Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

Excellent. They will need some floss for the Fairies in Canberra :huh:

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

SCORPIUS PRICE LIST UPDATE

FULL RETAIL PRICES

AUSTRALIA

Car chip $39.95

Controller $119.95

Lane Brain $59.95

Dongle $119.99

Total cost for:

4x controller

4x car chip

4 x Lane Brain

1x Dongle

Total $999.00 AUD Including GST

GREAT BRITAIN

Car chip 16.95

Controller 49.95

Lane Brain 24.95

Dongle 49.95

Total cost for:

4x controller

4x car chip

4 x Lane Brain

1x Dongle

Total 399.00 GBP

EUROPE

Car chip 22.95

Controller 59.95

Lane Brain 29.95

Dongle 59.95

Total cost for:

4x controller

4x car chip

4 x Lane Brain

1x Dongle

Total 499.00 EURO

USA

Car chip 26.95

Controller 89.95

Lane Brain 39.95

Dongle 89.95

Total cost for:

4x controller

4x car chip

4 x Lane Brain

1x Dongle

Total 699.00 USD

CANADA

Car chip $34.95

Controller $99.95

Lane Brain $49.95

Dongle $99.95

Total cost for:

4x controller

4x car chip

4 x Lane Brain

1x Dongle

Total 799.00CDN

Prices subject to change.

Prices not applicable to Club Scorpius members =)

Edited by aussieslotter

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Version II Throttle

We couldnt help ourselves. The Scorpius throttle, based on the Parma casing will include the following:

1) Hall effect operation

2) LCD (2 x 16) screen

3) 5 Way Navigation button

4) 2 Trim Pots for Brakes and Throttle curve. ( Traction control will be adjusted on PC.)

Hall effect was so much easier to implement than we expected. In fact half a days work to set up a test throttle. And it works perfectly. It will have auto calibration (as we have now). It will take up less room and have 300 step resolution rather than 14 as we have now. So it will be even smoother. We are ordering boards this week.

Rechargeable batteries are out as the extra hardware required wasnt worth the trade off.

In the meantime Lane Brain progressing well with the main functions operating. Soon we can road test.

And Guy from PC Lapcounter about to add 24 car IDs and modifications to accept Scorpius lap counting signal.

Cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

scan0005.jpg

Planning the board prior to designing electronics

As you can see the new throttle has a screen (V-Dash), 2 trim pots (one adjusting brakes, the other adjusting throttle curve) and 2 momentary switches. What you cant see is the hall effect electronics.

Later we plan to make a dedicated Scorpius housing but what you see is the final version of the throttle.

The screen is on the left side, the 2 trim pots on the right side, but easily accessible by forefinger and thumb reaching over. The trim pots are designed to fit through the slots. The right side of casing is left complete, the left side cut away to see the screen.

The navigation button wasnt needed. To set ID for example, press LC and button simultaneously, use brake trim pot to scroll, use brake button to select. After completion press LC and brake button simultaneously, race.

Note the lowering of the brake button, such much more comfortable.

The Parma casing is extremely strong and 2 AAA batteries fit perfectly in the void of the handle.

Cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Yup Paul its mainly a Euro/UK/Canada thing mainly, USA and Aust simply are not into digital slots as much, but that could easily change =)

Mate since I posted those comments I have had a couple of PM's from locals asking about digital....makes me want to get my track finished to see who will come out of the woodwork...so to speak :D

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Yup Paul its Euro/UK/Canada thing mainly atthe moment, USA and Aust simply are not into digital slots as much, but that could easily change =)

We are often behind the 8 ball - but not in ideas and yours is another example on what aussies are capable of doing but often have to go OS to achieve....

GREAT WORK

and good to see the site up and running would be cool to know the hits and where u are getting the from?

cheers

Darren

Great site Rick.

Could i just ask a question for a friend that asked about it,

Since you can run 3 Scorpius systems in 1 room, can you add 3 to one track to run 3x16cars ? (so a grid of 48)

Brendan

You have up to 80 channels so yes 48 is possible.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Great site Rick.

Could i just ask a question for a friend that asked about it,

Since you can run 3 Scorpius systems in 1 room, can you add 3 to one track to run 3x16cars ? (so a grid of 48)

Brendan

You have up to 80 channels so yes 48 is possible.

Yikes! 48 cars on my track.....mmmmm......carnage!!! ;):lol:

Rick I think I will need to build a three bay shed and get busy with the router.......that would be some track though, it would have to be a bit like the one over in europe where they did the 24Hr race

I'll be happy with my 8 car track for now :)

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

SCORPIUS CONTROLLER 2.0

009.jpg

Here you see 10mm O.D. aluminium pipe to space the board. See the trigger close to the dummy board? This is for the hall effect electronics. The tiny 2.8 mm dia. magnet goes in the white nylon trigger, the hall effect sensor on the PCB adjacent. The new controller will have 320 step resolution!

ScorpiusV20throttlePCB-1.jpg

Ok Day 2.

John designs board to fit entirely within the controller housing.

The 2 larger yellow squares up top are the 2 trim pots, one for brakes, the other for throttle curve.

The 2 yellow switches are button braking (front) and lane changing (rear).

The yellow rectangle with 2 purple holes bottom right is for the vibrator for fuel alerts etc.

The tiny chip middle bottom is the hall effecr sensor.

Now look at the cutaway view top right, you can see "Scor" backwards, this is the screen on the other side. "Scorpius" will be the screen default text.

The white section photo shopped out.

You will soon be able to program car ID, brakes, throttle curve and future proposed function Traction Control using screen, trim pots to scroll, and buttons to select.

Next: We are considering making our own dongle rather than the off the shelf variety.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hey Rick, think it might be getting a little insane yet????? :lol: Mate, this is going to be brilliant in the end and if the cost is low enough, a great seller for both digital and analog.

Stu

Old racers race harder

Hi Stu,

Yes later were planning a ten amp "receiver" version for analogue, for analogue racing with wireless controllers. Just connect module to power 12V and outputs direct to rails and you get a wireless throttle with PC interface as standard. The difference we are chipping each lane rather than the car. You cannot talk directly to car or change lanes and you'd still need the analogue lap counter.

Major points being you can drive from anywhere around the track, 320 step throttle resolution (smooth), adjust brakes, throttle curve from controller, tyre and fuel programs, real speed pace cars, kiddies mode and future proposed function, traction control. Self marshalling while racing alone becomes a breeze.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Stu,

Yes later were planning a ten amp "receiver" version for analogue, for analogue racing with wireless controllers. Just connect module to power 12V and outputs direct to rails and you get a wireless throttle with PC interface as standard. The difference we are chipping each lane rather than the car. You cannot talk directly to car or change lanes and you'd still need the analogue lap counter.

Major points being you can drive from anywhere around the track, 320 step throttle resolution (smooth), adjust brakes, throttle curve from controller, tyre and fuel programs, real speed pace cars, kiddies mode and future proposed function, traction control. Self marshalling while racing alone becomes a breeze.

Bring it on. I am interested.

I am about to route my new 4 laner at Christmas time. Is going to be analogue..at the moment...but scorpius has got me thinking :lol::D:lol:

Normal people worry me

Hi Guys,

UNI_0605.jpg

Here we have one throttle with hall effect, pots, LCD & vibrator. Had to use a 5mm long x 3mm dia magnet to get the bottom end of the range but its nice and smooth. Dynamic braking is adjustable from pot and displays on LCD. Vibrator operates when throttle goes to sleep and is woken up. 320 step resolution is over 20 times smoother than the 14 step Pete Repete controller.

Lots more to do but this is a good start.

Casing needs to trimmed parallel to screen otherwise its a great fit.

Meantime behind the scenes some hardcore testing is going on with Lane Brain, to date not a fault with lapcounting, changing lanes or liven flipper.

We were able to design, order parts and build a working prototype in 18 days flat (of which ten days were spent waiting for boards and parts to arrive) and it works. Many thanks to John for a super effort.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

UNI_0606.jpg

UNI_0607.jpg

UNI_0608.jpg

The throttle firmware now displays ID and dynamic brake that can be adjusted on the fly. It also has a basic menu function that allows:

Changing throttle ID

Setting the car ID

Reflashing

To activate menu, wait until throttle goes to sleep (vibrates), press brake and LC buttons simultaneously (either button alone wakes the throttle), use brake pot to choose menu item, press LC to select, brake to escape. Menu will need to be expanded later to include additional items like curve editing, learner mode, etc.

Oh and we squared the casing up=)

Heres the other side....

UNI_0611.jpg

Look carefully you can see the magnet installed in the white trigger arm.

UNI_0610.jpg

UNI_0609.jpg

Still sourcing knobs.

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic