bov

1/24th Commercial Tracks In Sydney & Beyond

Well, the move for Dave I was involved in was from Blacktown to upstairs somewhere in Seven Hills - we were carrying parts of track in my Panel Van....

Did GT move later?

Yeah, Dave moved the track (around 1990 - ish) from the "upstairs" location in Best Road Seven Hills to a factory unit on the corner of Seven Hills road and Station Road (Same complex as Riley Gym for any locals, and were in the unit where carline mufflers now resides).

And for anyone who knows Dave, to the best of my knowledge (i caught up with him about 3 years ago) The Jag is still in pieces, and is no longer British Racing Green, but porsche guards red.

Not much point reading this bit.

Ahh another track was Thiroull (spelling) down south that used to be owned by Ted.

Yep I used to run S16d's here around 10+ years ago when I was around 16ish. Cant remeember what day we used to run. Wednesday nights or thursday nights.

The Entrance track in the entrance road was chopped up and sent to the tip,one of the boys from Area3 was there to help demolish the thing,the Budgewoi track is apparently still partly still there,not complete.

Terry

I just came accross a Track Directory from 1966, put into a spreadsheet and uploaded it here.

They are sorted by suburb, and only show NSW tracks at the moment.

I will add the rest from Qld, SA, Tas, NT, Vic, WA, and NZ when I get some more time.

It may trigger some memories for those who were around at the time.

B)

Steve K.

Thanks Steve,yes there are some good memories from some of the tracks on the list.

Upstairs at Cabramatta,Geoffs' track in Parramatta,the tracks at Enfield , Fairfield and Rushcutters Bay bowling,American Raceways at Crows Nest,plus the other 2 tracks at Fairfield,the one in Spence Street was managed by Wayne Bramble.

Thanks for the list,did you realise there was so many tracks back then!Amazing.

Terry

I remember a track out at a go-kart place out in Burton, SA. All gone now... and i've been told by some older slotcar gentlemen that most bowling places had then aswell

I will add the rest from Qld, SA, Tas, NT, Vic, WA, and NZ when I get some more time.

Phil,

While it is possible that there are a few missing, the list is only NSW at this point.

It also lists quite a few private tracks.

:)

Steve K.

Phil,

While it is possible that there are a few missing, the list is only NSW at this point.

It also lists quite a few private tracks.

Yagoona Straightaways....it used to be up an alley way off the highway in the Middle of Yagoona.

Thanks for the list,did you realise there was so many tracks back then!Amazing.

Hi Terry,

Yeah, there certainly a few around, and I thought that there would have been more than that list.

There are 4 missing that I know of;

Alexandria, McEvoy St

Coogee, Arden St

La Perouse, Endeavour Ave

Ramsgate, Rocky Point Rd

I started on a Scaley track at La Perouse, that was progressively converted to routed, but the main centre where I spent all of my money was Hillsdale.

Steve K.

slotbaker: The list is not complete with the Tassie tracks,several missing. I think the list you may have only has Watsons and AMR tracks listed.

Phil

Phil,

I have now added all those listed in my publication to the spreadsheet.

Indeed, there is only 1 listed for Tasmania.

If you would like to list the others for me, I will add them.

The ones shown for NZ are identified as being controlled by the "North Island Slot Car Association".

Were there any other tracks in NZ? :)

Also, if anyone else can provide details of slot tracks that were around in the mid 60, I will add them as well.

Steve K.

Yagoona Straightaways....it used to be up an alley way off the highway in the Middle of Yagoona.

Cliffy,

Is that one a different one to the list, or is that the name for one that is on the list?

If so, I will add it in.

Steve K.

If its the one I'm thinking of,it was up the end of a little arcade type thing along side the railway line.

Terry

Cliffy,

Is that one a different one to the list, or is that the name for one that is on the list?

If so, I will add it in.

Slotbaker the track in yagoona was beside the rail line.

many a day at that track. if any one ran at campbelltown track when Don H own it in the late eightys Yagoona was the same layout just the driver stand was at the other end of the track.

The guy that own Yagoona Straightaways was Jim R ( I know what his last name was ) Jim help me alot when I first started racing slot cars and talked me into running in NSW Assoc racing. That was in the mid seventies.

Hope this helps Regards

Steve059

Steve

ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE OR AFTER

IS JUST WAITING RACING IS LIFE STEVE MCQUEEN

Hi Guys

Four more tracks not on the list.

1 Earlwood was in the main street

2 Campise again in the main road.

Did not last long my farthers mate that he work with end up with the track.

We when around one day and he had it up the side of his house in a very long oval.

Boxs and boxs of cars don't know what happened to it after that.

3 lakemba Canterbury road and Haldon st Lakemba. spent alot of time runing around that track puting cars back on for dad & his mate lenny. told me I was to young to drive (about seven or eight at the time) At home was alright but not on big tracks.(Don't think he wanted to share the cars with me)

And one in brunswick VIC Jan 1980 Aust titles. Have photos around here somewere.

Seven of us went down from Sydney as it was the first round for that year and we had 2 rounds here both at G&D Raceways in Church street Parramatta.

Not a bad race for me finished thrid in the group 20 race and I think forth in gp27.

See if I can think of any more

Cheers

Steve :)

Steve

ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE OR AFTER

IS JUST WAITING RACING IS LIFE STEVE MCQUEEN

Re:

((The guy that own Yagoona Straightaways was Jim R ( I know what his last name was ) Jim help me alot when I first started racing slot cars and talked me into running in NSW Assoc racing. That was in the mid seventies.

Hope this helps Regards

Steve059))

Just joined as I found you on a search for "Yagoona Straightaways" I loaded a couple of photos to Flickr today, taken at the Yagoona track in June, 1967, of Jim and a couple of mates. It's a long time since I disposed of my 1/24th collection but the urge occasionally comes back. It looks like I have Jim's surname wrong. You can see the photos via this link http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=yagoona+st...ways&m=text

Jim was a great guy and kept a lot of the local kids off the streets. I often wonder what happened to him after he moved out of the shop. Someone told me he lived near Woodville Road, not far from Bass Hill.

Cheers.

Hi there.Iremember yagoona straightaways,raced there for a few years back in the mid to late 70's with my older brother and his mate.If you can imagine this shape you drove left to right off the start grid180degree turn about 3metre to another 180,down a straight approx 5metres longr/hand sweeper went 360 deg which climbed up and turned left back toward the start end about 8-10 metre straight and nice banked turn l/hander onto starting straight.loads of fun that track was.And quick to.If my memory serves me correctly i think the length was about 232 feet and lap record in my time was around 3odd seconds with open wing cars (don't quote me).Yes Jim was a real nice bloke,always good with advice.There was also a track at cabramatta around the same time down stairs opposite the railway station,same track design as yagoona but smaller,and raced in opposite direction.Also a track at ulladulla(nsw southcoast)gone now i think.And back in the 60's a track in liverpool on the corner of moore st and goulburn st.

cheers col.

The Entrance track in the entrance road was chopped up and sent to the tip,one of the boys from Area3 was there to help demolish the thing,the Budgewoi track is apparently still partly still there,not complete.Terry

Hi All,

I haven't had much to do with the old time tracks but have bought and sold quite a few commercial tracks over the past ten years from all over Australia.

@ Terry, I relocated the Budgewoi track some 5 or 6 years ago to a tourist spot in Vic called Lakes Entrance. 12 months later it was sold and moved to the back of a Supermarket in another tourist spot in Loch Sport, Vic.

Someone else mentioned the old Purple Mile which I bought from John @ Sydney City Slot Cars and re-sold to a guy somewhere in country QLD (can't remember the spot), but do know that it wa re-listed for sale just a short while ago.

I also re-sold the Blue King from Sydney City Slot Cars to Rockhampton, where Carl has it set up and is constantly pushing the Australian track record lower. So we have a kind of rivalry going to produce the fastest Aussie King track.

We still have an Irwin track in storage that we first started with in 1996. The old girl needs a bit of a birthday!

Just last week, Sandy showed up in my shop during our Friday night drag comp, with wife and family. And after a short chat, he might be persuaded to re-open another Raceway. For those that don't know, Sandy built the LARGEST 8 lane commercial Track in the world. It measured over 300 feet long and was called the "Anaconda" for good reasons. Sandy gave me the inspiration to design and decorate my shop as it is today. His Raceway was so different from any other that I had seen, but like many great looking Raceways, it was in the wrong spot!

There's at least another 4 or 5 tracks that we have moved around from Hobart to Perth, Hobart to Melbourne, Lismore N.S.W to Melbourne, Sydney to Melbourne. Melbourne to Mullumbimby N.S.W.

I hope this helps refresh some old memories!

Try this link for some more history in Victoria

cheers, Peter

Cheers, Peter VH

Mr Slotcar website       MrSlotcar NEW Facebook Page       MrTrax modular track systems      MrTrax Facebook page

Owner of Australia's fastest ever lap time on a Blue King track @ 1.4838 secs. And the fastest pass ever on a 1/4 mile Drag strip @ 203.2 kmh

Designer and manufacturer of quality domestic and commercial Tracks.

Both Logos.jpg

Wow,..so Many memories of places and time spent,..

One thing regarding Parramatta,

it Moved a Number of times and was re modelled at least Twice,..Before it ended up at Geoffs !!

The Initial Installation,..in the Old Upstairs shop on the Other side of the Road to where it was at the end,..had the Original Final corners and Lead on to the straight, it was Modified Again, when it Moved across the street.

A Shame really that the Track has gone,..as It Was Damn Fast and a Very difficult Track to Put together a Good Race on!

A New Gary J version of that could be an interesting and Very Fast track !!

Strange as well,..that so Far,..No One has Mentioned that Awesome track of Charlie Frosts at Seven Hills way Back,..Slotz I think it was called,..My God !! Was That an awesome Fast Track.

That was in Fact the Trackl that Mark Fox designed his Now infamous Tripod or "Ice Cream Cone" chassis for and Blitzed the Field with !!

Obviously,..I had one as well,..but had stupid Brush problems as I recall and had an awfull day,..watching Fox Win yet another Race,..Doh !!

Funny,..recently found all My Old Trophies,..I seem to have amassed an amazing amount of 2nd and 3rd trophies,...Fox,...Has all the 1st's !!!,..rofl

BTW,..I am pretty sure it was Jimmy Westwell that ran Yagoona.

He was an interesting character,..Very Tough and a Hard Nut to Race against,..He Gave No Quarter and Took No Prisoners !!!,..lol

Jimmy Donald was another Yagoona Hot shot,..that built rather nice cars and wound awesome motors !!

All this Old slotcar stuff got me thinking,..as we at times used to have both in NSW and Vic, very Healthy Local Racing Publications.

I Know I have Some,...somewhere and I Recalled ages ago chatting with WayneB about them and he had an almost Complete collection!,..Sadly,..he has No More,..sigh,..

So,..We all Must Really put in an effort to Try and get hold of Old copies in Fact am thinking of starting a New thread about it,..

Hey Anyone klnow of Dave Smith's wherabouts?

Edited by stoo23

It was Jim Westwell that ran Yagoona. He built a "Ice Cream Cone" chassis that was one of my first serious Gp20 Wing Cars.

Dave Smith publishes Racing Lines R/C Car magazine - I have the first 30 or so issues - the magazine has gone from a 16 page photocopy (like his old slot publications I used to read at his house at Merrylands) - to a full colour 100+ page commercial publication.

I believe Dave is still living down the south coast - if you contact him, say g'day from Tony "Boulevard"...

We had many great times in the early '80's, when I moved from 1/24 wing slots into R/C.....

Cheers,

Tony.

There's only two questions:

1. What direction do you go

2. What's the Lap Record?

I recall spending many afternoons at the Merrylands (Piccadilly Arcade) track....the arcade was a short cut from the train station on the way home from school. Could only afford cobbled together home made cars back then....any Cox car was The car to have....