Lap Timer Using Photo Interrupters

Bill

Hi guys I have just made up a timing unit using reed switches and i am not happy with it, i would like to use photo interrupters, does any one have the plan for connecting up photo interrupters to printer port on pc. Thanks Bill

I tried to do the printer port using the wiring provided with the lap timer 2000 software and I just could not get it working.

I switched over to the 15 pin joystick port and it worked first go

Hi johnno I used reed switches and they only work on some cars and tend to miss laps at times, so I was thinking of connecting up the sensor track that comes with the ninco lap counter, but it has four wires and the other circut only has three, so i would like to know if some one has any idea how to wire up these sensors. ( photo interrupters) Thanks Bill

I tried to do the printer port using the wiring provided with the lap timer 2000 software and I just could not get it working.

holly crapp, you really did, so do I get any "browny points" for that ?

and btw, have you found a fix for that interrupted power problem ?

grego

Edited by grego

Copied from Gergory Braun's site, because I can't describe it any better!

I use the "Trackmate" wiring version with a DB25 connector

Joystick Interface

The diagram below illustrates a typical slot car lap counter interface using the joystick game port found on most personal computers. The longer lead on the photo-cell (Emitter) is connected to the common signal ground (pin 4).

laptimerjoystick.gif

The numbered connections running down the left edge of the wiring diagram correspond to the numbered pins on the Joystick Game Port connector. The four sensors numbered Lane 1 - 4 correspond to the switches or photo-cells needed for each lane on your slot car track.

The 100K Ohm resistors aren't used by the lap counter itself, but must be included to represent the X- and Y-Axis potentiometers found in a joystick device. Without them MS Windows can not detect a joystick device connected to the game pad port.

Warning: Run two separate wires from each sensor at the track all of the way back to the connector at the computer. Do not tie the ground lines (pin 4) together under the track.

If your PC has a multi-media sound card installed check the connectors at the rear of this card, most sound cards have an integral 15-pin joystick game port built in. The standard joystick game port can handle up to four "fire" buttons, that is enough for a simple four lane lap counter. If your computer does not have a joystick game card installed you can purchase one for as little as $25.00 dollars.

You will also need to configure MS Windows to recognize the joystick interface cable you've built. Follow the instructions described in the Joystick Configuration section to define a suitable device.

Printer Interface

The diagrams below illustrate typical slot car lap counter interfaces using the Parallel Printer Port found on most personal computers. The longer lead on the photo-cell (Emitter) is connected to the common signal ground (pin 25).

laptimertrackmate.gif

laptimervrs.gif

The wiring diagrams above illustrate typical 4-lane lap counter interfaces. The numbered connections running down the left edge of the wiring diagram correspond to the numbered pins on the Parallel Printer Port connector. The four sensors numbered Lane 1 - 4 correspond to the switches or photo-cells needed for each lane of your slot car track.

Warning: Run two separate wires from each sensor at the track all of the way back to the connector at the computer. Do not tie the ground lines (pin 25) together under the track.

Note: Pins 18 - 25 on the standard LPT port are all grounded, so you could just as easily used separate ground pins for each of the four sensor lines.

Here is a link to a good wiring diagram for a DB25 connector. Unlike most, it actually tells you whether you are looking at the outside or the inside of the plug when it gives the pin numbers :lol:

Note! Diagrams show the view you see if your were to look into the connection from the outside

Pin Diagram for DB25

I used Dick Smith parts

ZD3235 5mm Infra red LEDs, and

ZD1951 3mm Photo-interrupters - (sensors)

I powered the LEDs with a 12V source, slightly overdriven in my case at 13.5V, with a 560 ohm resistor on the positive side of the power feed to EACH LED.

I wired the sensors as per the trackmate diagram above.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi johnno I used reed switches and they only work on some cars and tend to miss laps at times, so I was thinking of connecting up the sensor track that comes with the ninco lap counter, but it has four wires and the other circut only has three, so i would like to know if some one has any idea how to wire up these sensors. ( photo interrupters) Thanks Bill

Bill, go have a read of this:

SRM

Scroll down to the bottom in the "timing hardware" section to see the Ninco Pole Position Mod.

cheers.

Edited by espsix

Bill: Do use the DSE sensors they are by far better and more sensitive than any others I have tried, been using them for about 8 years with no problems. Also make sure that the resistors you use in the IR transmitters are 1 watt.

Phil

Thanks for the information guys, I have sorted the timer out, and used the piece of ninco track with the photo interrupters in it, had to run a separate power supply to it as well. Cheers Bill

Bill: Do use the DSE sensors they are by far better and more sensitive than any others I have tried, been using them for about 8 years with no problems. Also make sure that the resistors you use in the IR transmitters are 1 watt.

Phil

Thanks Phil, maybe why I am having troubles. Picked my IR's from Jaycar as DSE in two stores were out of them. How do I know if the ones I have are 1 watt.

I use printer port with laptimer 2000

timingwiring-1.jpg

Just what I needed also Gyprock - thanks

OTFS

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg