aussieslotter

Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

Hi Shift,

Thanks for your input.

I guess every type of racing can have different rules.

In V8 Supercars here in Oz pit entry is never closed. Everyone tries to pit fit fuel straight away, if required of course. Laps are still counted.

It will all be configurable anyway.

Rick

The best form of satisfaction is success.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

IN CAR FUNCTIONS HERE WE COME

Hi Guys.

How to make a slot car do advanced functions?

Currently race management systems take care of special functions like record/playback, Scorpius’ artificial intelligence used in our Smart Car function, simulations and more. The exception is Carreras safety car function which is done in car.

With Maximus just about to hit the market with its powerful nRF52840_CKAA chip with 1MB memory we can start planning in car functionality.

Ive just asked John to comment on recording/playback in car. Yes of course possible he answered as long as we employ Wear Levelling. (Google it).

This will open up a whole new world of exciting possibilities. Wow very cool. I’m excited.

What functionality or features can people think of? I can think of quite a few straight off the bat. But what about you? What would you like to see added in to enhance an already great experience?

Rick 

• Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

BIG WEEK FOR TEAM SCORPIUS

Wow its been a huge week for the team:

Hardware: Boards being manufactured. Unloaded boards completed by 28/09/2021 ready for loading.

Firmware: Bootloader being added for Wireless Colour Touchscreen Light Gantry.

Software: Huge new feature for safety cars started.

Appware: Work starts on converting Android to iOS.

3D design: Flipper assembly tweaked.

3D printing: 3D printing prototypes begin.

The team is spread out across the globe. A truly international talented team, all top of their field.

One very proud Aussie;)

Rick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

www.scorpiuswireless.com

On 9/12/2021 at 2:15 AM, MrFlippant said:

No one asked about how it's done, they only care if it's done, and if it works.

I have 8 cars with simulations on a wireless system using one dongle. Using your math, that's 24 of whatever you're talking about. If  xxxxxx doesn't do all those communications, yet still achieves the desired end result, then you're bragging about needing to do more work, with more dongles, to get the same result? By your logic, one dongle should be able to handle 8 cars with full simulation, therefore the same work is being done by both systems. I don't expect RCSO2 to need three dongles to acheive that result, but if they do, then the math is still the same. One dongle per 8 cars with full simulation. 

Did you find out why the limitation is only 8 yet Greg? 
We need 24 not 8.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Sending things ×3 can't help ..

Spaghetti Mess = More Stress. .

Projects of Clown is a great laugh. 

On 9/11/2021 at 9:18 AM, aussieslotter said:

So your system has unique lane changer IDs for each. Hmmm .....Which system has that? 

oXigen doesn't require unique IDs for the lane changers to function properly, therefore it does not have any, and is not limited by such things. I've never felt the need for them, but I understand you make use of those IDs and direct address of lane changers in certain ways, which is cool. For large competition tracks, such as the oXigen 24hr Le Mans track, such a limitation would have been inconvenient, at best.

11 hours ago, aussieslotter said:

Did you find out why the limitation is only 8 yet Greg? 
We need 24 not 8.

I did not. As a user, I don't care about how it works, only that it does. I expect the reasoning is quite similar to the reason Scorpius Wireless requires three dongles do to the same thing for 24 cars. Also, the limitation of 8 is only a limitation of the current RCSO2 race manager and the firmware of the oXigen dongle. Time will tell what the requirements are when the rms and firmware are updated.

How many cars, WITH full racing simulations (e.g. the speed and braking are effected by race conditions such as fuel burn, tire wear, and track condition) are currently supported by a single USB dongle on each system?

oXigen: 8

Scorpius: 0

How many USB dongles are currently required for the aforementioned racing simulations to work for each system?

oXigen: 1 (currently limited to 8 cars)

Scorpius: 3 (24 cars with simulations)

Will oXigen require a second, or even third dongle to support those simulations with more cars? Possibly. The RCS team is working on a new version of RCSO2 that supports the full complement of cars and simulations, with cooperation from slot.it on new dongle firmware. When they are ready to speak about their new version, then we'll all find out how many additional USB dongles, if any, are required for all 20 cars with racing simulations enabled.

