Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

Dog,

Once you have the power of a PC onboard the game suddenly gets very interesting.

Like today I was driving a slot car from my PC, wirelessly, changing lanes etc. =)

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Could change the way Proxy races are run forever....

Now you will have him thinking. He's mad enough to take it on <_<:lol:B):lol:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Could change the way Proxy races are run forever....

Now you will have him thinking. He's mad enough to take it on <_<:lol:B):lol:

Yeah especially the way camera technology is going. In car camera driving a proxy race from home. Need a good ping though, may be the way to beat the Tassie guy's.

Hi Guys.

SCORPIUS SOFTWARE

This is one of the Scorpius programs. Its used to change car and throttle parameters and info.

You can change ID

Adjust brake settings

Adjust throttle curve

Have a minimum speed (pace car)

You can limit speed (kiddies mode)

Later additions will include fuel and tyres, traction control, set PIN code, and light settings on car.

Also a register of car and owner details. Example car type, livery, car #, owner, driver etc

Capture3.jpg

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

How needs the new sloit controller when you can have a SCORPIUS do that for you. B)

I asume the advantage here is once the car has been tuned you dont have to adjust it unlike a controller where you would have to change your settings for each car.

Is it possible to save the settings for a specific track?

SCR%20logo.jpg

How needs the new sloit controller when you can have a SCORPIUS do that for you. :D

I asume the advantage here is once the car has been tuned you dont have to adjust it unlike a controller where you would have to change your settings for each car.

Is it possible to save the settings for a specific track?

Hi

It would be possible to have settings for each track if there was enough demand.

And yes you can leave the throttle curve, traction control and brakes set up in each cars chip.

Note I plan to release a Scorpius based module for the Slot.it controller as soon as the main Scorpius project is complete.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

It's getting betterer and betterer I reckon.

Are you going to be able to share the throttle parameters - for instance should people come over & bring their cars and handles am I going to be able to 'export' my handle setting so they have the current 'base' that I have?

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Hi Guys.

This is another example of Scorpius software.

THROTTLE TEST

Capture4throttletest.jpg

Shows ID

Coms port

Throttle

Brake

Lane Change

Version No.

Battery voltage

A handy tool for testing and checking Scorpius throttles.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Looking at options on how to get Scorpius to market. One idea put to me was shareholders, which is too messy, time consuming and expensive. Another idea put to me was a buying group where members money is pooled to get a cheaper price at cost. So how to implement this idea........?

CLUB SCORPIUS

Simply buying a membership gives the project cash flow to finish the project. The last component the Lane Brain is 50% complete. The other 3 components are 100% complete and ready for manufacture tomorrow. Those 3 components have been beta tested by real slot car racers and have results are favourable. The more members the greater the order the cheaper the price. 100 members would be ideal and would be open to any slot forum member anywhere in the world or any club enthusiast. Savings would be initially 50% but after costs would roughly equate to a 40% saving. Hows a $40 Scorpius car chip for $24 sound? A Lane brain for around $30 not $50?, throttle chips $36 not $59, dongle for $60 not $100. How much is membership?, I estimate around $200AUD would be affordable and beneficial, would be for a limited time span, and would last say 3 years, after that a yearly subscription is possible. Basically the $200 goes towards development costs, if there is a shortfall I wear it, if there is an excess that will be a profit. If this is achieved then it will be a win/win situation for all concerned. The prices are approximate of course at this stage and will vary depending on numbers, example 100 car chips would cost around $33 each to make but in a batch of 1000 around $20, a massive difference. Parts would arrive around 6 weeks after payment to manufacturer. The parts can be robot tested too. Of course a final specification and terms and conditions would be defined and a website would have to be set up to handle all the orders to make it all above board and legal, FAQ, specs, pictures. Ownership would always remain with Australian Slotcar Technologies. Im thinking its best to go 100% Scorpius and to forget the Ninco and SSD compatibility for now until I talk to them, I mean we dont want any problems. Also with LBs so reasonably priced for the extra functions and wireless installation, why bother? The LB would still run the big 4s LCs so you can use your existing track =)

The membership is burnt into your dongle and encrypted. The special member number is used to place orders.

