Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

4 WAYS TO IMPLEMENT SCORPIUS

I get a lot of emails asking about the various ways to implement Scorpius.

All current systems are incompatible or inflexible. All or nothing.

Scorpius offers 3 or 4 ways to implement itself on 5 different systems! Depending on your own prefrences, the benefits are huge this way and are outlined as follows:

METHOD 1. POWER VIA ORIGINAL PB, USE PROPRIETRY AND/OR SCORPIUS CARS IN PROPRIETRY MODE (Eg Ninco , SSD etc)

(Power and data are still together, but Scorpius ignores data and uses the power from rails)

This involves racing a Scorpius chipped (in conjunction with a Scorpius chipped controller) on systems such as SSD, Ninco, Carrera, SCX, or Scorpius. The Scorpius chipped car will give out car ID to allow each systemvr lap recognition and give it the ability to change lanes on each system. Basically Scorpius ignores any data on rails and simply takes its power only from the rails. All data must be sent to the car directly wirelessly. Latest news any PB can be also converted to wireless OUT (IE data sent from PB to car wirelessly, not via rails.

Advantages over existing systems using this method:

3 amp rating. Example run 35K motors.

Lights on an F1 size chip (30 x 12mm)

Wireless control.

ID losses minimal or nil (no I.D. losses so far recorded)

Chip compatible to any existing digital system.

Brakes on analogue

This is handy if you have a whole heap of existing cars that are chipped to your particular proprietry brand but have deciced to go Scorpius.

The beauty of this is you can slowly change over or forever keep both. Theres many reasons for wanting to go Scorpius. And as people have different demands, bugets etc its good to know you can enter Scorpius at a low entry level and slowly work your way up with optional stage II and stage III and still use your existing system and chipped cars.

Example: You own SSD and own 50 SSD cars. Youve decided you like Scorpius. Dont want to make your SSD cars redundant, but cant see the point of investing any more money into SSD chips. This is my scenario. With this I can use SSD V SSD cars, Scorpius V Scorpius cars or SSD v Scopius cars. With the Scorpius cars in SSD mode it will register laps, change lanes, send times to PC and Lap Display. The only downside the car cant receive special instructions via rails like track call, pace cars etc (PB Pro). However you can convert any SSD powerbase (any possibly other brands) including PB Pro to wireless OUT (PB to cars). The same goes for any brand, not just SSD, I just used SSD as an example.

METHOD 2. DC ON RAILS, STILL USING EXISTNG PB TO RECEIVE CAR ID & TRANSFER DATA TO PC OR LAP DISPLAY, SCORPIUS CAR SET TO YOUR PROPRIETRY MODE

This would suit people who would require method 1 who want PB Pro functions, but want Scorpius power. (Scorpius offers the most power of any system, is simple and robust)

Use Scorpius chipped car and Scorpius chipped controller. Then disconnect power from PB to rails. Connect DC or AC PSU direct to rails.

The power and data are now completely seperated. Power is now limitless with no modifications to PB's! The PB can still detect lap times so PC and Lap Display can still be used.

METHOD 3. DC ON RAILS, STILL USING EXISTNG PB TO RECEIVE CAR ID & TRANSFER DATA TO PC OR LAP DISPLAY + ADDED FUNCTIONALITY OF ANY SSD PB, INCLUDING MODIFIED PB's LIKE PB PRO. SCORPIUS CAR SET TO SSD MODE

All the benefits of method 2 with the advantage of using any function on any SSD PB, modified or unmodified.

A Scorpius controller chip with specially written firmware converts data out signal to go direct to Scorpius chipped car (car in SSD mode) via wireless transmission..

METHOD 4. DEDICATED SCORPIUS, DC ON RAILS. SCORPIUS LANE BRAINS, SCORPIUS CARS SET TO SCORPIUS MODE

Here the entire system is Scorpius. The PB is totally eliminated. All components are wireless. Power is limitless. 16 cars can be used!

Lane Brain and PC dongle, both wireless, can be utilised (stage II) and used in conjunction with PCLapcouner, with specially written software for Scorpius available.

Stage III is a crucial addition for aux functions (Pace cars, track call, kiddies mode etc), however is not due for release until late 2008.

Each driver will be able to access functions from their own throttle using a screen and added buttons.

Hope this saves some confusion and answers some questions.

Cheers

Rick

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Scorpius wireless conversion of SSD Powerbase and PB PRO

Hi Guys.

Latest development SSD PB/Scorpius hybrid.

So you like PB Pro? You like its features, you just bought it, you love it, you want to keep it.

And you like Scorpius??

Hows both together sound?

Hows it work?

We are going wireless from PB to car, eliminating data off rails thus allowing DC only on rails for unlimited power direct from PSU.

The SSD controller to PB system remains untouched.

You use you current controllers (not wireless) and plug into the PB in the normal fashion.

Simply add a Scorpius chip to the inside of the PB or PBPro (or any SSD PB)

Firmware change, borrow 5V from Pro, reduce to 3V with zener diode (as per Richs suggestion).

Data signal from PB Pro (or standard PB) goes to Scorpius chip inside PB. Chip has powerful processor that can supply data to 6 Scorpius chipped cars set in SSD mode. Still trigger lap times, still change lanes, get a 3 amp rated chip and the other benefits of Scorpius. This way you can enjoy the features of PB Pro and slowly buld up your collection of scorpius chipped cars if you plan on purchasing a Scorpius system one day and not only get a system with unlimited power but get the benefit of a 3 amp F1 chip with light send and compatibility to 3 other brands should you decide in the future to buy a Scorpius controller chip and convert your controller to wireless.

This obviously doesnt suit everyones plans but it does give functionality. Keep in mind Scorpius stage III (screen, navigator button, functonality) is late 2008.

No batteries required.

No MS mod or Simple H mod to do.

You then only need a zener diode and a few pieces of wire.

3 wires are taken from the PB and soldered directly to Scorpius chip.

3V is added. Done.

Cheers

Rick

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hmm, dunno Rick

I've asked a few questions to Bryan Young, the USA SCX Tech, but reckons it wont be til later this year that even he'll get his hands on em... the same as the SCXD Starting Lights :mallet: I was in contact with him over a problem I was having with my SCXD Pit Lane which he helped me out with (sent a new piece of track from the US, free of charge)

So how about yours ? Do they need line of sight ?? Though the SCXD controller connections use simple RJ11 (ie telephone connectors), it would probably be possible to use a very short extension to lift em up a bit if the line of sight issue was a real problem. Who knows, you might even be able to extend it up to the roof/wall if you had a dedicated install

Edited by abs

Mines totally different, a much higher frequency, carries thousands of times more data.

Signal goes through brick walls, glass and plasterboard walls. You can go a room even two away and it still works.

99/100 chance it will be AM like Carrera, not really worth the effort. And the AM types eats batteries quickly where I get 1000 hours battery life.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Ok imagine ten V8 Supercars on a 70 metre 2 lane digital track (Ninco and SSD), 25K motors and as much power as you need (2 x 25 amp PSU's). Thats the likely scenario Sat March 1st at PJR Racing Finley NSW if all goes well in preliminary testing here in Sydney next week.

10 Scorpius chipped controllers and 10 Scorpius chipped cars, (using DC on rails) will be tested on Phils commercial track(s). All invited, action from around 8pm.

Having so far only tested 3 cars at once, this will be the first time Ive tested ten at once. Problems may occur but thats all part of developing.

Having said that John is very confident if it works with three it will work with 16 not a problem. Sounds promising and we shall see. Good or bad it will be the worlds first wireless (2.4GHz) digital slot car meet on a commercial track. Fingers crossed=)

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Rick

Great to see what is shaping up to be a super product. Spent last 2 days reading all the posts on both forums to catch up on your project.

Into the beginning when digital was about to hit the market i was all excited until I would read all the small print and realised it was still not what it could be.So I decide to wait it out until everyone got onto a universal platform.Thankfully it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head and matched our dreams with reality(well done).

Ok now for my question.What are the limits of running more then 1 Scorpius-wireless track in the same room? Would there be any problems in having 2 Scorpius dedicated tracks next to each other and running at the same time?

Cheers

Nulla

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

Hi Nulla,

Youd have 16 cars over the two tables, example say 8 on one, 8 on the other all with diferent car ID's. Also this system can be expanded to 26 channels in the future if ever needed. Actualy a good point Nulla, thanks for asking it.

Also with the Scorpius test See results off first Scorpius test here

Glad you like the project.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

G'day Rick

Thats how I guessed it would work which is no problem.16 cars between 2 tracks is more then enough to keep everyone busy.

Moving on what I was thinking about later was if you had 2 fully Dedicated Scorpius tracks using Lane Brain with a stage 2 or 3 setup on both.

Would the Lane Brain transmit a code/signal/address to state it as being used as part of eg.Track 1 to the PC and just ignore any info from a possible Track 2?So at the end of the day you could have Track 1 sending all its track info back to PC 1 and Track 2 sending all its info to PC 2,both happily ignoring the track conditions of the other track.Of course each car/controller could be assigned to either Track 1 or 2 for lapcounting. All this could mean is that Track 1 is default setting and I would need to go into a setup to change the setting to enable Track 2 to operate separately.

Sorry I know this is a bit further down the track and is a hypothetical scenario for now,but better to ask if can be done now rather then later.

Regards

Nulla

P.S. What do you think about a Rolling Start optional function for Stage 3 where there is like a 2 lap warm up(could start at -2 laps) and if you pass the pole car you are sent to the pits for a penalty?...lol

Why race on any old figure 8 track when you could be racing on a track designed to replicate a piece of Australian motorsport history like Oran Park Raceway.

Hi Nulla,

I just shot your question to John in an email, will post answer when I get it.

At present Lane Brains are on channel 27 so I assume we could put track 2's Lane Brains to channel 26, and while Im at it increase 16 channels to 24 and that would be 12 per track. And 2 seperate LB channels....will let you know. Anymore points just shoot, I like it.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

G'day Rick

Thats how I guessed it would work which is no problem.16 cars between 2 tracks is more then enough to keep everyone busy.

Moving on what I was thinking about later was if you had 2 fully Dedicated Scorpius tracks using Lane Brain with a stage 2 or 3 setup on both.

Would the Lane Brain transmit a code/signal/address to state it as being used as part of eg.Track 1 to the PC and just ignore any info from a possible Track 2?So at the end of the day you could have Track 1 sending all its track info back to PC 1 and Track 2 sending all its info to PC 2,both happily ignoring the track conditions of the other track.Of course each car/controller could be assigned to either Track 1 or 2 for lapcounting. All this could mean is that Track 1 is default setting and I would need to go into a setup to change the setting to enable Track 2 to operate separately.

Sorry I know this is a bit further down the track and is a hypothetical scenario for now,but better to ask if can be done now rather then later.

Regards

Nulla

P.S. What do you think about a Rolling Start optional function for Stage 3 where there is like a 2 lap warm up(could start at -2 laps) and if you pass the pole car you are sent to the pits for a penalty?...lol

Hi Nulla,

Answer from john

QUOTE Yes, we should be able to do this by assigning a different base channel to each group. Remember the spec....there will be 3 base channels. UNQUOTE.

Thanks again for the input.

Cheers

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

G'day

Thanks for confirming that for me Rick.Now all I need is space for 2 or 3 tracks and a box full of chips for all the cars and controllers....lol.

Next I guess I should start pricing the bits and pieces for a new digital track soon(My Scalextric sport has seen better days).Was thinking about a Carrera because of the longer LC's.

Anyone have a point of view they wish to share on the Carrera LC's?Not interested so much in the performance of the Digital 132 system because it maybe scraped at the start,but more so how well the track performers in digiatal form(Any info on any system you love or hate is welcome).

Regards Nulla

Sorry got a little off the topic last post. :)

G'day

Thanks for confirming that for me Rick.Now all I need is space for 2 or 3 tracks and a box full of chips for all the cars and controllers....lol.

Next I guess I should start pricing the bits and pieces for a new digital track soon(My Scalextric sport has seen better days).Was thinking about a Carrera because of the longer LC's.

Anyone have a point of view they wish to share on the Carrera LC's?Not interested so much in the performance of the Digital 132 system because it maybe scraped at the start,but more so how well the track performers in digiatal form(Any info on any system you love or hate is welcome).

Regards Nulla

Yer Carrera track and LCs rock, would be good with Scorpius. The Carrera chips are large and awkward. But good basis for a track. Ninco is good too but the XLC's only work 80% and the single LC's around 95%, a bit of a worry.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

G'day Rick

Carrera with a dedicated scorpius system sounds like what i'm after.

Have you put much thought into the functions or set-up of the pit stop lanes with LB?

Was thinking of a 2 lane pit and 4 lane track(for all those cars...lol).From what info I can find I know I am in for some rewiring to make the track work.

Regards

Nulla

Hi Nulla,

Yes the Lane Brain is designed especially for pits in mind, individual pit bay detection, speed limitation in pit lane etc.

Keep in mind the Lane Brain is for routed tracks and uses the 2 solenoid system, the Carrera system uses the one solenoid/spring method. So you dont need LB's at this stage=) Youd need to modify things.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Latest news, Ive decided to fast track the dongle(s), and the throttle. In fact we may use 2 dongles, one with a one metre transmission radius for changing car chip info close to the PC, and later a second one that goes with the Lane Brains with a 100 metre transmission range. Running on two seperate PC programs, it allows individuals to adjust car at docking station without affecting cars on track.

Example if the chip is installed in a yellow GT40 you enter the following:

1)Car ID...say 15

2)Car type ....GT40

3)Drivers Name...Pete

4)Livery number....#27

5)Colour ...yellow

6)Brake adjust % ...say 82%

7)Kiddie Mode %....nah gimme 100%

8)Traction control adjust %...later function not available yet.

9)Fuel amount comes up...refuel? Press yes. Can default to refuel every car ID. Or program never to run out of fuel.

10)Tyre % remaining comes up....new tyres? Press yes. Can default to new tyres every race. Or program never to run out of tyres.

You simply place car on docking station, go to Scorpius program, program all the above information and press "enter".

Most of the said goodies will only work with Lane Brain, but Car Id and brake % adjust, even kids mode can be achieved now. Of course you need the wireless Lane Brain to make the rest work.

The idea is the when he car crosses a lane Brain in warm up all the cars data, including drivers name is automatically entered into a race program, saving time and stress. So a typical scenario, you just open your RMS up, enter race type and number of laps, place cars on track, do warm up laps, program your race line as you go.(LB only), line up on grid, press start, away you go.

When? Depends on Johns workload. Soon though. John can work on this while cars are overseas being beta tested. Ill be sending those cars out on Tuesday March 25th. All beta testers should have their cars and throttles by late March, early April.

We are also planning a Scorpius dedicated throttle PCB that simply fits into a Parma controller complete with wiper board, vibrator and antenna. Fancy screen later if requested.

The dongle is relatively easy compared to the rest of the project and will accompany the car tuning software.

The docking station you can make yourself from a spare piece of track and a 12V supply AC or DC.

After the throttle board and PC software to program car its back to my favourite, the Lane Brain. Thens its complete. Sounds easy huh?(not). We may not even need a throttle screen.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

hi All,

Ok just got back from Finley.

We had 3 glitches in Ninco mode to get right

a)Problems changing lanes

b)problems with cars stopping

c)Problems with car showing ID

Second version of chip had the glitches nailed.

12 guys turned up. We had some nice racing and once again everyone was happy with the power and control.

We had one race with Ninco and Scorpius cars. Some Ninco cars were triggering accidental lane changing, however there was no reports of the Scorpius chipped cars doing this. The Ninco cars ran much hotter once again. The Ninco throttles have light switch type control, so Scorpius car/throttle combinations were 2 seconds per lap again! (on average) quicker purely because you have better control with the Scorpius chipped Parma (Petes) and SSD throttles.

However we picked up a couple of other glitches, two of the cars locked into full speed and some cars wouldnt accept ID easily. Reason: John suspects hand soldering so many PCB's opens us up for errors. Explains why most of the cars ran flawlessly.

John says its time to start using robots to assemble boards. However not cheap!!! as you have minimum production runs.

Also the components are wired together in rolls for robot use, usually in minimum order of 3000 units per component, and there are many components.

We will access situation Tuesday. thanks for reading.

Rick

www.scorpiuswireless.com

How many chips have you done and what ratio was the problem? Until it is a commercial viability does testing them first before sending out a possibility or do the problems take a while to show up?

Sounds promising anyway, good luck.

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic