Johno

Billy Carts

Anyone here have experience making the push along type cart?

I need to construct for my daughter as her school is having a billy cart grand prix

If anyone knows a good site with plans or has some construction tips ill all ears

We lived on a large hill. My father made me a couple but my favourite was simply made out of a wooden apple box planted on a few peaces of wood which acted as the sub frame and axles.

The wheels were you standard ball bearing type nailed onto the axles. The steering was controlled by two bits of rope passed through a gap in the wood to the front axle. This same gap was also my window to the world of pain.

My dad painted Mums Worry back of it so nobody was in doubt. It was my favourite because when you rolled it if you kept yourself wedged in tight below top of the box you avoided serious head injuries until you were thrown out. The plastic police helmet (with tinted visor) also helped me avoid more serious brain damage.

Anyway I’m starting to rant. They aren’t hard to make, three bids of wood a seat and some wheels and away you go. Keep it simple. Oh one other thing, I know my mother wishes she had more photos of me before I started my time in the cart. Something you may want to consider.

I did manage to find a cpl of sites that sort of helped but no one awesome site ;)

All the step by step sites were either for a basic 60's style cart or crazy contraptions requiring welding and pulleys to steer the thing

I've book marked a few that hopefully I can use to piece together something that looks a bit snazzy for her

I got on one of them once. I literally wet myself and had to run home in wet trous..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

the wheels are to small for my liking, 1 little stone and you've lost your steering, we used to go to the tip and raid the prams and pushers lol

I'm still uncertain - have we talked about slotbaker's leather covered girl's mount yet?? ;)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I built dozens of billy carts when I was a kid, one was a lawn mower frame with steerable front wheels but the best was a converted golf buggy. The golf buggy wheels made my billy cart the fastest in the street. Last one I built was last year.

Use the picture above posted by Count as your starting point but move the seat further back so that it’s supported by the cross brace. Build the length just right so your daughter’s feet rest on the front cross brace so she steers with her feet, not with the rope. The rope steering deflects even with the smallest bump in the road and the last thing you want is your daughter spearing off into the shrubbery.

Make it wide and low otherwise the cart will tip over through corners. Same principles as a slot car but bigger. If you make the seat as wide as the cart with high sides it gives you more surface area to paint whatever your daughter wants. My daughter attacked her cart with crayons and textas.

Whilst I don’t condone it, if you just happened to find a shopping trolley that’s been abandoned grab the wheels. I’ve been told they make excellent billy cart wheels. Bunnings sell different size wheels, the bigger the better but they start getting expensive. Bigger = faster but make sure you keep the carts C of G as low as possible.

If you really want to go wild get a couple of 12 inch wheels + front forks off the front of kids bikes (do it when the kids aren’t looking as they tend to cry a lot). Use the front forks to support the wheels and cut off the goosenecks. Weld the forks parallel to a frame running under the seat and build it so the seat is about 100cm off the ground. Use shopping trolley wheels for the front or ones from a hardware store.

Makes a very quick billy cart

Cheers

Paul

PS: Down in Canberra the Hot Rod Club runs a billy cart derby every year, lots of little Hot Rods built by proud dads. The best year was when someone entered a 1960’s rail dragster (without motor or gearbox) against 3 drunks in a cast iron bathtub.

The bathtub won but not after rolling at the bottom of the hill and loosing one of the guys. I’m not sure but I think to this date his mates are still looking for him.

Since then they put a weight limit on the “cartsâ€Â

May the downforce be with you.

Would a 3 wheel contraption work with a single wheel at the rear located behind the driver?

She has an old trike that has perfect wheels I could use but obviously it only has 3 wheels

Or would the balance be off and be too easy to roll

I'm still uncertain - have we talked about slotbaker's leather covered girl's mount yet?? :ph34r:

Just for you Eno.

Volvo-Extreme-Gravity-Car-Woman-Sitting-1280x960.jpg

:lol:

Now I know where the aeorodynamics come into play :P It's all about the smooth curves of vehicle and driver :P

Normal people worry me

I always dreamed of a billy cart with 4 BMX wheels and seating down lower than the wheels top ( always thought larger wheels = higher top end speed ) and being closer to the ground....

I'm still uncertain - have we talked about slotbaker's leather covered girl's mount yet?? <_<

Just for you Eno.

Volvo-Extreme-Gravity-Car-Woman-Sitting-1280x960.jpg

:minigun:

I'll take Billy, STUFF the cart!!!! ;) ( Where the hell is the drooling smilie????????????)

Stu

Old racers race harder

Well after one postponement due to weather the big billy cart race is on tomorrow.

The billycart is finished and were ready to race

DSCF3919.jpg

DSCF3921.jpg

I had originally tried to get away with a single wheel at the back (I got the wheels of an old trike) and while it looked great it

was a bit too unstable so I had to get some more wheels from bunnings and add 2 to the back

It runs like a bit of a brick but hopefully there will be some style prizes :huh2:

Well after one postponement due to weather the big billy cart race is on tomorrow.

The billycart is finished and were ready to race

DSCF3919.jpg

DSCF3921.jpg

I had originally tried to get away with a single wheel at the back (I got the wheels of an old trike) and while it looked great it

was a bit too unstable so I had to get some more wheels from bunnings and add 2 to the back

It runs like a bit of a brick but hopefully there will be some style prizes :(

The races at Upwey next??

hehehehe..looks like it will tip over on her..might wants some out riggers...heheheheh :angel:

later

lol

it actually ran pretty well on the day. The girls had some steering wobbles at the start but otherwise went well