Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

How many chips have you done and what ratio was the problem? Until it is a commercial viability does testing them first before sending out a possibility or do the problems take a while to show up?

Sounds promising anyway, good luck.

Hey Vinno,

We ended up with 8 pefect ones from 16. The firmware (Firmware is basically software) is all identical so it prove its a hardware problem. As all the components are identical, the only variation is the human element, eg soldering, neatness, not cooking board.

Anyway the first batch of boards have done their job and are ready for the bin. Already we have 100 Version II unloaded printed circuit boards at Johns place ready to build a 2nd generation prototype. We suspect it will identical to the final version.

Generally 90% of problems are immediately apparent.

Yes I will be testing every chip before they go out.

Once you get to robot stage the robot can actually check it, unreal.

For those who dont know this chip is wirelessly upgradeable, that is if errors are made in firmware or extra functions become available, it can be done from your PC at no cost. With this in mind if the physical chip is 100% then all should be ok. Im puposefully slowing release down to ensure quality. Im going back to Phils yet again soon as we solder some new generation chips together.

Rick

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Rick

I've gotta say I was impressed with Scorpius and can't wait to see it in production.

The throttle response and wirelessness is really impressive and makes the system worth considering for the that alone.

And thanks to Phil and all the guys for a good night's company.

Cheers,

Charles

"all I want for my birthdy is another birthdy" Ian Dury...bless 'im.

G'day Rick

Grats on the second testing session.Sounds like improvements from first time round.

John needs a pat on the back for soldering all those chips by hand.For work I do soldering from time to time and doing chips that small would take a lot of time to get perfect.So tell him to keep up the good work,I know there will be lots more chips for him to do before they can replace him with robots...hahaha.

All the best for the next run.

Regards

Nulla

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

Hi guys,

Been reading the updates on the Scorpius project and I it appears that things are going great, and that is a good thing. My concern is problem you have encountered with the Ninco systems. I hope that you will be able to sort it out because I want to use your system on my track whenever it is released. Keep up the good work. If I can do anything to help, even though I am in Texas, I will. :aussie:

Kirk

Hi Rick,

I know this may be a little bit left of centre, but we run HO cars over here in the West, and with our racemeets being generally crowded in a persons living room, the idea od a wireless Parma controller has been a long appealing one to me.

Is it possible to adapt the system such that the wireless transponder in the controller can transmit to a 'dongle/connector' that can connect to the track?

I should probably add that we run RO cars up to around 30v with around 5A pull per car.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

QUOTE Is it possible to adapt the system such that the wireless transponder in the controller can transmit to a 'dongle/connector' that can connect to the track? UNQUOTE

No

QUOTE I should probably add that we run RO cars up to around 30v with around 5A pull per car.

UNQUOTE

Scorpius chip is rated 20V, 3 amp.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

VERSION II SCORPIUS CAR CHIP FIRST PICS

ScorpiuscarchipVersionIIfront.jpg

Front.

ScorpiuscarchipVersionIIrear.jpg

Rear. The two wires by themselves on the left side are for Scorpius proprietry LC and car ID signalling. The hardware at the end of the two wires has been erased by photoshop due to the confidentiality of this aspect of the project=)

Has Scorpius capacitor (25V), You could go smaller (SSD) or larger (Ninco) or mount remotely on fly lead.

Notes:

a)The 30x12mm sizing.

b)Wirelessly upgradeable firmware

c)Traction control hardware

d)SCX actuator driver

e)And most importantly our own Scorpius proprietry system hardware

This chip has ability to take data via rails too=) (Later project maybe??)

Another important feature is that it can run in multi mode, example run in SSD or Ninco mode, yet display car ID via Scorpius proprietry hardware, in order to work in with Lane Brain. A good example of integrating this this would be installing a Lane Brain at start finish line for sending car ID to say PCLapcounter wirelessly from LB straight to USB dongle, yet still triggering Ninco LC's. You could also implement pit functions by addition of even just one Lane Brain at Pit Entry. Once PC, USB dongle and even two Lane Brains can add "more possibilities", yet still use Ninco changers and track. Virtual fuel can be implemented.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys,

SCORPIUS TEST TRACK

Heres the CAD drawing of my new proposed digital timber routed track.

36 metres

8 m pit lane

2-3 lanes

Bi-directional

Legend:

Red= lanes1-3

Blue= Best line

Yellow=Borders

Aqua=Pits

track_latest600PXgoodjpeg-1.jpg

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Thats a big track I would like to see that when its finshed :D

You may need to reconsider the little kink in the track going under the bridge between corner 2 and 3 as it may be a deslot hazard.

Other than that the pit lane is very unique and to see something like this in operation would be fantastic. :):):)

Cheers

Wayne

SCR%20logo.jpg

Thats a big track I would like to see that when its finshed :D

You may need to reconsider the little kink in the track going under the bridge between corner 2 and 3 as it may be a deslot hazard.

Other than that the pit lane is very unique and to see something like this in operation would be fantastic. :):):)

Cheers

Wayne

Great eyesight you have, yes its already been tweaked along with other bits. Will post a clearer updated version soon.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Stu,

Im using all Scorpius components. Im not actually routing the track till the electronics are in place, just getting ready.

Cheers

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just got back from PJR Racing (Phils shop). Another 1400kms to the tally, phew!

Preparing for next weekends meet meant pre testing all 16 cars and throttles. I took a couple of spares of each just in case.

Once again thankyou to Phil for use of his facilities. Much appreciated.

We had a great afternoon/night. The track was in great shape.

We had a few glitches.

One car ran rough, and sometimes came to a halt, but after swapping cars we found it was just a bad connection.

One glitch was cars running on at the end of straights. These were throttle related and generally from standard SSD ones we are using. Cant wait to work on a hall sensor or try the Slot.it controller. But thats another project. Swapping throttles eliminated the Scorpius chip from being the culprit.

Another quirky glitch is if two or more throttles are assigned to the same ID cars can sometimes run rough. Luckily the introduction of a PIN code will prevent this in future. Good thinking John.

One interesting quirk was no lane change was possible on car ID 16. Easy to fix, just a firmware tweak.

So this is a massive improvement from the last trip to Phils. I think we have learnt as much as we are going to learn from Version I chip so after next weekend its onto Version II. The version I chips will become redundant.

On a seperate note at one stage we had the power from the Ninco PB to the track disconnected, but not the wires to the PB deadstrips. We then connected the DS3800 PSU straight to the rails for Scorpius power.

Worked a treat.

Next stage for Phils track is to introduce Lane Brain for lap times with 16 car IDs.

We now have 16 tested cars and throttles ready for a race meet at Phils next weekend.

So Im learning more and more how important the throttle is. Its where it all begins. If the throttle is only 95%, then 95% performance is all you can expect.

Each SSD controller Im using has a slightly different feel and/or throttle curve.

Im thinking should I just make a conversion chip for the Slot.it controller and take advantage of the hall sensor?

Phil reported some lane change misses however every lane change I tried worked for both test sessions. Im guessing 400/400. With Ninco chipped cars success rate of 95% for single LCs and around 80% success rate for XLC's isnt uncommon. So I can say now that the Ninco lane change glitch reported in various forums is actually chip related, but thats another story. Good to see Scorpius got it right

100% success rate on lap counting, car and throttle ID programming, and brake % adjust.

A great feature is the the abilty to use a combination of % adjustable dynamic braking and button braking at the same time. Quicker lap times without a doubt.

So Im really happy the gear turned upin the mail, even if it was 2 weeks late.

I think the glitches relating directly to Scorpius was just car 16 not being able to change lanes.

This puts us in a position where we are really confident the new Version II car chip will be very close during initial testing.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys,

Had a few findings.......

1) Someone must have pressed the LC button for more than 3 seconds while the cars were waiting on the start grid, result 3 cars were the same ID.

Of course our fix is the PIN code which will prevent this in future.

2)On setting throttle 11 ID I must have only pushed the LC button ten times then set the car ID, so hence it became ID 10, of course car 11 is now car 10. That mixed us up for a while.

3)On car was running rough, then smooth, John says it once again comes down to hand assembly borderline errors.

4)Noticed 2 throttles running rough, checked voltage of batteries, bit flat, so replaced and all ok. It may pay to install an on/off switch because during transit if the trigger gets moved it uses battery power. As they were packed a bit tight in transit I suspect this happenned. Then again those batteries are close to 3 months old and have had a fair ampunt of testing/useage.

5)Noticed a fair amount of failed lane changes with the Ninco LC's. This is because we were running on 11 and 12 volts rather than 16 as recomended by Ninco (we slowed it all down as there was 4 newbies, and another 4 approx semi newbies) This is aNinco problem, not a Scopius problem, so all is fine here.

6)Normal throttle glitches, need hall effect throttles.

Just another day glitch testing.

So what we learned from this testing session was

a)With such a tiny board we need robot assembly. However the oven will improve quality out of sight for low volume runs (25 or less).

b)Need on/off switch on throttle.

c)Need PIN code function

d)Need hall effect throttle to initiate cleaner signal.

This is what testing is all about. Its never been donbefore so its a whole new game to learn, and a lot of fun!

Thanks again PhilR for use of the track.

Next test session will be at my SSD track with the version II chips..

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 4 weeks later...

Read the report Rick ...... it's just getting better and better ........ looks like we might have another Aussie icon in the making ...... next thing you know the yanks will buy you out!

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Guys.

WE HAVE RECORD/PLAYBACK!

Already within days John has written the following software for Scorpius now Mr Dongle has arrived.

dongle.jpg

Dongle prototype works 100%, the finished product will be smaller of course.

Scorpius software programs:

Booter will allow you to reflash Scorpious & Throttle chips

CarDriver allows you to drive a car by PC control and to reprogram the car ID. This could also be useful to find out which ID a car is set to.

ThrotlleSetup allows you to change the throttle ID and dynamic braking

ThrotlleSnoop scans all 16 throtlle channels and tells you which are transmitting. Useful to ID the throttles or to see if any are transmitting continuously.

ThrottleTest - allows you see what a throttle is sending

ThrottleCapture - allows you to record what the throttle is transmitting and then play it back.

Yes we have record and playback already, but would like LB to finished to calibrate playback. Calibration will occur at each LC (LB) ensuring close to perfect playback. Now warming of motors will not affect end result as throtte manipulation will speed up (or slow down) car between each LC. So imagine a race, just you and a mate versus say 6 ghost cars going flat chat. You could record a real race when your mates are over and use that data as a basis to run ghost cars when theyre not there. You could edit out bad cars (cars that were de slotting all the time or any reason).

Another idea is to slow the car fractionally between reference points if the car deslots, the system can detect this automatically by the car not arriving at the next LC. So next time it passes through that area it will be a fraction slower, and its all done automatically. This could be used for auto track call too, as the system knows when a car hasnt arrived at the next LC.

Another idea is to take the fastest sectors from various laps to create a super fast time.

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic