GTR XU-1

Copper Mill Raceway

Nice work guys. The trees are great. I've plopped a couple of bushes on my scenery and it looks out of place, whereas yours looks properly planted. Can you put together a how-to on making the trees with lots of pics?

Also can we have some more close-ups of the buildings, especially the garages, they look schmick!

Just noticed all the Trans Am pics on the walls. Where did you get those?

http://www.trans-amseries.com/ I just printed the photos out from that site.

The garage was dead easy and if you have a look at it it pretty much flat. Its just a piece of balsa with some brick pattern glued to it and modelling corrugated iron glued to it to make the roller doors. I have then just painted some more bits of balsa grey to make the door frames and put a bulk head across the top of the building.

There is no skill in these trees either. I did buy some relatively expensive ones though that look pretty good, clump them together and hey presto. I can see if I can track down where I bought the trees from (it was online). The clumping vegetation is a little more skillful though.

Dave

KK,

Nice one Dave... you just beat me to replying...

Trans-Am pics were just printed off this site on a home printer... http://www.trans-amseries.com/

They have a bit of a gallery on that site somewhere.

As for the trees... We tried making trees on our last track at our parents house... They were ok... but fell apart a bit. This time, we cheated, David just got them from somewhere over the net already made. Suppliers vary greatly in quality. I think David stumbled upon one that was reasonably priced and looked good. David - Have you still got details???

The garages are easy - being 2D due to space limitations... you can get scale corrigated iron from most hobby stores to use as roller doors... (Stanbridges in Perth sell it anyway)... we could look up the product code if you wanted to by it from them over the net. David made the garages... so he is best to comment. Brick is just brick card from a hobby store glued on Balsa wood or MDF or whatever, then get strips of balsa, paint it grey (cement texture) and use that for borders around garages or across the top. Add a few choice stickers and away you go.

Other buildings along the main straight + grandstands are just repainted scalextrics buildings... David took the time to repaint them.

The dunnies are just Balsa walls on Balsa base covered in brick card. Floor painted grey + dirt mark etc. The Tops of the brick walls are just pop sticks painted like cement... as is the lintel above the entry. Then Make some trusses out of pop sticks... Add a corrigated tin roof and glue it together.

There is nothing special with what we do... it is as amateur as you can make it. No previous modelling experience. Most of the signs and home made buildings are just PVA and Balsa... then spray painted a cream colour.

Scenery is all woodland scenics type stuff... and Lots of glue!!!

Edited by Captain

Guys,

I was just looking at your pics on slotforum, where you have lots of images of your lifting system. Whilst you have a secondary support in case of failure, you might like to use some rigging pratices to your turnbuckles, shackles and hooks. With repeated loading and unloading, the risks of things becoming undone are lessened by 'mousing' with wire, kind-of like lock-wiring bolts on a race car.

http://www.tpub.com/steelworker2/66.htm

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/1...s/14273_243.htm

I engineer lifting systems for concrete tilt panels for a living. I havent had much to do with Daves rig. I might give it a look next time Im over. It looks pretty safe from what I have seen. edit.....I just check the pics in slot forum...those tiny hooks look like they could deform with time..cheers for the info. having said that 500kg really isnt a lot of weight. thanks all the same kk. Might pay to do some of that mousing to be safe.

Edited by Captain

It's been a few weeks...

I went round to Daves place on Sunday night for some more work. While we didn't achieve what we thought we would we still got some work done. We run out of some scenic materials hence the hold up. The back straight has had some work done, but no pics as yet. There is a corrugated/post retaining wall going in along the back, but looks fairly average at the moment. David and I were saying last night that this track doesn't have much in the way of interesting scenery or many features... like brick bridges, towers, buildings, etc... but we've tried to maintain an old primitive style circuit from the late 60's with few facilities... so appologies if the scenery around the track is fairly rhetorical. Also, my camera battery died halfway though the night, so these were taken early on.

Anyway, here are some more pics...

Here is the main straight again... nothing special, just has the camaro's and mustangs on the grid. David's goal is to have every livery in his fleet.

PICT7153.jpg

Pit lane... The people have been added with black bases. David had a dig around in the old man's shed and dug up some old scalextrics rims and tires from the 60's and they fit in well. I didn't think to get any close up photos of them, but they look good in the pit.

PICT7154.jpg

Last turn again... Just shows more of the camaro / mustang collection. If you look to the back, you can see the beginnings of the retaining wall.

PICT7163.jpg

The second track official box... just added last night

PICT7165.jpg

The cross over on the main straight... white fence added near grandstand + official stand. More work was done to the scenery later in the night as we were never happy with that area... but no pics.

PICT7166.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Captain

Looking across track from back straight to middle hill. David worked on that last night more shrubbery.

PICT7168.jpg

Looking out from camel corner. The infamous "dog rocks" can be seen here.

PICT7172.jpg

Another shot from camel corner.

PICT7173.jpg

Another shot down pit straight...

PICT7184.jpg

Anyway, Not much change from last time. More work was done, but as I said, I ran out of camera battery.

I think next time we work on the track, we will finish it all off. So we should have pics of the back straight area for you.

Well Captain and I have just finished another night and had a really good crack at finishing the scenery.I would say it is about 99% complete. Pictures will come very shortly.

The ninco digital track is now running spot on and recording lap times and registering all cars on all lanes. The lane changers are pretty much working everytime and the system on the whole is working great. I have chipped all my cars and will be having my first racing night on the 11th of July with close friends and family. They will pretty much be the guinea pigs so I can iron out any faults or methods of hosting future nights. I should have around 20 - 25 racers and have 27 transam series camaros and mustangs ready to rock and roll. Rules will be strict as to limit damage as I am supplying all cars and the track....and beers and BBQ.

I just need to give the outer frame of the table its final coat of paint and clean up the shed and all is complete. Will keep you posted and hopefully will be able to get some videos on youtube of the racing.

I must say, whilst Captain and I are by no means comparable with some of the other exceptional scenery modellers on this site or slotforum.com, upon reflection tonight, we are very happy how the track has turned out and have been adding finishing touches like white tractor tyres for barriers, collision paint on guard rail and tyre barriers etc. Like I said, will get some photos up soon for you all.

Cheers,

Dave

If you've been following this build you'll notice the photos appear fuzzy. The lighting in David's shed is fairly dim, so that combined with poor equipment and no photography skill results in pics which don't really do the track justice, but you get the idea.

The last sector of the circuit copped some scenerey. I reckon we need to put a rusty broken down support vehicle near that white tyre (behind the large bill board).

PICT7476.jpg

PICT7478.jpg

PICT7479.jpg

PICT7481.jpg

PICT7484.jpg

PICT7490.jpg

The retaining wall (at the back) is still unfinished and we ran out of materials for the scenery strip along the top of the retainng wall but that won't take long to do.

PICT7482.jpg

PICT7486.jpg

You'll notice Dave has added paint marks on the armco...

PICT7491.jpg

The lane changers that haven't been shown yet... so here they are...

PICT7492.jpg

PICT7494.jpg

Edited by Captain

If you've been following this build you'll notice the photos appear fuzzy. The lighting in David's shed is fairly dim, so that combined with poor equipment and no photography skill results in pics which don't really do the track justice, but you get the idea.

The last sector of the circuit copped some scenerey. I reckon we need to put a rusty broken down support vehicle near that white tyre (behind the large bill board).

PICT7476.jpg

PICT7478.jpg

PICT7479.jpg

PICT7481.jpg

PICT7484.jpg

PICT7490.jpg

The retaining wall (at the back) is still unfinished and we ran out of materials for the scenery strip along the top of the retainng wall but that won't take long to do.

PICT7482.jpg

PICT7486.jpg

You'll notice Dave has added paint marks on the armco...

PICT7491.jpg

The lane changers that haven't been shown yet... so here they...

PICT7492.jpg

PICT7494.jpg

Fantastic job on the diarama guys ,must be a delight to drive around such a visual paradise , hope the carnage on race night doesn't ruin all your hard work, Syd

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

Wow really nice track guys! awesome job on the details I really like it, a nice flowy 4 laner too by the looks of it.

It's nice to see some good tracks in my hometown getting built!

Well done, it will give me something to aspire to when I build mine...

I Miss Brocky...

Ok.....I really am hoping this is posted on page 4 because page 3 is littered with photos!!!

I just took a few shots to give you guys an overall layout of the just abot finish track and then a few close ups. We still have to put a bit of scrub and small trees on top of the tin retaining wall. I promise I wont put any more pics up until our first race night!!!

P6070017.jpg

P6070023.jpg

P6070013.jpg

P6070021.jpg

P6070012.jpg

P6070008.jpg

P6070009.jpg

P6070011.jpg

P6070015.jpg

P6070018.jpg

P6070024.jpg

Apologies for the blury nature of some of the shots....I need a camera tripod!!

Dave

Thanks for the pics,it looks great. Are all those trees from Ebay?

Nice work.

Phil,

The trees arent from ebay....it was some online scenery shop....but I bought them about 18months ago and cant remember where it was from. They werent that cheap though. There is probably about $500 of trees on the table. They did have a massive variety and different scales including trees that were about 40cm tall. Will see if I can find the web site again for you if you are interested.

Dave

Spectacular! Thanks for proving plastic can be truly fantastic.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Captain and I were looking for some kind of rusty ute or flat bed truck that we could position to fill a blank space on one of the corners. Captain found this on ebay in the US...1:32 suits the era, flashing light, so it will be used as a model recovery vehicle. We will water down a rust colour paint and just lightly go over the grill and under tray so the truck doesnt look so immaculate. I thought it was a good find especially with the chains on the back truck bed. it cost a wopping $14US plus $12US postage!!!! Knoath - there are other ones and colours available that might suit your track if you are interested. search 1:32 flatbed truck on ebay

Pickuptruck.jpg

Dave

Sweet lookin' truck. I've been buying all the 1:32 scale model kits I can find. I think there's at least one of them that I intend to turn into a rusty old paddock bomb parked beneath a tree somewhere near the track.

Dave I'd just grab a weathering kit, Tamiya and some of the other model co's do them, it'll give you palettes of rust and dust and other fun stuff to apply to the truck to give it some age and character. But you've got a great base there to start with.

Cheers boys.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Cheers Ember for the weathering kit info - have you used them? I dont want a thick weathered look though - just age it a little bit so it doesnt have a fresh glowing paint and chrome look.

Dave

Ok.....I really am hoping this is posted on page 4 because page 3 is littered with photos!!!

I just took a few shots to give you guys an overall layout of the just abot finish track and then a few close ups. We still have to put a bit of scrub and small trees on top of the tin retaining wall. I promise I wont put any more pics up until our first race night!!!

P6070017.jpg

P6070023.jpg

P6070013.jpg

P6070021.jpg

P6070012.jpg

P6070008.jpg

P6070009.jpg

P6070011.jpg

P6070015.jpg

P6070018.jpg

P6070024.jpg

Apologies for the blury nature of some of the shots....I need a camera tripod!!

Dave

Nice compact layout. I see colourbond in the background, do you have any issues with heat affecting the tiffany tape on the lane power bars?

Chris

H.M.C.C

Havent had the track in real hot temps since copper taping. About 35 degrees but it held up alright. I made sure the track was super clean before I applied it though for maximum adhesion - vacuum cleaner and shellite. Its been holding up in the cold alright and we have been getting down to about 4 and 5 degs at night.

By the way.....the track is compact in layout but I dont know if the 400mm high table border is throwing people off for the overall compactness. The table is a reasonable size....5m x 2.5m

Cheers mate

Dave

Havent had the track in real hot temps since copper taping. About 35 degrees but it held up alright. I made sure the track was super clean before I applied it though for maximum adhesion - vacuum cleaner and shellite. Its been holding up in the cold alright and we have been getting down to about 4 and 5 degs at night.

By the way.....the track is compact in layout but I dont know if the 400mm high table border is throwing people off for the overall compactness. The table is a reasonable size....5m x 2.5m

Cheers mate

Dave

800...Deceptive, no problems with cars doing a 'double axel'and biting the concrete then!!

Cheers, Chris :huh:

Chris

H.M.C.C

Cheers Ember for the weathering kit info - have you used them? I dont want a thick weathered look though - just age it a little bit so it doesnt have a fresh glowing paint and chrome look.

Dave

Haven't tried them myself yet Dave, but it's where I'm going to be heading. I've seen the outcome of them by a train guy I know. And looking at the rest of his work, he's a little ham fisted, so in the hands of someone with a bit of flair (like yourselves) it should be good. Looking at the stuff I've used similar on ceramics. The set that I looked at was a rub-on like a a solid cream style eyeshadow (ask the girls, they'll know what I mean), almost like old fashioned grease paint. There are powder varieties also, but this one rubbed on to build up effect a bit like dry-brushing.

I'm waiting on a couple of kits to arrive, one of which might eventually get to be a hotrod or something, but I'm just about to order some primer and paints for when they arrive. A weathering kit will be on the list, I've just got to decide which one. I've seen them on ebay regularly too.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg