How Do You Make Magnets Stronger???

Sammi

Please Please Please!!

Tell me how to make magnets stronger, the magnet in my V8 Supercar is shocking!!

I have a race coming up and its V8 Supercars @ Scalexworld ...magnet is shocking

Need Help

Cheers,

Sammi

1x Australian National Champion

PhD/Associate Professor in Chemical Engineering for Slot Car Tyres

Easiest thing is to replace in with a stronger magnet.

Phil

what sort of magnet do i need to buy? :D (to fit into a scaley V8??)

There is a standard bar magnet that is available for many scaley cars that fit this one, they can come in packs of 3 or 5 from what i have seen.

play around with all of them, because they can have different strengths straight out of the pack.

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

album_ok.gifalbum_ok.gifalbum_ok.gif

Before you go buying another magnet try turning the one you have upside down first. I don't know why but I have seen a difference in gauss readings of up to 300 difference by doing this on Scalextric V8's.

Corporate greed is driving inflation.

Cash, use it or lose it.  No Digital Currency, No Digital ID.

• 11 months later...

I have been searching the forum to get the answer to this exact question.

I have been experimenting with different sized metal washers by placing them on the magnet and the results are good with much better handling. (I know some folk wont agree with this, but I am interested in evening up my V8 cars for home racing with kids & friends, so no club issues, rules etc. just want to get all V8's within 0.5sec of each other)

Not sure if I am increasing the strength of the magnet with the washers or creating a bigger magnetic field by magnetising the surface area of the washer or just adding extra weight (only 2 grams) which does it, but it seems to work.

If the washer is too big it just slows car down & overheats motor so you need to get the size & weight right.

Any ideas on why this is working, or is there a better way to be a bit more magnetic down force without adding or buying new magnets.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

OK,..a couple of answers in one go,..lol

Best NOT to Put Weak and Strong Magnets Together/Near each other etc,..ahh but heck when you see the way the stuff gets shipped,..makes ya wonder,..lol

No, it Won't make then Stronger.

Interesting, Re Turning Upside down,..This could Only happen depending on the Magnets Manufacture/Orientation,..that is,..it is either Isotropic or Anisotropic.

Difference is that One has , (n Effect), a Coerced Polarity during manufacture, so HAS a Direction of Charge.

Placing Washers of Varying size and thickness, changes and effects the Shape of the Returning 'Magnetic Flux' field, probably causing it to 'spread' forward and backward, somewhat by creating a 'lobe'.

Depending on the Raw magnetic material, it Could Possibly be Re Zapped,..but at the Price of Replacement units, it would be an extremely Questionable Option !!!,..lol

:(

Hi Billy

because our club races on a NInco track ith magnets......(then we all go home and race on wood without, on our touted track...go figure LOL)

anyway, for club racing, we had the same issue. Once I bought a magnt marshal I realised pretty quickly tha cars of all brands came with supposedly identical magnets which varied in downforce by 1/3rd or more, creating what you have.

Mostly we bought litle trim magnets, tiny flat bars, and put all, or snapped them and put a part of one onto a car to bring the measured downforce up to the level of the highest "stock" car we found of say 10 or 12 in the class. - eg V8 Supercars, which varied from 110 to 170 gms downforce.

What stoo described in field variations is exactly what you may find, they do vary one side to th other, but onlyabout 10% at max. And adding a small magnet or even just a ferrous metallic wsher which spreads the field of flux wider, will help level up your cars.

Just be aware that you are putting progressively higher loads on cars, and ou may "smoke out" the odd mabuchi motor.

Those motors don't cope with heavy loadings for long periods of time as wel as some others.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Stoo23,

Thanks I feel much smarter after reading your post, I Googled "Mangetic Flux" and now have a rough idea of what the washers are doing now.

SlotsNZ,

Appreciate your feedback, especially the details on how wide the magnetic downforce variances can be for V8 super cars.

Looks like the answer is extra magnets or continue with the washer experiments, I will need to ask Santa for a Magnet Marshall for Christmas to reduce the number of trial & error repetitions needed to equalise the cars.

Where do you guys buy your trim magnets from? do you buy the Scalextric magnet packs (a bit expensive & contain some magnets you may not want) or do you source from other places

Thanks

hil

Cheers

Phil

Billy cart,

It would be easier to slow down the fastest car to match the slowest car.

Remove the magnet out of the car. Trim/remove the little plastic clips that hold the magnets in place. Make a little holder out of plastic much like a little square bucket but without a bottom. Glue this to the bottom of the chassis. Now you have a little recepticle that you can place magnets into. For max downforce place the magnet into the bucket so that it sits on the bottom. Some blu tack or a dab of silicone to hold it in place. To reduce the mag force remove magnet and cut a thin piece of plastic (ie overhead transparency sheet) and insert it into the holder, then place the magnet on top. The further away the magnet from the surface of the track the less downforce you will have. Do this for all the cars to get even performance.

cheers

rick1776

Yer I once bought 2 Slot.it McClarens, one had 240grams of downforce, incredible right? The other one had 480g or almost half a kilo downforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yer I couldnt believe it either). Magnet Marshall used. 160-175 g would have been preferable!

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Billy cart,

It would be easier to slow down the fastest car to match the slowest car.

Rick1776,

You know your right and I am still on the journey toward enlightenment, there is a real fine line here that I am starting to learn.

Once you get a car going at brake neck speed you just want to get all cars going the same, the faster the better.

Then you hit the reality that too much magnet reduces the driving skills and whilst lap times improve :D , fun times reduce :( .

I am currently trying to find the right balance of speed, skill & fun, however I am compounded by the nature of drivers being less experienced (new to slot cars & digital racing) so less deslots makes for better racing.

Thanks for the tip & I guess I will just enjoy the journey and not worry too much about the destination ;)

Rick (Aussieslotter)

480g down force? did it go or was it just anchored to the track?

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

I feel much smarter after reading your post, I Googled "Magnetic Flux" and now have a rough idea of what the washers are doing now.

Phil,

When you were Googling did you find any reference to Flux Capacitors (Magnetic or Otherwise)? I believe this may actually hold the key to a V8 Super Car being able to travel in time (Back to the Future as it were). This would enable even a novice driver, one who regularly deslots for example, to actually beat an experienced driver by altering the time / space continuum. To achieve this it would be necessary to reach 88mph down the back straight. Is any of this possible?? Do you think? ;)

X1/9

OK "Back to the Future" I get this, own all the DVD's & kids watch repeatedly, I now plan to build a Town Hall into scenery and add a telegraph line across road to test theory (just have to figure out what 1/32 scale 88mph is).

stoo23

Now "Buckaroo Banzai across the Eighth Dimension" is a real "Blast from the Past", I remember being blown away by how good this film was in the early 1980's (I think that is when it came out) and I have been looking for a DVD copy for years to show the kids but never found one.

From memory you just drive flat out toward a mountain to get to the 8th dimension, this is exactly how we race on our track, hence need for magnets.

Cheers,

Phil

Cheers

Phil

From memory you just drive flat out toward a mountain to get to the 8th dimension

Yes !!!

Fantastically Funny wasn't it !!??

Some Great actors in it as well !!

Yes,..BUT You Needed the Special YoYoDyne Propulsion System Device !!

You Can Still get it on DVD,..you might have to order it,..Worth getting !!

Here's a Mousepad !!

http://gifts.cafepress.com/item/yoyodyne-p...usepad/78793125

;):)

I'm Glad Someone New of the Film !!!,..:(

Edited by stoo23

I'm Glad Someone New of the Film !!!,..:(

Its a classic, only ever saw it once (probably 25 years ago) but its up there with Dr Who, Blake Seven, Kenny Everitt Video Show, The Goodies.......... must stop before I remember too much.

Completly forgot about the YoYoDyne Propulsion System Device, must get DVD now ;) .

Phil

Edited by Billy_Cart

Cheers

Phil