lavenlaar

What do i do ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Help me here to determine their employment

• Make him line up at Centrelink
    • Ask for the money
    • Let it slide

Ok - little dilemma here at work

Have a certain staff member what looked like tea-leafing out of the till caught on camera. We (owner & myself) confronted him yesterday, but because he was also taking money for deliveries, made it look near innocent, but we were $100 short in the till ! We gave him the benefit of the doubt yesterday, but saying this is the way we are now going to do things (few changes) and today - send him out to do deliveries, i wrote down the amount i gave him (without him knowing) and shouldve come back with $100 instead he came back with $90 !!!!

$10 SHORT !!!! ;)

I called him and asked about this, and he blatently denies even having $10

WHAT DO I DO ?????

Confused

Yeah,Theft is as you say "instantly sackable".

Lav & I spoke of this on sun/mon?& from what he has said to me it's not the 1st time the person in question has done this.

I say try & set him up or tell him that it's just not "working out".Either way your in a spot mate aren't you?

Can't elaborate more on this.

I voted "Let it slide",FOR NOW!

Edited by Bigfela

PSN:- Llewy13.

Thrillhouse Arcade member

Have a word with Workplace Relations. The old law was you have to give 1 x verbal warning and 2 x written warnings before you can sack anyone. Not sure about the new rules but isn't theft an instantly sackable offence?

That is certainly my understanding, but with the new IR laws size of the company now comes into play, different set of laws for <100 employees as to larger ones. If it was me I could never trust a person like that again, and with that in mind take appropriate steps to resolve it.

Regards

Rob

You could always increase his wages, so that he does not need the suppliments. :ph34r:

Perhaps he is not very good at Maths, and he is being done over by the customers, and is not smart enough to notice?

If you have concrete evidence against him, then you have to let him go (and get your money back). It seems like a poor situation.

Edited by zipp

Hmm, everythings upside down??

How long has he been there and if only for a short time did he get a three month probation in his agreement on starting? If he is still on probation then terminate him. Small businesses can't afford to lose money daily, not that anyone else can either but he ain't a team player.

Probably owns a Ford and needs the money to keep it on the road! :P:ph34r::lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Businesses with up to 100 staff are exempt from unfair dismissal laws.

So thats no problems....just the principle behind this all ... if he even dropped the $10 , he still has a responsibility for it as he is still working. Me, I wouldve said in that situation - well i mustve dropped it and i'll pay for it tomorrow when i work. Even if i dont fire him for theft, all this (if giving too much out to customers) is just INCOMPETENCE !

but we were $100 short in the till !

The $10 here and there add up (as above quote) how much more money can you throw away?

I think the answer is clear unfortunatly for him! :ph34r:

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

Mate, if your labour laws are anything like the NZ ones, you can catch him walking out the door with an armful of money, boasting of having blown your safe, and if you don't talk nicely to him, he'll get the employment lawyers to "do you" for a few thousand compensation for hurt feelings.

So tread very carefully, and document everything - and most of all, seek advice from your Employers Federation or whatever it's called as to the bullet-proof-ISH way to go about getting rid of him.

Unless you have a human kindness streak 20 miles wide, and want to try and redeem him, he WILL be a constant worry and liability, and may lead others to think THEY can do the same. He's a liability that may infect others.

Interviews and verbal warnings WITH witnesses are good . . . . written warnings that he has to sign a copy of back to you as he receives it, . . are good.

"RE-training" by you on how to handle and count money, . . . is good - it shows you have done ALLLLLLLLL you can to try and resolve any issue that MAY have NOT been dishonesty, to the best of your ability - very good in our labour market. Counts for lots of brownie points if you end up getting taken toa labour court by him for unfair dismissal, compensation, etc.

and yeah, it all stinks . . . .

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Whether or not i hurt his feelings . THEFT is an offence and instantly sackable. He got his warning the 2 days ago when we confronted him...but was $50 short for the monday shift as well, and $10 yesterday .... G O N E !

Thats right. Surprisingly it's also against the law. Leave of your own accord or I'll involve the police then watch him run for the door.

Thats right. Surprisingly it's also against the law. Leave of your own accord or I'll involve the police then watch him run for the door.

In NZ at least, THAT wording is called "blackmail" and if proven would result in both employment action against the employer costing thousands of $ AND likely CRIMINAL charges against the employer - and YES it DOES happen here.

I have a friend who got done both ways- despite having taken advice FROM the government wallies on how to go about it, and following said advice . .geat justice - not.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Now you wouldn't believe the audacity of this guy....!

He has used a mediator to try and bribe 1 weeks extra pay out of us, for not giving him 1 weeks notice ... (i thought stealing was inditable - ON THE SPOT) but has gone to IndRelations to try for a loop hole. BUT ... he came back that afternoon with a RESIGNATION LETTER - and the words EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY ! ! ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: now absolutely no leg to stand on .... but either way - have still the video evidence of him "stealing"

Just shows what employees of deplicitious nature are capable of trying. From now on, all my staff (the new ones) are on 6mth probationary periods.

LAV