I'm sure there are some Scorpius users out there who would appreciate the ability to run "just" 8 cars with full racing simulation. Is it possible Scorpius Wireless could release a version of its race manager that does so? As far as I can tell, if they want racing simulation features, they'll need three dongles, even if they only want it for a few cars.

For reference:

On 9/11/2021 at 6:39 AM, aussieslotter said:

Direct Drive: 1 dongle, but none of the advance RMS features including pace cars fuel weight simulation, tire simulations, and all the future support we have planned.

Pace Cars: 2 dongles. Both constant speed and recorded pace cars will run with two dongles as before. As with a single dongle none of the advanced features are available.

Dynamic Throttle: 3 dongles. All current and most likely all future RMS features are supported.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFlippant said:

XXXXXX doesn't require unique IDs for the lane changers to function properly, therefore it does not have any, and is not limited by such things. I've never felt the need for them, but I understand you make use of those IDs and direct address of lane changers in certain ways, which is cool. For large competition tracks, such as the oXigen 24hr Le Mans track, such a limitation would have been inconvenient, at best.

Hi Greg

Thanks for your input. Such rational discussion can only be good for the industry and especially Scorpius.;)

And sure you may not feel the need but most others do. Its all about the customer user experience, not one individual right?

As we all know it is not a limitation but just the opposite, an excellent advantage made possible by simple yet clever architectural design, with the addition of only firmware and software to take the system past the norm, ie a car being able to go, stop, count laps, change lanes and have a wireless controller and app. All those basic concepts are available on 2  large commercial companies systems right now. If that's all the functionality you require then you can buy those systems from Toys R Us online today for quite cheap pricing.:)

I'm still struggling to see also how such advanced functionality is inconvenient for large competition races. Fact is it isn't. Take any advanced 1:1 car, examples are AWD, clever traction control, advanced electronics, sensors, wireless feedback are not considered as "inconvenient" or a "limitation".  The answer is certainly not. Agreed?;)

I guess it if cost extra, employed additional hardware or wiring, took longer to install or made the system unreliable, ala bootloaders, I would definitely give it some weight. But none of those factors exist in this discussion.

As you know the new trend is Wireless DC. Currently 3 companies use this architecture. And why wouldn't you? These 3 systems all employ these hardware aspects as follows:

1. All 3 use LEDS to transmit IDs.

2. All 3 use photo transistors.

3. All 3 use 2.4GHz wireless comms.

4. All 3 employ firmware. (of course).

5. All 3 employ software. (of course).

Two companies have the LED (for ID) in the car and the photo transistor (photo sensor) in the track.

Scorpius uses the opposite, the LED (for IDs) in the track and the photo sensor in the car.

Different manufacturers choose different ways to utilise the various hard/firm/software  to achieve their end goals.

Scorpius simply utilised the above in a very different wat to give a vastly different result..... that's simply cost effective INNOVATION. ;)

Each lane changer has the LED pointing upwards just before every lane changer.  Every lane changer has 2 way wireless communications. The track can talk to the car or PC, the car can talk to the PC or track. Note there is no LIMITATION or INCONVENIENCE here, I think you and others will agree.

Now lets look at the advantages of using the Scorpius architecture and why it is only good for enthusiasts and the industry as a whole once firmware and software is tweaked:

1: Sector timing as standard. 

2. Car location as standard. This includes not only sector but also which lane.

3. A tool to recalibrate ghost and pace cars at EVERY lane changer.

4. Pit lane identification.

5. Pit bay identification.

6. Pace car location when parked.

7. Safety car location when parked.

8. Ability to operate a slot car with Artificial Intelligence (ala Scorpius Smart Car).

9. Anti collision.

10. Very cool autonomous Pace and Safety cars currently under development by Team Scorpius.

11. Other developments currently under wrap.

I bet you could have all this tomorrow? Am I right. Who wouldn't? Everyone does. Of course you need the firmware skills and the best slot car software engineers.;)

Do you still maintain this technology simply using LEDs and photo transistors is limiting or inconvenient Greg? I'm pretty sure you're by yourself on this one.

Seeing the larger competitions all use pits and fuel the above feature list fits like a glove. Le Mans has sector timing, why wouldn't you want it on a big race...... a clever team can identify their weak sectors and change gearing, tyres, race lines etc to optimise their times just like 1:1.

Rick

• Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

4 hours ago, MrFlippant said:

I did not. As a user, I don't care about how it works, only that it does. I expect the reasoning is quite similar to the reason Scorpius Wireless requires three dongles do to the same thing for 24 cars. Also, the limitation of 8 is only a limitation of the current RCSO2 race manager and the firmware of Brand A's dongle. Time will tell what the requirements are when the rms and firmware are updated.

How many cars, WITH full racing simulations (e.g. the speed and braking are effected by race conditions such as fuel burn, tire wear, and track condition) are currently supported by a single USB dongle on each system?

Brand A: 8

Scorpius: 0

How many USB dongles are currently required for the aforementioned racing simulations to work for each system?

Brand A: 1 (currently limited to 8 cars)

Scorpius: 3 (24 cars with simulations)

Nice try but as I've explained twice you’re missing 2 massively important aspects.

Scorpius has incredible TRACK TELEMETRY.

Scorpius has incredible CAR TELEMETRY........... which together give 11 huge functions as described in the post above. Please compare apples to apples to give a clear and fair assessment for our readers.;)

Sure we can do 8 cars with one dongle. But wait its NOT an 8 car system. If I want that I can simply use Carrera or Scalextric for that.

If a particular brand A needs a dongle for 8 cars with simulations, its obvious it will need 3 dongles for 20-24 cars. Now throw in telemetry (24 cars x 100 updates per second x 17 bit message, 0r 40,800 bits per second) add an extra dongle.

Thankyou also for the admission that firmware in the dongle is lacking.

I can also guarantee you it is not the limitation of the race software or its engineers. Team RCS will fully agree with me on this one.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

3 hours ago, MrFlippant said:

Will other brands require a second, or even third dongle to support those simulations with more cars? Possibly. The RCS team is working on a new version of RCSO2 that supports the full complement of cars and simulations, with cooperation from slot.it on new dongle firmware. When they are ready to speak about their new version, then we'll all find out how many additional USB dongles, if any, are required for all 20 cars with racing simulations enabled.

I'm sure there are some Scorpius users out there who would appreciate the ability to run "just" 8 cars with full racing simulation. Is it possible Scorpius Wireless could release a version of its race manager that does so? As far as I can tell, if they want racing simulation features, they'll need three dongles, even if they only want it for a few cars.

For reference:

Not really, Scorpius is a high end system, not for the feint hearted. There's no point lowering the specification to match other brands, and Scorpius users are typically the type who don't mind paying a fraction extra for massive increased functionality. And I can guarantee you for any brand to have 24 car track telemetry, 24 car car telemetry and 24 car simulations 3 perhaps more dongles will be required. There will also be discounts for those buying 3 dongles.

Of course if you just want simulations 2 dongles will be fine.

Seeing we have options for 3 levels of excitement based on 1, 2 or 3 dongles we have covered all bases.;)

Rick

Scorpius Dongle.JPG

• Like 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi All

After discussion between myself, Gazza and tsmsoccer, (Charlie) we have decided this thread needs to be locked until we have had further discussion. It is unfortunate to have to take this action but there are a number of issues and we have let it slide for too long. Maybe if I had acted earlier it wouldn’t come to this but unfortunately this is the way it will be for now. It is now becoming too difficult to manage as we are just a hobby forum and it really shouldn’t need constant monitoring.

The forum is there for all slotcar enthusiasts to use to share information. It was never the intention for a manufacturer, supplier or similar to take centre stage with multiple updates daily.

There have been a number of questionable posts that have had to be edited and some that have not been edited but probably should. Some of these have resulted in people walking away from Auslot as we have been seen to be friends with Rick. While this is true it is probably bad management on my part to not act sooner and Rick has probably seen the inaction as a green light.

So Rick I apologise for doing this but we need to take a step back and get Auslot back to where it started. I will call you at some stage during the week once Gazza, Charlie and myself have reconvened.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1