Definition of costs: all development costs, engineers fees, prototype costs, transport, fuel, accomodation, air fares, phone calls, parts, postage, development royalties (3% of the manufacturing cost), website costs, bank fees, paypal fees, bookeeping, data base, legal costs, graphic design costs, packaging, wrapping, addressing, sending, queries, troubleshooting, warranty claims, advertising costs. The order processing, packaging, answering queries etc would be around 7% of the component manufacturing cost. Postage, insurance and any government tax is applicable as like any retail internet sale and cant be avoided. Price of development depends on exact specification. Costs could be kept down by ommitting some fancier options. A hall effect sensor could be developed for the Parma economy, not a pretty controller but a Scorpius hall effect board and battery pack fit in in minutes=). We will forget the screen for now=)

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys.

SCORPIUS DIGITAL/ANALOGUE HYBRID TRACK WIRING

My new track will be analogue/digital.

IMG_1414.jpg

Im using two (2 lanes) consoles as shown, $45 each from Armchair Racer

IMG_1412.jpg

Add a Scorpius decoder, this receives signal from Scorpius controller and sends PWM power to rails to run car.

This is 3 amp chip. Later I plan to make a 10 amp version..

IMG_1413.jpg

Plug it in.

IMG_1415.jpg

Add a cover too pretty it up.

Basically each lane is powered like an analogue track. Hit the switch and power bypasses console and goes direct from PSU to rails to run Scorpius mode. Simple and effective.

The PC can still talk to the console chip.

Te PC can still talk to the throttle. Example adjustable throttle curve.

The throttles functions are still able to work, example adjust brakes, fuel management, pit stops.

Analogue with wireless controller and added functionality.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

LATEST SCORPIUS FUNCTION AND SPECIFICATION SHEET as of 07.09.2008

Scorpius Functions

A PC based 2.4GHz wireless 16 car digital slot system suitable for club, commercial and top end home use. Cars, throttles, and lane changers all employ wireless 2 way data transfer and interact with PC via a wireless USB dongle.

Scorpiuswielessdatapath-1.jpg

Wireless controller

A Scorpius throttle chip with integral wiper board is housed in a Parma Economy controller. 2 x AAA batteries are located in a battery holder in the handle. Two buttons are fitted to the housing, one for lane changing, one for brakes. The Scorpius controllers software can be upgraded wirelessly in 30 seconds with ease. A mechanical vibrator is included for various alerts. Just use the Scorpius software program on your PC. Get the latest version free online!

scorpius032.jpg

Wireless car chip

A robust 3 amp 18V wireless digital decoder measuring 30mm x 12mm.

The Scorpiuscar decoders software can be upgraded wirelessly in 30 seconds with ease. Just use the Scorpius software program on your PC.

ScorpiuscarchipVersionIIfront.jpg

Lane Changer Electronics

Nick named Lane Brain, this wireless lane changer has ID recognition, 2 way communications with PC car and controller, live flipper function, anti collision function, programmable best line, bi directional function, auto pit bay function, laptiming/counting function and more.

A separate 12V DC circuit is recommended to power the lane changers.

LBLoadedBoard-1.jpg

Lane Changer Assembly

For routed tracks Scorpius custom machined flippers will be available. Free plans will be supplied on how to easily construct a new lane changer for routed tracks from scratch.

For plastic tracks the Lane Brain can be retro fitted to Scorpius, SSD, Carrera, Ninco and SCX lane changers.

flipperjpegbest-2.jpg

Flipper assembly plan

Multilane timing/lapcounting

Send car ID from up to 4 lanes per Lane Brain to pclapcounter via dongle.

Armchair3rdJan08-1.jpg

Wireless USB dongle

The PC can send and receive data as required to and from the car, throttle and lane changer using the USB wireless dongle.

Download the latest firmware to lane changer, controller or car chip wirelessly also using the dongle.

Only one dongle is required per system.

dongle.jpg

Dongle prototype

Routed track or plastic track application

The system is made for routed wooden and plastic track systems.

slot-22.jpg

Scorpius chipped LMPs

Power Supplies

Any variable 8V-18V DC regulated supply will do. Allow 2 to 3 amps per car.

Connection is simply from PSU direct to rails, or if using digital/analogue hybrid track power is directed to analogue/digital console.

Scorpiuspowerdiagram.jpg

Power is simple to set up. As many amps as you need is possible.

Digital/Analogue Hybrid Track

Power each lane separately and add a bypass switch to any analogue console and use each lane as digital or analogue at the flick of a switch. Use your existing analogue controller (recommend positive powered controllers)

scorpiustestunits.jpg

Scorpius Wireless Throttle for Analogue Racing

By adding a Scorpius decoder to the analogue console, an analogue car can be controlled by the Scorpius digital wireless controller. Brakes, channel ID, throttle curve, kiddies mode (max speed), pace cars (min speed) and fuel management can be utilized by a standard analogue car.

IMG_1415.jpg

Scorpius wireless decoder with analogue console.

PC functions using Scorpius software

Practice mode

Qualifying mode

Race Mode

Program personal best line.

Adjust brakes in 1% increments.

Adjust throttle curve

Set car ID

Set throttle ID

SET LC ID

Test throttle battery voltage

Test throttle signal

Test brake signal

Test throttle ID

Adjust transmitting power of dongle

Check version number of component of throttle

Check version number of component of car chip

Single speed pace car (set min. speed)

Kiddies mode (set max. speed)

Variable speed ghost car

Pit lane speed reduction

Track call to pre determined % of speed.

Capture3.jpg

Race Management System by pclapcounter

Available separately from pclapcounter direct, cost 50.00EUR.

1/1000th sec timing

Manage up to 16 digital car IDs

Display totally skeletal (Font, size, width, height, x and y position

Display number of laps, time, best time, average, gap between 1st and 2nd driver, position, total time on track, reaction time and more.

Race for time or laps.

Min and max times for each lap

Driver rotation, team and series

Fuel management

Race data save

Statistics for car, drivers and track

Championship mode

Match sound to 9 events

False start detection

Languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Netherlands, Brazillian, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech, Italian.

pclapcounter.jpg

ELECTRONICS SPECIFICATIONS

Car Chip

1.1. Electrical

1.1.1 Operates on AC, DC or pulsed DC

1.1.2 6 Volts Minimum

1.1.3 18 Volts Maximum

1.1.4 3 Amps Maximum Peak Motor Load Current

1.2. Motor Control

1.2.1 PWM Control Method for Drive and Brake

1.2.2 256 Step Resolution

1.2.3 500 Hz or 4 KHz (default) PWM Frequency

1.2.4 Motor Current detection for Traction Control

1.3. Wireless Communication

1.3.1 2.4-2.5 GHz ISM band RF transceiver

1.3.2 Receives throttle, lane change, digital output, configuration commands

1.3.3 Transmits lane change requests, status and configuration information

1.3.4 Allows wireless update of chip firmware (re-flashing)

1.4. Electrical Interfaces

1.4.1 IR Photodiode to detect Scorpius lane changer

1.4.2 IR LED for sending car ID and lane change request to SSD System

1.4.3 Data via braid for sending car ID and lane change request to Ninco System

1.4.4 Solenoid Driver for SCX lane change

1.4.5 6 Digital Outputs for lights, horn, etc

1.5. Configuration Information

Note: Configuration information is sent to car using PC Configuration utility and PC RF dongle.

Note: All text fields are limited to 24 characters maximum

1.5.1 Car ID

1.5.2 Car # (physical number on slot-car)

1.5.3 ID Mode, eg: Scorpius, Ninco, SSD, SCX

Note: This setting is not required as all ID modes can operate concurrently

1.5.4 Motor PWM Frequency

1.5.5 Brake settings (%)

1.5.6 Traction control settings (%) Future function

Note; Traction control algorithm to be determined

1.5.7 Fuel Level (%) Or by pclapcounter

1.5.8 Fuel Consumption Rate Or by pclapcounter

Note: Fuel Consumption Algorithm to be determined

1.5.9 Tyre Status (%) Or by pclapcounter

1.5.10 Tyre Wear Rate Or by pclapcounter

Note: Tyre Wear Rate Algorithm to be determined

1.5.11 Driver’s name

1.5.12 Car type

1.5.13 Colour

1.5.14 Livery (eg: Malboro)

2.1 Throttle Controller

2.1.0 Electrical

2.1.1 Operates on 2 x AAA Alkaline Cells

2.1.2 3 month Battery Life (based on average usage of a few hours per week)

2.1.3 Activates Sleep Mode after 3 minutes of throttle inactivity

Note: In sleep mode the throttle input is checked for activity (throttle input greater than minimum throttle activation level) every 0.5 seconds

2.2. Electrical Interfaces

2.2.1 0 – 5K ohm Throttle Resistance

2.2.2 Lane Change Push Button Switch (N/O or N/C)

2.2.3 Brake Push Button Switch (N/O or N/C)

2.2.4 Inputs for Optional Push Button Switches (N/O or N/C) for Lights, and up to 5 other functions

2.2.5 Electro-mechanical Vibrator

Note: Vibrator is used to alert low fuel and tire wear. It is also used to signal ID and brake level when changed in standalone mode (see below)

2.3. Wireless Communication

2.3.1 2.4-2.5 GHz ISM band RF transceiver

2.3.2 Transmits throttle, lane change requests, digital outputs and basic configuration information

Note: Throttle, lane change and digital outputs are sent to the car 20 times per second

2.3.3 Receives status, and configuration commands

2.3.4 Allows wireless update of throttle firmware (re-flashing)

2.4. Configuration Information

Note: Configuration information is sent to throttle using PC Configuration utility and PC RF dongle.

2.4.1 Throttle ID

2.4.2 Minimum Throttle Activation Level (%)

2.4.3 Throttle Curve (10 point table)

2.4.4 Fuel Alert Level (%)

2.4.5 Tyre Wear Alert Level (%)

2.5. Standalone Configuration (without PC Dongle)

2.5.1 Allows Throttle ID to be set

Note: To set throttle ID, wait at least 10 seconds after releasing throttle. Press LC button for 2 seconds. Subsequent short presses of LC button count throttle ID. 2 seconds after last press of LC button, throttle ID is set and is signaled by the vibrator.

2.5.2 Allows Car ID to be set to Throttle ID

Note: To set car ID, wait at least 10 seconds after releasing throttle then remove car from track for at least 5 seconds and replace on track. Press LC button for 2 seconds. 2 seconds after releasing LC button, throttle ID is sent to car and sets car ID.

2.5.3 Allows Brake Level to be set (20% increments)

Note: To set car brake level, car ID must be set to Throttle ID (see above). Wait at least 10 seconds after releasing throttle. Press Brake button for 2 seconds. Subsequent short presses of Brake button increment brake level by 20%. 2 seconds after last press of Brake button, brake level is sent to car.

3.1.0 Lane Brain Lane Changer Electronics

Electrical

3.1.1 Operates on DC power

3.1.2 8.0 V min.

3.1.3 13.8 V max

3.1.4 1.5 amp minimum

Wireless Communication

3.1.5 2.4-2.5 GHz ISM band RF transceiver

3.1.6 Receives throttle, lane change, digital output, configuration commands

3.1.7 Transmits lane change requests, status and configuration information

3.1.8 Allows wireless update of chip firmware (re-flashing)

Electrical interfaces

3.1.9 4 x IR LED to transmit LC ID (one on lane 1 & @ entry and Lane 1 & 2 exit for use in bi-directional mode)

3.1.10 2 x 5.0V flipper drivers

3.1.11 4 x spare analogue I/O

3.1.12 4 x spare digital I/O

4.1.0 PC RF Dongle

Wireless Communication

4.1.1 2.4-2.5 GHz ISM band RF transceiver, USB powered

4.1.2 Receives throttle, lane change information.

4.1.3 Transmits throttle, car and lane change information.

4.1.4 Allows wireless update of car and throttle ID and parameters.

scorpius012.jpg

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

LATEST SCORPIUS FUNCTION AND SPECIFICATION SHEET as of 07.09.2008

Scorpius Functions

A PC based 2.4GHz wireless 16 car digital slot system suitable for club, commercial and top end home use. Cars, throttles, and lane changers all employ wireless 2 way data transfer and interact with PC via a wireless USB dongle.

Race Management System by pclapcounter

Available separately from pclapcounter direct, cost 50.00EUR.

Rick

Rick

Is it possible to use the current PC system that I have? UR3.0, just used to it and like the layout.

no problem changing if this is not an option.

Paul

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

UR3.0? You mean windows 3.0?

That'ed be the RMS, Ultimate Racer (UR) 3.0, Rick.

Sorry guys never heard of it :angry:

Pclapcounter is being especially designed to accept Scorpius 16 car code. Once a standard is set other RMS's can use the same code.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

UR3.0? You mean windows 3.0?

That'ed be the RMS, Ultimate Racer (UR) 3.0, Rick.

Sorry guys never heard of it :angry:

Pclapcounter is being especially designed to accept Scorpius 16 car code. Once a standard is set other RMS's can use the same code.

Thats ok Rick

I'm sure what ever you use will do the Job.

How many numbers are you up to now?

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic