Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

Hi All. (As posted on SF)

The Lane Brain project has grown and changed and grown since first announced. Next there was an interface (Race Base), then V-Dash, then wireless, routed application, flipper assembly, then making the chip compatible to other brands.

So Ive decided to roll all threads into just one now the projects direction has been re-established.

The total concept project is best described by breaking down into sections:

Scorpius

A proposed totally new DC or AC based 16 channel wireless digital slot car system that can run on most digital and all analog tracks.

Wireless controller

Called the Smart Controller this is the brains of the entire system and basically is a wireless controller with all the aux box type goodies on board. It will use Hall sensor technology. It is like a powerbase without the power. It will have a screen and run on batteries. It sends its commands straight to the car (or PC if needed). It will incorporate throttle manipulation programs, track call, ghost car, kiddies mode, pit stop commands etc

Wireless car chip

A new robust 3 amp 20V unit that can be changed to suit Scorpius, SSD, Ninco or Carrera at the press of a button. This is a universal chip and a major breakthrough in compatibility issues. With the Scorpius Smart Controller and Scorpius Chipped car you could run on any analog (with brakes) and most digital systems.

Wireless Lane Change board

Still called Lane Brain, it will be for now DC based not AC and will be converted to wireless to reduce set up time and costs. It has live flipper function, anti collision, race modes and about 15 other functions. See Lane Brain post for more detail.

Wireless USB dongle

This allows more complex programs to be operated from your laptop, and the method in which you download the latest firmware to Lane Brain, Smart Controller or car chip

Flipper assembly

Simply a custom made flipper assembly for SSD or Scorpius systems. Possible to make a Ninco/Carrera version too.

Routed track application

The system is made with timber routed track in mind, with the Lane Brain and Flipper Assembly especially designed for timber routed tracks.

SSD DC Conversion.

A simple way to gets as much trouble free power as you require, no need for MSS mods, no more digital glitches.

Simply put a switch on + and - between PB and track, switch off power from PB, connect say 15V DC PSU to rails.

You will of course need Scorpius Wireless Controller and at least one Scorpius car chip and its that simple. If you want to run just SSD chipped cars turn your DC PSU off and turn SSD PB back on. Even with an entirely based SSD system you can stiil run a Scorpius chipped car on it in conjunction with a Scorpius controller, and it will still change lanes, record laps, etc.

Will post more as project develops. Next step is to make at least 3 wireless cars/controllers for more testing/racing.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Will post more as project develops. Next step is to make at least 3 wireless cars/controllers for more testing/racing.

Cheers

Rick

Hey Rick while I probably only understand half of that - (I will go and check out the other threads) it sounds great - my other hobby is model trains - and while I haven't moved to Digital yet - I know that when I do any DCC setup will run any Digital train.

I guess slot car systems are new with digital and are yet to get past the incompatible phase -

Are you planning to make this project commercial or is it just an experimental thing.....?

keep up the good work - look forward to following the projects progress

DM

Hi Penfold,

Sure Id like to sell it one day but realistically it has to be in enough demand and it also has to go through rigorous testing, so one day you might be able to buy it, but because of a lot of unknown factors Id be silly to say anything solid either way. At this stage Im getting a lot of enjoyment designing the system and testing at various stages, so its a hobby not a business, that way I get to relax and enjoy it. But I cant wait to have this up and running simply to have fun with no problems.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

... but realistically it has to be in enough demand and it also has to go through rigorous testing..

Aussie - you have a whole Auslot of tester blokes ready to test it for you.. :P

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

and some of us are even in the same city as he is :D

..but it IS best to ensure it works under all circumstances.. even if it's being ran by an idiot!

(..and by someone that used to do a lot of UAT on serious (legislative guff) mainframe applications & knows how to get a plan together he hinted)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

(..and by someone that used to do a lot of UAT on serious (legislative guff) mainframe applications & knows how to get a plan together he hinted)
Tell me about it.... I administer the system that installs the application software to UAT and above in a goverment dept on the mainframe - and run the migrations to Production for another company on their mainframe (ie I work for an Outsourcer). Half the time what they give us to deploy to UAT needs correcting :nice:

Hi Guys,

Latest thought is to make this a hybrid analogue/digital track straight up. This involves keeping wire taps on lanes 1 and 2 seperately and a simple switching system to have a modified analogue powerbase that can be switched to fulltime 12V for Scorpius cars.

The braid linking lanes 1 and 2 on the LC's will have a small break in it to keep supplies seperate.

So now we have a serious routed 2 lane analogue set up that can have one lane analogue and one lane digital, 2 analogue lanes or 2 digital lanes. I could do a 3 lane version too.

Once it is switched to digital the lane changers operate and the race line is now ready for use.

Idea is to bring flexibility so more can enjoy and bypass as many incompatibility issues as possible.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Great adaption Rick.

Do you ever sleep? :D

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Very interesting from here too Rick

Got another idea for you, and maybe too tricky to wire up properly

Thinking of say a plain oval track with at least 2 LC's

On Digital, as you say, all LC's are active

On Analogue, rather than inside track being always lane 1, and outside track always lane 2, with all LC's disabled maybe an alternative (with appropriate wiring) is that 2 LC's (or LC's in pairs) become ON, thus between those two particular LC's, now the inside track is now lane 2, and outside track is now lane 1

Do you get my drift ??

(I have SCXD, so not up with how the SSD parts work)

No idea if this is possible, but thought it'd add a bit of variety for the analogue driving

Edited by abs

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Chips arrived this week so be doing some laps on my new system.

ScorpiousChipTop.jpg

Scorpius wireless chip 20V 3 amps.

scorpius001.jpg

Scorpius wireless controller. Size 30mm x 14 mm.

Tested to 21V. All good. Still more work to do.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Looking the part for sure, u expecting any big name offers for your system??

Would be good, so scale of quantities would bring the price down. Not expecting anything in the big hard business world though.

I decided a long time ago Im doing it for the enjoyment and if it was to sell it would be a bonus.

cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Looking the part for sure, u expecting any big name offers for your system??

Would be good, so scale of quantities would bring the price down. Not expecting anything in the big hard business world though.

I decided a long time ago Im doing it for the enjoyment and if it was to sell it would be a bonus.

cheers

Rick

Take it out into the big bad.. look to someone like Slot.it or someone similar 'cause they are looking for new stuff.

Actually - have you thought someone like erm.. the German lot that make large sections.. Slot-fire? They seem to be cashed up.

Hi Guys,

Eno would be nice but in any case need a finished product to show people.

Tonight I finally set up the Ninco set.

Glad to say all functions working, phew!

The car will work on the Ninco track even without the powerbase, its just there to give the track AC power, but could run it with 12-15V DC straight to rails. Or even AC.

scorpius004.jpg

Scorpius chipped Slot.it Hydro Aluminium Porsche with Scorpius controller running on Ninco N Digital track.

Note the white antenna.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 3 weeks later...

Must say this could get me back on the digital track. :huh: pun intended

From a completely selfish perspective I hope you dont sell it off to one of those guys ... cause

the first thing they'd do is cripple it to save a few cents/pence/eurocents.

Doing it this way will no doubt mean cost moe to us who want it but we will get what we want, or closer to it anyways.

besides I doubt they would give you a decent amount, more likely just steal the ideas :bday:

Frosty

-slot rally pioneer

-so far the only person known to slot on real ice

-detail maniac and overplanner

Hi Snowman, glad you like it.

Testing at Armchair Racer on new 8 lane Carrera track last few days. Testing 35K motors, comparing to analogue cars etc.

Armchair3rdJan08.jpg

Scorpiuswielessdatapath.jpg

Diagram showing how wireless data is shared. Freq 2.45 GHz

Scorpiuspowerdiagram.jpg

Diagram showing simple power to system.

Cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

The only thing I dont like about it so far is the wait, hehe B)

I just hope I can get hold of a system that works properly like this one day.

Is there any website for info, I see you're using the 2.4G band, good idea really.

Is there any more info on how it works?

Regards

ps - whats a good afforable source for carrera track in Oz?

Frosty

-slot rally pioneer

-so far the only person known to slot on real ice

-detail maniac and overplanner

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing I dont like about it so far is the wait, hehe <_<

I just hope I can get hold of a system that works properly like this one day.

Is there any website for info, I see you're using the 2.4G band, good idea really.

Is there any more info on how it works?

Regards

ps - whats a good afforable source for carrera track in Oz?

Try Armchair Racer re carrera track.

Im looking for a web designer actually, perhaps there is someone on the forum who does websites?

Yes in in the 2.4 GHz band but its much faster than bluetooth.

I think all the main points are in this thread but if theres anything specific you need to know just ask.

Cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Rick, I can help with doing a website, depends on what you want....

I'm the webmaster for my wife's business which is mostly web based (when I'm not doing my normal IT work)

Plus, must tee up a time to come and have a looksee at your system. We can chat about doing a website at the same time

Ok Guys,

The Scorpius controller and car chips will be available late March for $45AUS +postage.

Scorpius, the full story

Cheers

Aussie,

ABS just PM me. Ah you have.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

SCORPIUS COMPATIBILTY AND CAR HARDWARE FOR VARIOUS SYSTEMS, HOW DOES IT ALL WORK?

Hi Guys,

Had a few questions PM'ed to me regarding exactly how Scorpius is compatible to various types of systems, what it can do, what it cant do, limitations etc.

Firstly not all are aware how all the systems work for car ID and LC triggering so Ill quickly explain.

SSD: Uses LED in car chassis in centre of car to show car ID and trigger LC's.

Carrera: Uses LED in car chassis 12 mm offset left of centre of car to show car ID and trigger LC's.

Scorpius: Uses proprietry device in car chassis 12 mm offset right of centre of car to show car ID and trigger LC's.

Ninco: Uses no additional hardware. Data via braids. Runs on Ninco in any mode actually because of its "unique" arcihtecture. Just luck.

SCX: Uses actuator to extend guide to trigger LC's. Uses reed contact to show car ID.

Rule No1: Ony a scorpius chipped wireless controller can operate a Scorpius chipped car. (Unless adding a scorpius wireless chip added to output stage

of any standard or modified SSD powerbase)

Rule No 2: To run a Scorpius chipped car in any particular brand mode the car must have the the corresponding chassis hardware installed.

Example 1: You intend to Scorpius chip a car to run on your Carrera 132 system. The LED must be installed 12mm offset to the left to match the Carrera LC.

Example 2: You intend to Scorpius chip a car to run on your Ninco system. Simply solder the chip in (4 wires only) and its done.

Example 3. You want your car to run on Ninco and SCX. No extra hardware is required for the Ninco part of it. But you would need an SCX digital car to start out with.

Example 4. You own SSD and Ninco and your next door neighbour owns Carrera 132 where you race a lot. Connect 2 LEDS to chip in parallel. One to centre of chassis (SSD), the other offset 12mm to left (Carrera). Ninco requires no additional hardware. When in SSD mode both LEDS flash SSD code. When in Carrera mode both LEDS flash Carrera code.

Example 5. You own Ninco but have decided to slowly convert over to Scorpius. Remove Ninco chip (Ebay), solder in (no clips) Scorpius chip. Install Scorpius proprietry device 12 mm offset to right of chassis. Ninco requires no additional hardware. Car now runs on Scorpius and Ninco systems.

ETC

HOW DOES THE SCORPIUS CHIP OPERATE THE SCX CAR?

Simply the Scorpius chip has a dedicated 5V signal that drives the actuator.

The contact reed switch enters via a spare pins on the light I/O's

IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE ONE CAR RUN ON ALL 4 BRANDS + SCORPIUS + ANLOGUE?

Yes. But of course it requires the car harware as outlined above.

Firstly you would start off with a SCX car. Add Carrera LED. Add SSD LED. Add Scorpius device. Ninco no additional h/ware req'd.

Who would want to do this? Probably no one, but the point is it can be done.

In fact its the only way it can be done. Simply the brands are totaly incompatible and we are lucky to even be able to achieve this much.

The fact is most guys will want to run on one to two systems, some 3.

Example 1. This moment I need my car to run on SSD and Scorpius only.

Example 2. SSD and Ninco would be a common combination here in Australia.

Example 3. SCX, Ninco would be a common combination in Spain.

Example 4. Carrera and Ninco would be a common combination in USA.

Example 5. Phil is planning a 3rd track (Dedicated Scorpius Bathurst track). He would have Ninco, SSD and Scorpius tracks all on one premises.

Here each car would just need the SDD LED and the Scorpius device. It would run on all 3 tracks with a change of mode.

Example 6. Runs on any analogue track at all times in any mode.

HOW IS THE CHIP POWERED? DOES IT USE BATTERIES? DO I STILL USE MY EXISITING CHIP?

Chip is powered from braids.

No batteries are used.

Remove your existing chip. It is not required

IS IT COMPATIBLE TO EXISTING LIGHTBOARDS?

No, only Scorpius proposed light board.

DO I HAVE TO MODIFY MY EXISTING TRACK OR IN PARTICULAR MODIFY THE LC's?

No. Thats the whole idea of compatibility. Thats the reason I developed the Scorpius chip. To unite the entire digital slot world on a common platform, via implementation of a new car chip (much needed regardless of the Scorpius project) and a new wireless controller chip (also much needed regardless of the Scorpius project). I call it the Scorpius platform.

WHATS THIS I HEAR ABOUT LANE BRAIN IN THAT CASE, HOW DOES IT TIE IN?

The Scorpius Lane Brain is only for Scorpius systems (at this stage)

Otherwise you do not/cannot/ no need to use a Lane Brain.

None of the 4 major brands offer more than 8 cars. So the Lane Brain is mandatory if wanting to ID 9 to 16 cars. (If comparing to say Ninco)

WILL LANE BRAIN EVER BE MADE COMPATIBLE TO ANY SYSTEMS OTHER THAN SCORPIUS?

Ninco: No. The reason is I can never power the deadstrips , so I see no point in livening the flippers (they're plastic too)

SCX: No. Could be done. In the too hard basket.

SSD: Possibly but not likely.

Carrera: Possibly but not likely.

WHAT DOES THE CHIP INCLUDE?

Includes chip only, motor wires, IR LEDS and guide wires not included.

Why? This is to reduce costs as Ninco guys for example dont need it. Some guys who glued their LED in wont need it (theyll be using the existing one. SCX guys wont need LED either. LED's are very cheap, around 50 cents. Price of wire, negligible.

Note: The only other way of compatibility is to leave cars chips as are and make a multi protocol PB and LC's. Much easier the Scorpius way=)

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic