Copper Mill Raceway

222 replies to this topic

#41 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

Dave, you've really got yourself a great little race room there mate!

I don't usually look twice at plastic tracks, (We run on timber only - except for one track) but the work you and the Captain have done with the scenery is an obvious exception!!!
The brick sh*thouse looks very similar to the one over here at Winton, very good job with it!
The flaggie's tower is spot on for the era, looks great.

Do you have a timing system and screen? Can't see one.

More pics, more scenery!

Dick
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread
Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

#42 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

View Postknoath, on Mar 5 2009, 05:45 AM, said:

Dave, you've really got yourself a great little race room there mate!

I don't usually look twice at plastic tracks, (We run on timber only - except for one track) but the work you and the Captain have done with the scenery is an obvious exception!!!
The brick sh*thouse looks very similar to the one over here at Winton, very good job with it!
The flaggie's tower is spot on for the era, looks great.

Do you have a timing system and screen? Can't see one.

More pics, more scenery!

Dick

Dick,

The routed tracks do look pretty good so fair call about the plastic ones. I dont have a timing screen but was looking into it. The last track and table we made up had a dingo timing system hooked up to a computer - that worked a treat. But with this one being Ninco digital it isnt really possible to have a computer timing system. It is one of the MAJOR flaws with Ninco digital unfortunately. Ideally one day I would like to set up to a scorpius digital system and run 16 cars on the track at once. that would enable a computer timing system. Even though this track isnt that big, I would think that 16 cars would fit alright - 4 cars on average per lane same as what Ninco Digital 2 lane currently runs with 8 cars.

I am still yet to name the track as well...not that it matters that much but I'll come up with something soon.

Cheers for your comments mate

Dave

#43 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Firstly....all the bloody copper taping is finished..that was a mission and a half to get it neat - The track doesnt look that big but keep in mind there are 4 lanes. I have also hooked up Rich Gs simple H mod that he did for me. The H-mod and copper make massive improvement when running bulk cars. I am currently running 14 volts at the PSU but would like to see what sort of drop I get around the track. The cars are going plenty fast enough at 14volts anyway.

other than that, just a bit more scenery........

Posted Image
Rich Gs H mod unit

Posted Image
Pit entry

Posted Image
Last corner of track now cleaned up

Posted Image
more gravel traps installed

Posted Image
Copper Tape!!

There are some more scenery shots that didnt come out that well. We have done a bit more of that black rock stuff that is under the windmill on another corner and are planning to put a white painted haulage earthmoving type truck tyre on the corner or something to that effect.

As a tip if anyone wants to put rocks on their track, I have been using the dog rocks that you put in your dogs water bowl. Instead of throwing them out once they stop working in the dogs water, I have been putting them around the track in low risk (car damage) areas - they dont look too bad either if I do say so myself

By the way - also named the track 'Copper Mill Raceway'

Cheers

Dave

Edited by GTR XU-1, 01 April 2009 - 01:04 AM.

#44 aussieslotter

Digital Dude

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:21 AM

Any multilane LCs to get from lane 2 to 3 and back?
Nice set up by the way =)

Edited by aussieslotter, 01 April 2009 - 03:22 AM.

#45 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

What are the 'Dog Rocks'?
Track looks great Dave...
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread

#46 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Cheers guys,

Three single lane changers in a row down the second straight all to the right so you can go from lane 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 or part there of and then three single lane changers to the left down the back straight so you can go 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 or part there of.

The dog rocks are just scattered around the place but I didnt really get any good pics of them. will get some later

Dave

#47 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

OK, but what are they?

Edit:
Did a Google search and found this.
Amazing what people will adapt for scenery!

Edited by knoath, 01 April 2009 - 09:48 AM.

Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread

#48 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Dick,

Dog rocks - I'm not convinced these things serve any purpose other than making rock/boulder landscaping for slot tracks. There is one under the levi sign in the last turn... although that is a pretty small one. I have a dog at home, but don't run the dog rocks in it's water... I think they are like Brocky's polarizer from the 80's.

It's a mung bean hippy product you get from some dog stores and I don't think they are cheap. You throw these slate / granite looking rocks in your dawgs water bowl and apperantly when your hound takes a leak on your lawn, it stops the lawn from going brown. Dave has just found another use for them when the magic spell wears off.

Sorry about the sarcasm Dave... I'm sure a couple of boondies (spelling?) in the dawgs water bowl works. ;)

David, I should be around on Sunday for more work when our wives go to this kids book selling party / scam. I'll bring my camera and tripod, cos I reckon we can get better pics.

Aussieslotter - More lane changes may be added at a later date. They are pretty pricey and we'll just see how this goes for now.

#49 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Also just quickly... squint your eyes and look under the light blue yellow camel sign for dog rocks

#50 KarKraft

GT40 fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Nice work guys. The trees are great. I've plopped a couple of bushes on my scenery and it looks out of place, whereas yours looks properly planted. Can you put together a how-to on making the trees with lots of pics?

Also can we have some more close-ups of the buildings, especially the garages, they look schmick!

Just noticed all the Trans Am pics on the walls. Where did you get those?

Edited by KarKraft, 01 April 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#51 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

View PostKarKraft, on Apr 1 2009, 02:40 PM, said:

Nice work guys. The trees are great. I've plopped a couple of bushes on my scenery and it looks out of place, whereas yours looks properly planted. Can you put together a how-to on making the trees with lots of pics?

Also can we have some more close-ups of the buildings, especially the garages, they look schmick!

Just noticed all the Trans Am pics on the walls. Where did you get those?

http://www.trans-amseries.com/ I just printed the photos out from that site.

The garage was dead easy and if you have a look at it it pretty much flat. Its just a piece of balsa with some brick pattern glued to it and modelling corrugated iron glued to it to make the roller doors. I have then just painted some more bits of balsa grey to make the door frames and put a bulk head across the top of the building.

There is no skill in these trees either. I did buy some relatively expensive ones though that look pretty good, clump them together and hey presto. I can see if I can track down where I bought the trees from (it was online). The clumping vegetation is a little more skillful though.

Dave

#52 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

KK,

Nice one Dave... you just beat me to replying...

Trans-Am pics were just printed off this site on a home printer... http://www.trans-amseries.com/
They have a bit of a gallery on that site somewhere.

As for the trees... We tried making trees on our last track at our parents house... They were ok... but fell apart a bit. This time, we cheated, David just got them from somewhere over the net already made. Suppliers vary greatly in quality. I think David stumbled upon one that was reasonably priced and looked good. David - Have you still got details???

The garages are easy - being 2D due to space limitations... you can get scale corrigated iron from most hobby stores to use as roller doors... (Stanbridges in Perth sell it anyway)... we could look up the product code if you wanted to by it from them over the net. David made the garages... so he is best to comment. Brick is just brick card from a hobby store glued on Balsa wood or MDF or whatever, then get strips of balsa, paint it grey (cement texture) and use that for borders around garages or across the top. Add a few choice stickers and away you go.

Other buildings along the main straight + grandstands are just repainted scalextrics buildings... David took the time to repaint them.

The dunnies are just Balsa walls on Balsa base covered in brick card. Floor painted grey + dirt mark etc. The Tops of the brick walls are just pop sticks painted like cement... as is the lintel above the entry. Then Make some trusses out of pop sticks... Add a corrigated tin roof and glue it together.

There is nothing special with what we do... it is as amateur as you can make it. No previous modelling experience. Most of the signs and home made buildings are just PVA and Balsa... then spray painted a cream colour.

Scenery is all woodland scenics type stuff... and Lots of glue!!!

Edited by Captain, 01 April 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#53 KarKraft

GT40 fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Guys,

I was just looking at your pics on slotforum, where you have lots of images of your lifting system. Whilst you have a secondary support in case of failure, you might like to use some rigging pratices to your turnbuckles, shackles and hooks. With repeated loading and unloading, the risks of things becoming undone are lessened by 'mousing' with wire, kind-of like lock-wiring bolts on a race car.

http://www.tpub.com/...lworker2/66.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/1...s/14273_243.htm

#54 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:44 PM

I engineer lifting systems for concrete tilt panels for a living. I havent had much to do with Daves rig. I might give it a look next time Im over. It looks pretty safe from what I have seen. edit.....I just check the pics in slot forum...those tiny hooks look like they could deform with time..cheers for the info. having said that 500kg really isnt a lot of weight. thanks all the same kk. Might pay to do some of that mousing to be safe.

Edited by Captain, 02 April 2009 - 12:01 AM.

#55 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

It's been a few weeks...

I went round to Daves place on Sunday night for some more work. While we didn't achieve what we thought we would we still got some work done. We run out of some scenic materials hence the hold up. The back straight has had some work done, but no pics as yet. There is a corrugated/post retaining wall going in along the back, but looks fairly average at the moment. David and I were saying last night that this track doesn't have much in the way of interesting scenery or many features... like brick bridges, towers, buildings, etc... but we've tried to maintain an old primitive style circuit from the late 60's with few facilities... so appologies if the scenery around the track is fairly rhetorical. Also, my camera battery died halfway though the night, so these were taken early on.

Anyway, here are some more pics...

Here is the main straight again... nothing special, just has the camaro's and mustangs on the grid. David's goal is to have every livery in his fleet.
Posted Image

Pit lane... The people have been added with black bases. David had a dig around in the old man's shed and dug up some old scalextrics rims and tires from the 60's and they fit in well. I didn't think to get any close up photos of them, but they look good in the pit.
Posted Image

Last turn again... Just shows more of the camaro / mustang collection. If you look to the back, you can see the beginnings of the retaining wall.
Posted Image

The second track official box... just added last night
Posted Image

The cross over on the main straight... white fence added near grandstand + official stand. More work was done to the scenery later in the night as we were never happy with that area... but no pics.
Posted Image

More to come...

Edited by Captain, 28 April 2009 - 12:28 AM.

#56 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

Looking across track from back straight to middle hill. David worked on that last night more shrubbery.
Posted Image

Looking out from camel corner. The infamous "dog rocks" can be seen here.
Posted Image

Another shot from camel corner.
Posted Image

Another shot down pit straight...
Posted Image

Anyway, Not much change from last time. More work was done, but as I said, I ran out of camera battery.

I think next time we work on the track, we will finish it all off. So we should have pics of the back straight area for you.

#57 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:27 AM

Well Captain and I have just finished another night and had a really good crack at finishing the scenery.I would say it is about 99% complete. Pictures will come very shortly.

The ninco digital track is now running spot on and recording lap times and registering all cars on all lanes. The lane changers are pretty much working everytime and the system on the whole is working great. I have chipped all my cars and will be having my first racing night on the 11th of July with close friends and family. They will pretty much be the guinea pigs so I can iron out any faults or methods of hosting future nights. I should have around 20 - 25 racers and have 27 transam series camaros and mustangs ready to rock and roll. Rules will be strict as to limit damage as I am supplying all cars and the track....and beers and BBQ.

I just need to give the outer frame of the table its final coat of paint and clean up the shed and all is complete. Will keep you posted and hopefully will be able to get some videos on youtube of the racing.

I must say, whilst Captain and I are by no means comparable with some of the other exceptional scenery modellers on this site or slotforum.com, upon reflection tonight, we are very happy how the track has turned out and have been adding finishing touches like white tractor tyres for barriers, collision paint on guard rail and tyre barriers etc. Like I said, will get some photos up soon for you all.

Cheers,

Dave

#58 knoath

Formula 3 Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

Don't talk yourselves down Dave... one of the best tracks round here... it's unmistakably Aussie!!! :whip2:
Look forward to the pics! :lol:

Dick
Cheers,
Dick

SCMR build thread

#59 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

If you've been following this build you'll notice the photos appear fuzzy. The lighting in David's shed is fairly dim, so that combined with poor equipment and no photography skill results in pics which don't really do the track justice, but you get the idea.

The last sector of the circuit copped some scenerey. I reckon we need to put a rusty broken down support vehicle near that white tyre (behind the large bill board).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The retaining wall (at the back) is still unfinished and we ran out of materials for the scenery strip along the top of the retainng wall but that won't take long to do.
Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice Dave has added paint marks on the armco...
Posted Image

The lane changers that haven't been shown yet... so here they are...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain, 07 June 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#60 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

View PostCaptain, on Jun 7 2009, 09:15 PM, said:

If you've been following this build you'll notice the photos appear fuzzy. The lighting in David's shed is fairly dim, so that combined with poor equipment and no photography skill results in pics which don't really do the track justice, but you get the idea.

The last sector of the circuit copped some scenerey. I reckon we need to put a rusty broken down support vehicle near that white tyre (behind the large bill board).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The retaining wall (at the back) is still unfinished and we ran out of materials for the scenery strip along the top of the retainng wall but that won't take long to do.
Posted Image

Posted Image

You'll notice Dave has added paint marks on the armco...
Posted Image

The lane changers that haven't been shown yet... so here they...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Fantastic job on the diarama guys ,must be a delight to drive around such a visual paradise , hope the carnage on race night doesn't ruin all your hard work, Syd
West Australian Slot Car Racing Group
web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com
email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com
mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users