kembro

Is Artin A Good Way To Go?

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting the family a slot set for Chrissy. Have seen the 4 lane Artin Set and think it might be a good starter for us.

Has anyone had experience with these sets? Or what would you recommend to get started?

Cheers

Kem

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting the family a slot set for Chrissy. Have seen the 4 lane Artin Set and think it might be a good starter for us.

Has anyone had experience with these sets? Or what would you recommend to get started?

Cheers

Kem

hey kem -

my 2¢?? maybe from the wrong side of terra firma, but the principles still apply

as a strater set, there are a number of factors i'd consider :

1. are kids playing? you indicated 'yes' .. how old are they? how many??

2. are you gonna 'rug race' or set up more permanently?

3. do you understand about digital? is that something you might wanna look at in the future?

4. how big is your space, budget and desire? do you have the cash and free time to devote or is this just another toy?

5. is stock readily available to you?

after those are answered - its easy!

so - serious or toy?

toy? go ahead and buy the artin .. otherwise, do your 'due dilligence' and research the possibilities .. for the sake of this, i'll assume you are looking for a new family recreation, hopefully turning into a hobby. ending with a full-blown obsession .. thats what we are all hoping for you .. so - my answers :

if kids are playing, almost any track system will do, but not all are created equal .. all have their particular advantages and disadvantages - it is almost 'buyer preference' .. but here are a few key issues :

- in width, carrera is widest, then NINCO, while artin, scalex (sport and classic) and scx are the narrowest .. this has two ramifications - bigger (1:24 scale) cars are possible on carrer, but the narrower widths give a smaller overall 'footprint' for the layout

- artin and carrera track is 'stiff' and 'rigid', while the other's are much more 'pliable' and 'flexible' .. this can be a factor, especially if one needs to pack up the track after use .. NINCO, SCX and scaley are all 'kd friendly' and hard to break

- artin, scalex and carrera have a smooth surface .. scx and NINCO are textured .. so - more sliding on the former. more grip on the latter .. driving syle preference

- NINCO provides (arguably) the best electrical connections .. carrera is good, scaley and scx need 'tweaking' with power taps .. NINCO 'locks' together quickly and well - so does scx and scaley classic (once one 'gets the knack 'o it) .. scaley sport track 'slides' together, so is a snap to assemble, but (IMHO) the retaining 'clips' allow too much lateral movement .. carrera is harder to assemble - each joint requires many 'clips' to be inserted ..

- with the factory sets, only one transformer is supplied, giving power to both lanes at once .. when one car deslots, the other can get a 'surge' .. most makers have a power track piece that will allow two transformers, giving seperate electricity to each lane .. while i'm on it - factory controllers suck!! they need to be upgraded with aftermarket controllers immediately (parmas are great for a start) .. btw - by all accounts, artin is found very lacking in both of these areas

- carrera does banked corners very well! the rest - errr - not so well - tho SCX aren't bad either .. NINCO nd scaley?? forget about it!

- if there's any thought of digital racing later, one needs to purchase (now) compatible track .. only NINCO and scalex offer this possibilty - tho carreras newest digital offering utilizes their old track too (i think)

so - what to do?? again mate - heres the question - toy or hobby?

understand - as a toy, this is great fun, and can (and will) provide hours of enjoyment .. as a hobby (or obsession), slot cars can be very expensive - in dollars. space and time .. if the family is involved tho ---

so - toy? buy the artin .. its a cheap way to get four running lanes

hobby? then i'd advise one of the 'big boys' .. and i might base this decision on what is 'most available' locally - the internet works okay, but a local 'hands-on' hobby store owner is one of the best things you could find!

hope this helped

pete

.. with only fear and good judgement holding us back ..

Thanks for the great reply Pete.

Here's my answers

1. Yes 10,6 and 4 so they need to be durable.

2. Rug race with potential to expand to permanent table in the shed.

3. Like the idea of starting out digital, but with a budget of $300 it may be very small will this still keep the family entertained or just dizzy.

4. As above budget $300 to start with. It's family entertainment but will be more of a hobby for me, coming from offroad Rc buggies and looking for a wet weather alternative.

5. Will explore the shops for local availability and price but will probably by online.

Along with the Artin I'm considering Carrera Digital 132 or Ninco Digital, but will have a lot less track, length ways anyway :huh: . Any recommendations greatly appreciated as I want a durable, quality setup with expansion potential.

Cheers

Kem

Personally I think ARTIN is an excellent track surface for racing,

We use it at our local shop to race on and find it the equal of our own personal Scalextric Sport layouts.

K.

Pretty good assessment notHO,

Recommend Scalextric or Ninco for lots of reasons. Upgrade to digital next Xmas.

But each slotter will have different reasons which are all valid.

Good luck and enjoy.

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com