Wiring Rally Loops

imugford

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from Archer Raceway (Oldslotracer) http://www.oldslotracer.com/index.html

Here's a sketch of the reversing loop, and a wiring diagram for those that understand it (I don't)

It's a solenoid triggered by the dead strip at the top of the hill, and reset by a toggle switch when

you get back to the bottom. I suppose it would work with a loop at the bottom as well, but I just

wanted a timed run

ReversingLoop.jpg

Wiring_diagram.jpg

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

• 1 month later...

If you can explain it, I will build it.

I've dreamed of having one of these in the track that is currently underconstruction. If anyone can translate Electronics into English I am listening, and eager to see it in action on my track.

Don't know what sort of explanation you guys are after but I will give it a go.

The contacts on the relay or solenoid as it is called in the diagram is connected to the wires that give power to the track, with the relay off the car travels towards the loop. As the car goes over the dead spot the relay is switched on and locks on through another contact, the power to the track is reversed allowing the car to travel away from the loop. The toggle switch (a push button momentary off switch would probably be better) is used to cut the locking circuit to the relay turning it off so the power is back to normal.

I don't think it could be made as a stand alone item as it basically already is, you just need a relay, a switch and the track to connect it to, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

• 4 weeks later...
As the car goes over the dead spot the relay is switched on and locks on through another contact, the power to the track is reversed allowing the car to travel away from the loop.

I had a go at wiring all of this up.

I bought this relay SY4009 from Jaycar

And wired it up using the above diagram. It all seems to work...the car goes towards the loop, around and hits the dead spot, I can hear the relay click and see the connection switch but then when the car leaves the dead spot the relay switches back immediately and doesnt stay on.

The reverse part definately works as I can leave a car on the dead spot and another car will run back the other way but obviously that is no good.

The only thing I can think of is the switch part which runs between the dead spot and the coil. I have figured it to be a simple SPST momentary switch....perhaps it is something different.

So the question is have I bought the wrong relay or is there something else I need to do to get the relay to lock on when activated?

So close......grrrr

Edited by Johno

Hmm reading about relays on Wikipedia I may need a Latching relay that when the current is switched off, the relay remains in its last state.

Im guessing the one I bought doesn't do this. Might have to go pester the blokes at Jaycar again :lol:

As the car goes over the dead spot the relay is switched on and locks on through another contact, the power to the track is reversed allowing the car to travel away from the loop.

I had a go at wiring all of this up.

I bought this relay SY4009 from Jaycar

And wired it up using the above diagram. It all seems to work...the car goes towards the loop, around and hits the dead spot, I can hear the relay click and see the connection switch but then when the car leaves the dead spot the relay switches back immediately and doesnt stay on.

The reverse part definately works as I can leave a car on the dead spot and another car will run back the other way but obviously that is no good.

The only thing I can think of is the switch part which runs between the dead spot and the coil. I have figured it to be a simple SPST momentary switch....perhaps it is something different.

So the question is have I bought the wrong relay or is there something else I need to do to get the relay to lock on when activated?

So close......grrrr

Sounds like you might have forgot part of the circuit, have you wired the relay up to a set of contacts on the relay so when the relay operates it will hold itself on like the forth set of contacts on the circuit diagram above.

I think I have it sorted. I have got the wrong type of switch for the reset mechanism. I must have bought a momentary on switch not an off.

With the switch wired in the relay is turning off straight away but I removed the switch from the circuit and the relay turned on and stayed on until I untwisted the two wires breaking that circuit.

So I will drop into Jaycar this arvo and get a different switch

Thx for the help MtP and everyone

Edited by Johno

Well I picked up a normally closed switch and soldered it into my test loop and it all works.

Ive taken a cpl of photos but I doubt they will be of any use. As you can see my wiring and solder work leaves ALOT to be desired.

Luckily its not permanent

DSCF3300.jpg

DSCF3301.jpg

Easy

So how does it know when the car has rejoined the single lane rather than the loop? Also how is the polarity switched for the rails? I'd presume there is one of these at both ends, and as the car switches one open it closes the other in preaparation for the return leg?

Beauty.

Thats what the switch is for matt.

As the car trips the relay it changes the polarity and runs back down the hill to the finish line. Once done you click the button on the switch and it resets back to uphill again. I guess you could have 2 loops at each end if you wanted to run continual laps and not time trials

Sadly I have hit a new hiccup in my hill climb.

I wired the track up this evening and on testing the car drives up the hill goes around the loop, over the dead spot but then it fails to trigger the relay.

I put the car back bit and try again and the same thing, the car drives straight over the dead spot without triggering the relay :lol:

So then I get the car and push it along the track and over the dead spot and click the relay activates. I push it along again and click the relay works.

So I know the dead spot works and triggers the relay, just not while im running a lap.

No idea if it is a speed thing or something else but it is a bit annoying.

:purplebounce:

Im at a loss

This morning I have tried

- a couple of different cars

- lengthening the dead strip

- lengthening the gap between the live track and the dead strip

- covering the dead strip with solder

- increasing the height of the dead strip to ensure contact with the braids

and still I have the same problem

when driving the car it passes over the dead spot the relay is not activating

and yet I can push the car over the dead spot and it works or I can hold the car over the dead spot and touch it ever so lightly and it works

just not when driving

Do you have separate power supplies for the track and the relay.

Its all running off the one power supply.

Do you think it would make a difference if I wired up the relay part of the schematic to a separate power supply?

Edited by Johno

It might be worth a try, although in theory once the car hits the dead spot all the power should be available to the relay.

That gives me another thought, might be something to do with the hand controller, try pushing the car over the dead spot with the trigger on the hand controller in the position that it would be in if you were driving the car, you might be drawing power through the controller some how that is stopping the relay from operating.