2008 Melbourne Nationals F430.

decraigs

Al

Thanks for that. However, could you send me the link to the IMCA rules where only the driver seat is required. On our side we have adopted the IMCA rules, but ours clearly state the use of the passenger seat.

Some of our guys have also found that with the lexan interior they had to cut the bottom of the roll cage to be able to fit properly. However, I have trial fitted mine and it seems no problem to fir the complete roll cage.

Here is my start, the white has been done - hopefully I'll be finish with my 'practise' F430 next week ....... (darn, I can't post a photo, what am I doing wrong, or what's going on?)

Oh well, I'll ahve to enlist some experts here ............ :devil:

Cheers

Springbok Racer

'The older I get the faster I was.'

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

Of course the Ferrari F430 Challenge Class for the Australian Model Car Championships is based on the IMCA Regulations. However over there in Belgium they are still fine-tuning their rules as the IMCA Worlds are only at the end of July this year.

However with our Australian Nationals less then 6 weeks away, we cannot affort rule changes anymore. Therefore we adopted the IMCA Regulations as they were approx. two month ago and at this time a second seat was required in the cockpit among with some other minor differences.

So, for the Australian Nationals only the Ferrari F430 Challenge Class Regulations as published at the Mobile Raceway's Forum website are to be used. And there should be no problem at all.

Hope this clears things ?

Cheers

Werner

Guys,

Of course the Ferrari F430 Challenge Class for the Australian Model Car Championships is based on the IMCA Regulations. However over there in Belgium they are still fine-tuning their rules as the IMCA Worlds are only at the end of July this year.

However with our Australian Nationals less then 6 weeks away, we cannot affort rule changes anymore. Therefore we adopted the IMCA Regulations as they were approx. two month ago and at this time a second seat was required in the cockpit among with some other minor differences.

So, for the Australian Nationals only the Ferrari F430 Challenge Class Regulations as published at the Mobile Raceway's Forum website are to be used. And there should be no problem at all.

Hope this clears things ?

Cheers

Werner

Werner

No worries mate, I don't think anyone was trying to get any rules changed at this late stage :aussie: . Obviously the Aussie Nats are upon us and we don't need to change any rules now. However, for those of us with international racing interests, the latest IMCA rules for this class is of importance B) .

So Al, please send me that link ......... :P

Cheers

Springbok Racer

Werner

No worries mate, I don't think anyone was trying to get any rules changed at this late stage :aussie: . Obviously the Aussie Nats are upon us and we don't need to change any rules now. However, for those of us with international racing interests, the latest IMCA rules for this class is of importance B) .

So Al, please send me that link ......... :P

Cheers

Springbok Racer

.....I have international racing interests too......

So any questions about IMCA; DSC; DTSW; Grp2,4,5; NASCAR124, SLP and anything else, ask your local dealer.

The IMCA Regulations are in the IMCA Rulebook 2008 - 2010 :

CLICK HERE

Your particular interest is article 6.

Cheers

Werner

So any questions about IMCA; DSC; DTSW; Grp2,4,5; NASCAR124, SLP and anything else, ask your local dealer.

Cheers

Werner

................. I see I don't have to, he has already given me the answer ................. :P

Thanks

Springbok Racer

Just finished my F430: Complete car weight is 182,2 grams, complete body (including interior and mounts) weight is 64.1 grams and the complete interior weight is 18,6 grams.

I have used the kit windows and could save 4 grams there, but I don't like the lexan window fit. The wheel inserts were made from the Fujimi kit wheels. The chassis is a Schoeler Profi 55 using a carbon kit.

Cheers

Springbok Racer

IMGP1980.jpg

IMGP1981.jpg

IMGP1983.jpg

IMGP1984.jpg

IMGP1985.jpg

IMGP1986.jpg

IMGP1987.jpg

:) That looks awesome Jan,

But I'd have a problem with the missing piece(s) of chassis plates in the front nose.. There's a pice you've left off in the middle, so I know the undertray is not there either.. :)

And, you should paint the white over the bonnet before you put the Numbers on.. You can see the dark colour bleed through the number panels..

Awesome look car my man.

Regards

Big Al

Boys and their Toys...

B) That looks awesome Jan,

But I'd have a problem with the missing piece(s) of chassis plates in the front nose.. There's a pice you've left off in the middle, so I know the undertray is not there either.. :P

And, you should paint the white over the bonnet before you put the Numbers on.. You can see the dark colour bleed through the number panels..

Awesome look car my man.

Regards

Big Al

Thanks to Werner for doing that post for me ........... I'm still having trouble posting photo's :D:):)

Al

The front undertray is there and so is the piece (or what's left of it after I cut away for the guide to move) in the middle. :) The photo's are perhaps not complimentary to my painting/building because the number panels don't shine through in the flesh either - must be the angle ;)

Anyway I am very happy with my first effort on a hardbody. Must admit, I'd rather paint a clear lexan body any day. But, thankfully all my years of painting RC aircraft has stood me in good stead.

Now for the Red Bull one ............

Cheers

Springbok Racer

Edited by Springbok Racer

B) That looks awesome Jan,

But I'd have a problem with the missing piece(s) of chassis plates in the front nose.. There's a pice you've left off in the middle, so I know the undertray is not there either.. :P

Awesome look car my man.

Regards

Big Al

Thanks to Werner for doing that post for me ........... I'm still having trouble posting photo's :D:):)

Al

The front undertray is there and so is the piece (or what's left of it after I cut away for the guide to move) in the middle. :) The photo's are perhaps not complimentary to my painting/building because the number panels don't shine through in the flesh either - must be the angle ;)

Anyway I am very happy with my first effort on a hardbody. Must admit, I'd rather paint a clear lexan body any day. But, thankfully all my years of painting RC aircraft has stood me in good stead.

Now for the Red Bull one ............

Cheers

Springbok Racer

Hi Guys

First, my apologies for the double post - big time finger trouble.

Just had my first test with the F430. This one is not for the faint hearted - or at least not on one of our small tight Queensland tarcks. We normally run our Porsche GT3's (with Fox motor and similar chassis specs, but with clear PETG body) around Stu Burrow's Coomera circuit at a 4.0 and 4.1 second lap time. My first run with the F430 was around 4.5 and after about 3 hours of trial and error, I'm down to 4.2 seconds. No, I was not using the Melbourne gear ratio as this would leave me with very little brakes on Stu's track. It would also not test the true handling abilities of the car. I ended up with 10:44. This worked fine and only left me to sort out the handling. The car was doing exactly what the GT3's use to do, pop the front end out as you come out the corner. After playing around with some different body spacers and bits of lead I now have a car that weighs in at 195 grams - 13 grams up from the initial build weight.

One of the things that became very clear to me was the weight ratio between body and chassis - this obviously points more specifically to the centre of gravity and therefor keeping the body as light as possible, higher up. Initial gutfeel indicates a ratio of better than 2 : 1, ie. body less than one third of the total car weight. So if you can get the total body weight to the minimum of 50 grams and the total car weight at the 170 gram, mark. then you'll be spot-on, provided the car is handling with your chassis setup. My Red Bull race body will definately use the lexan windows - I'll just have to make them fit nicely. The 50 gram minimum is goal number one ........ good luck with that, my Red Bull body parts pre assembly are already 54 grams.

Another few points to consider; the light lenses pop out for nothing, so does the rear window (Andrew had this too). I also had a complete head light unit come out after a meeting with a barrier. These cars are heavy and they smack hard when they de-slot. Make sure you glue all these parts properly. The rules state specifically, that certain parts coming off during the race, has to be refitted during race time. As for leaving black lines on the track - you've got to see it to believe it. This leads to a very quick grip up of the track and the inevitable tip action coming out the corner. Don't even think of using any treatment on the track or the tyres. Get the back end sliding and the front end planted. Hope Peter (Mobile Raceways) will clean the track before the F430 race, or we are going to have to turn down those controllers big time.

Anyway, time to go build my second chassis with a few differences - always do two and then develope them against each other ........... :)

Cheers

Springbok Racer

:aussie:

Suggestion. Don't use the normal glues you might think will work. You HAVE to use a 2 part epoxy glue, as what Jan says is right, they lose bits easily. I use a 5 minute curing 2 part epoxy which comes in like a double-barrel syringe.. Is clear, and drys clear, so can be used on Windows etc. If the rules permit, I suggest the Lexan Windows for sure Jan. Another suggestion. If you can, try cut the side windows away from the Windscreen.. ie: Glue them in as seperate pieces.. Also helps to keep a little flexibility and helps them fit better. Don't make the Engine and Interior one piece. Glue the Engine in on it's own, then the rear window part, then tape in the Interior.

When you get a chance, take some Pics of the chassis setup if you don't mind, or email to me.. I'd like to see what your final setup looks like ok.

Chow chow

Big Al

Boys and their Toys...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

My Red Bull race car is finish and I have managed to keep the complete body weight down to 55 grams. So, the 50 gram goal is possible - without paint, that is.

RBF4305.jpg

The rear end ...........

RBF4304.jpg

......... and the front end, with clear 'car-bra' to protect my paint job. Also front light lens security strips (stop the lenses from popping out) ....

RBF4303.jpg

A posing shot .........

RBF4302.jpg

...and another .........

RBF4301-1.jpg

The rear window demisting lines are drawn on the lexan, and the matt black tape is again security to keep the rear window on the car ..... Also a bit of clear on the roof to protect my paintwork untill the actual race and concourse - when I'll peel it off.

Let us know how you are progressing with your F430(s). This weekend a few of us are getting together to test our F430's and after that it should be clear who is sorted and who need's to re-think ..........

Cheers

Springbok Racer

Hi Mark

Got my Red Bull decals from Werner at Ace Hobbies. He sells them in a set of four, two Porsche GT3's, one BMW and the Ferrari one.

Yes, the wheels are my racing wheels - the inserts are made from the kit wheels.

........... think I'll depend on my good looking mates to impress the Red Bull girls ......... :chase:

See you soon in Melbourne.

Springbok Racer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Well after some rather serious testing of my F430 I have come to the following conclusions:

- the weight of the body is very important and should be kept to an absolute minimum.

- the only 'good' weight to add to the body are the body mounts as they are low down.

- the weight of the chassis needs to be distributed for best handling and should not include any 'extra' weight like pieces of lead.

- a car of 195 gram is markedly slower to accelerate by comparrison to a 175 gram car.

I have managed to get down to the 4.1's on our Coomera track, but firmly believe 4.0's are possible if I can get closer to the goal weights for body and total car. This whilst improving the overall handling of the car will stand me in good stead for the Kingleman.

So little time, so much to sort out .............

How's the rest of you doing?

Springbok racer

Mark,

Those three F430's look soooooooooo good together, maybe you should drive them at the same time :clap: :D I like the Marlboro colour scheme, but the yellow one will stand out very well between all the red's and blue's during a race ..........mmmmmmmmmmmm????????? ......the Red Bull's nice too (maybe I'm biased). Glad you have to choose and not me.

Well done, the F430 racing promises to be gooooood. :lol::lol: Bring on the other F430's out there!!!!!!!! (Rumour has it Werner will be running a Repsol one, probably fast too).

See you around the Kingelman, soon.

Springbok Racer

Well done, the F430 racing promises to be gooooood. :o:D Bring on the other F430's out there!!!!!!!! (Rumour has it Werner will be running a Repsol one, probably fast too).

See you around the Kingelman, soon.

Springbok Racer

.....No rumours here. Finally it is completed :

RepF430-1.jpg

Cheers

Werner

.............and very slick too .......will check it out tomorrow night. Like your idea of keeping the light lenses on the car, did you use the lexan ones? With those small tricks, it's no wonder your F430 weighs only 175 grams! :o

Cheers

Springbok Racer

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

Just a quick update on the F430 interior set up, seems all the photo's from 2008 has disappeared. Please note that some show the passenger seat and some don't. For the Nats in DAPTO 2009, the passenger seat is required:

IMGP2155.jpg

IMGP2156.jpg

IMGP2157.jpg

IMGP2158.jpg

IMGP2159.jpg

IMGP2160.jpg

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jan

Guys, those are some nice looking cars.

I should know this but are they hard bodys from 1/24 plastic kits?

Paul,

Thought you've seen them before, we run them now and again in Qld and around the country? - yes they are 1/24th Fujimi kits built up as per the NATS rules. They are also similar to what we'll be racing in Toronto in July. I'll start testing mine shortly............ together with the Porsche RS Spyder that Simon and I will share in the WEC.

Cheers

Jan