreting the reasons for these signs of reluctance to go digital. Personally, if I ultimately build a modular routed track, I will definitely consider incorporating the digital technologies but until that time I'm more than happy just trying to learn to keep a car on the track :(

B)

Most things digital are better.

Aussieslotter replying in red.

Digital is different but not necessarily better and while it offers features not readily available in pre-digital formats/technologies, there are many instances where the (digital) end result/product itself is ...... 1) at best, no better than it's predecessor, 2) still playing catch-up, and/or 3) being compromised for the sake of convenience.

Ok I said most things are better and Im sticking with that. Simply a microprocessor can do thousand tasks a second, In analogue form youd need a room full of analogue hardware todo that, Really is no comparison for most applications. Compare an Ipod for $150 and stores a 1000 songs compared to a record player for probably twice the price and 50 times the size. Ok records reproduce analogue waveforms better, but thats only for top end enthusiasts (rare). Its a small benefit for the obvious tradeoffs.

No, I said I barely gave it a thought. I did consider the additional features of digital, but (as Penfold said), I felt that to fully "enjoy" those features, I would need a much larger track than I can accomodate................there's not a snowflakes chance in hell of slots permanently taking over either our recording studio or my workshop where amongst other things, I occasionally make instruments...........it is these rooms where my track will be periodically set up.

I think youre splitting chips over the wording. Ok so you barely gave it a thought, but now you say you did consider the features, so now I understand you.

No, probably not, but I bet that the differences in RRP of "comparable" analogue and digital Scalie sets are not a direct reflection of the diferences in production costs. The RRPs we're seeing will have been determined as being a figure that the market will bare. It is not uncommon for the difference between (Chinese) product cost (ie: what a company such as Scalextric may pay the manufacturer[NOTE....example only] ) to the end RRP to be x10, ie: 1000%.......initial purchase/cost of $5.00 --->RRP $50.00.

Sorry, thats purely speculation. We really need debate based on facts, not gut feelings. To me if they can make something for $5 and sell it for $50, good for them. Consider 4 to 5 people have to make money out of it.

1)Manufacturer of component (eg electronics)

2)Transport

3)Importer

4)Retailer

5)Company itself (eg Hornby)

I know how much it costs to produce a chip in batches of 100, 1000, 10000 and 1000,000 and the price is very fair. Given the benfits its extremely fair. Just my opinion.

Kinda tells a story, doesn't it ;)

Not to me it doesnt, the $4 extra tag is a "leader" that is at cost price or below to entice people to buy. I can tell you now the chip costs more than $4 to produce.

Maybe, but I think you're probably selling people short or misinterpreting the reasons for these signs of reluctance to go digital. Personally, if I ultimately build a modular routed track, I will definitely consider incorporating the digital technologies but until that time I'm more than happy just trying to learn to keep a car on the track :(

B)

No, I said "mainly". And wouldnt "sell" people short. There will be exceptions and I hope you are one of them=) My first post mentions technical issues as well as personal.

But I think you will expect the digital gear to be the same price as analogue or only expect to pay the $5 component, going by what you said in the post. I think youre going to be dissapointed though. Like I said youll have to pay for the extra parts and development, it cant happen any other way.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

I figured you'd be aware of chip and pcb costings B) .

I don't want to take this thread any further OT but just a couple of responses.................at the start of the audio chain, no digital recording format can match analogue tape....at the end of the chain, any digital reproducion/storage format, be it CD through to ipod will "alter" the original data, CDs aren't too bad but the minute you start compressing to reduce file sizes (ie: mp3) you are discarding data from the original.....the more you need to compress, the worse the reproduction. Good?...............I don't think so and you don't need to be a purist audiophool to appreciate the concerns. There have been many, many thousands of words written by musicians, recording engineers, enthusiasts, etc., etc., discussing the issues and at the end of it all no one has been able to prove that digital (audio) is anything but a still flawed product................and I use both digital and analogue recording formats.

Re my comparing production costs to RRPs..............sorry, but the variations I stated are not speculation, they are based elctronic and plastic products AND are based on facts.

Oddly enough, slots seem to be one product in Australia where we aren't being "hammered" by the importers so for that we should be thankful.

:(

I figured you'd be aware of chip and pcb costings B) .

I don't want to take this thread any further OT but just a couple of responses.................at the start of the audio chain, no digital recording format can match analogue tape....at the end of the chain, any digital reproducion/storage format, be it CD through to ipod will "alter" the original data, CDs aren't too bad but the minute you start compressing to reduce file sizes (ie: mp3) you are discarding data from the original.....the more you need to compress, the worse the reproduction. Good?...............I don't think so and you don't need to be a purist audiophool to appreciate the concerns. There have been many, many thousands of words written by musicians, recording engineers, enthusiasts, etc., etc., discussing the issues and at the end of it all no one has been able to prove that digital (audio) is anything but a still flawed product................and I use both digital and analogue recording formats.

Re my comparing production costs to RRPs..............sorry, but the variations I stated are not speculation, they are based elctronic and plastic products AND are based on facts.

Oddly enough, slots seem to be one product in Australia where we aren't being "hammered" by the importers so for that we should be thankful.

I dont see how this is quite relevant?

Without digital technology you cant have digital racing. Its not like its just offering analogue functionality. Its not just replacing, its adding massive functionality as well. This must be taken into the equation.

I know about compression, Im a bass player, have done a lot of recording sessions and been in some big studios like Rhinocerous and EMI 301 etc, but your talking 1% of the population, audiphiles and engineers. We need to think about the 99%. But consider the benefits of compression for MP3 format, very clever, against losses the average punter couldnt tell the difference with anyway.

Unless you actually work at Hornby Id say theres only guessing involved. Costs dont stop at production, so it may cost $5 or $10 to produce sure, but add in the other extras like advertising, after sales service, warranty issues and all the other costs, sure it may retail for $50, but that doesnt mean they made even one quarter of that. Im sure you know that. Id be surprised if they have broken even yet. And add in all the other players who get a cut that I mentioned in my previous post. Who knows how much they make?

So does price affect slotters from buying digital, most certainly. So its good it got brought up, thats what the threads about=)

Does it affect me?, sure, but for my situation I can see the value is there, it may cost 50% more at the end of the day, but Im satisfied Im getting more than 50% additional value and fun. I appreciate everyone has different views on cost and benefits though.

Horses for courses I guess. I know also if the punter doesnt like it, he doesnt buy it, he votes with his feet.

I reckon also the style of racing counts, seems some guys dont like the idea of another car in their lane, or they find the concept of lane changing no benefit or fun.

I guess someone needs to put together a bullet proof powerful reliable 16 car routed system. As they say "build, and they will come" People may very well start to like it.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi

I think that having a system that allows you to race either standard or digital cars would be the most practical as I could then chip a certain class of cars for Digital racing and still run the odd cars that I bought for some obscure reasons B) without the need for a $$ chip

cheers

DM

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I'd love to have a go at a digital setup, but the retailers seem reluctant to have a demo track to try out.

Just a comment on the manufacturing cost Vs RRP, I've been in manufacturing a while in small appliances, lawn mowers, telecommunications, and metal fabrication, so my experience is limited.

For an ongoing product in the general market place, manufacturing cost broadly runs at about 1/3 of RRP, where there is a manufacturer, distributor/wholesaler/importer, and retailer in the chain.

For new products where high development costs are incurred, it is still around 1/3, but the development costs are recovered over a planned quantity, or period of time. Depending on the product, the development costs may be amortised evenly over the whole batch, or on a decreasing sliding scale over the batch.

Other things that may put the costs up are licensing of trademarks, such as liveries on our slot cars.

Clearly this will vary if there is a product in a niche market, and the retailer may want to take advantage of the situation.

Steve K.

Aussie,

You appeared to take exception to my original comment re digital being a buzz-word, you also introduced the ipod into the discussion hence my last post, anyways, it's probably safer if we agree to disagree on some points. I'm not anti-digital, just fed up with seeing people who believe that anything digital has to be better and fed up with seeing people suckered into buying products that don't necessarily perform as advertised.