Scorpius-wireless Digital Slot Car Project.

aussieslotter

This is because we are adding simulations to our existing RMS as follows:

KERS simulation, fuel tank weight simulation, car out of fuel simulation, tyre wear simulation, weather simulation, tyre type simulation, random events simulation, DRS simulation. I call this the throttle manipulation project. To do this we must route the throttle signal via the PC. We are working on this now.

Hey Rick this is somthing I've been thinking about on and off for years. I imagined crossing PlayStation and slot cars. Can you picture a teams event where while one guy drives the rest of the team sit around a laptop and monitor lap times, fuel load, tire wear and discuss race strategy. Adjust parameters on the pc and communicate to the driver about pit stops, aggressive throttle use and conserving fuel

I had a guy to do the software but never worked out the input/output interface to control lane voltages and the like

Scorpius would be perfect for this. Not only can you control each cars usable voltage to simulate heavy fuel loads and worn tyres but you could monitor throttle response to model fuel consumption where as I was only thinking about a lap time based system

There is so much potential with scorpius to create a cross between slot racing and racing simulators that the coding work could be massive, but if there was ever a man for the job it's you mate

Keep at it Rick

Keep it in the groove

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pete,

Well good news is we plan to add all these simulations to Race Coordinator once completed. Dave (Owner of Race Coordinator) is building a new track and has 3 wireless Scorpius controllers and 3 wireless analogue modules ready to go.

So signal wil go from controller to driver station wirelessly via PC or laptop to be manipulated as required.

So far were about half way through the simulations aspect. We have tyre wear and fuel tank wright simulation completed and will add tyre types, weather and random events. Each or all can be configured or even ignored.

Having a telemetry guy analysing fuel and tyres and proposing or changing tyre, fuel and pit strategies like 1:1 is completely possible as you mention. As you know a lot of 1:1 races are won and lost due to strategy.

Rick

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

New Scorpius app coming.

Its a first generation combination car controller/light controller/race management system all in one no PC required.

Works in conjunction with new Gen2 car decoder which will be a seperate post.

It includes a sliding trigger, (accelerator), lane change, speed limiter, full light control, a bank of 5 coloured warning lights, fuel gauge, tyre level, tacho (real tacho telemetry sent from car), lap time, best lap time, sounds, ghost car, programmable race line, events, simulations, ability to reconfigure any Scorpius product, ability to perform wireless firmware updates on any Scorpius product. Work will start soon. It will be a complex project and a nice little challenge.

I'll post as we go.

Rick

Scorpius%20Interface_zpsvzzptxg8.png

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Guys.

Finally I've had time to think about making a wireless light board not only for analogue but for digital too. Well since Scorpius released its Wireless Analogue system in 2013 we've technically had "digital analogue".

Here's one of the benefit spin offs, a wireless light board that runs on analogue in conjunction with the Scorpius Wireless controller and Scorpius Wireless WAM (Wireless Analog Module).

It also of course runs with the Scorpius system and the Scalextric digital system using APB C7042, Scorpius dongle and 1 of 4 SSD race management software packages. So you can use this anywhere you can use the Scorpius controller. It will also work on the recently proposed Scorpius Wireless Driver Interface which basically is a proposed advanced slot car controller and lap timer on your smart phone or tablet.

It also has a hidden chest of goodies for analogue drivers. Ability to have sector timing. Lap counting. Pit stop detection. Fuel using RC Co-Ordinator analogue race software. Ability to trigger lane change mechanism into pit lane or Joker lap using Scorpius Lane Brain. You will even be able to operate the WAM from your Smart Phone. Welcome to true "Digital Analogue" All the goodies of analogue and digital combined. Even simulations will be possible using this nifty piece of hardware. The Lane Brain who those who don't know is an electronic board that goes under your track that sends a unique ID continuously. When the car passes over a sensor installed the cars chassis picks up the ID and sends a change or don't change command to the flipper or gate as its sometimes known. This guides your car into your analogue pit bay....or onto your joker track. There is an AC function (Anti-Collsion), so you cant take a car out in a neighbouring lane when you crossover their lane heading towards your pits.

Wireless Analogue Lap Counter Compatible. The Light Board Plus will send a wireless lap count command every time it passes over the Start/Finish line. Simply install a Scorpius Lane Brain under the track. Will handle up to 8 lanes per Lane Brain! Must use RC C0-ordinator race software.

How does it work? Firstly you must have a Scorpius controller and dongle and if using analogue you will need the Scorpius WAM .

If you're using channel 4 on your WAM and Scorpius controller simply set the Light Board Plus to channel 4. Everything the WAM receives the Light Board Plus receives too. The light board ignores the motor drive signals and takes notice of the light command signals.

This is not fantasy its being developed ight now. It will be 26mm x 11 mm approximately.

Electronic specification: Runs on the new Nordic rNF 52810 combination processor/radio chip. Runs on nRF 2.4 GHz propriety (Eg Scorpius Wireless protocols) or Bluetooth. Runs on AC or DC. Can have lights reconfigured as low power, high power (ie Hi Beam) flahing or exhaust flame simulator pattern.

Runs on analogue tracks Runs on digital tracks (Scorpius and SSD C7042 and Scorpius dongle).

Board is sized just 20.3x12.3mm

Hardware:

Includes:

4 x LED pairs on 100 mm 28 AWG nickel plated copper fine strand wire.

2 x IR LEDs for Carrera and SSD compatibility on 100 mm leads.

1 x Photo diode on 100mm leads

Heatshrink left unshrunk for customising length on all.

Light specification: 4 lots of driver circuits to be used from the following 6 choices. So quite a few combinations depending on your requirements. The Scorpius App will allow you to configure the light board quickly and effortlessly using Bluetooth. Ie no cables or boxes.

i)Headlights. Low beam/high beam. Use voltage increase to see high beam. Colour Cool White. Or neons (cool to touch)

Circuit to drive 2 x LED

So low beam and hi-beam LED is same LED except difference is brightness.

ii)Tail lights/brake lights. Use voltage increase for brake brighter.

Colour red.

Circuit to drive 2 LEDs

So tail light is brake light except brighter.

iii)Flashing roof lights, output number 1 Colour: Deep Orange

Circuit to drive 2 x LEDs

iv)Flashing roof light, output number 2 Colour: Deep orange

Circuit to drive 2 x LED

The two lights ( iii and iv) light up alternatively. On period for each light.

0.25 sec.

Off period for each light 0.25 sec.

So while one pair (iii or iv) is on the other pair (iii or iv) is off.

And vice versa.

v) Exhaust flame simulator. Colour red. Works momentarily

(maximum on period 1.5 seconds) when car is braking

Circuit to drive 2 x LED

Rule: Controller must have been used for 2 seconds since last

time brake was automatically applied in order for

flame simulator to work.

vi) Spare or Cabin Light Led Colour white

Circuit to drive 2 x LED (Cool white)

Installation of Light Board Plus : Just 2 wires to braids and then install LEDs as required. Remove unwanted LEDs by cutting wire at board. Configure using app if required.

Development stage; Design complete. Specification complete. PCB design complete.

Photo: Showing side A and side B of Scorpius project 0079 "Light Boar Plus"

Rick Field

Scorpius Wireless

14C3CC65-1DFD-4C21-9A91-F1C7C9E9363E_zpskkerss1c.jpg

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Another world first. Wireless start lights.

This weekend we got stuck into the latest project, Scorpius Wireless start lights and RMS interface.

This new product will work with both Scorpius Wireless using Scorpius RMS and analogue systems using Race Coordinator.

John designed the PCB yesterday and wrote the BOM/CAM today. I already sent it off to the assembly house for 6 prototypes. Meanwhile Ive been thinking about RMS and App connectivity and screen artwork.

What is it? Its a custom wireless PCB with latest Nordic nRF52810 chip. It will run mostly on Scorpius propriety protocols but will be used in BLE (Bluetooth) mode to connect to the proposed new app. The app will also allow wireless updates.

Mounted to the new board will be a state of the art Nextion 4.3" HMI Intelligent Smart USART UART Serial Touch TFT Colour LCD module.

Use this to see the Start Lights. Click on screen once to activate/deactivate manual yellow flag. Click on screen twice to control RMS remotely, start, pause and stop races. Click on screen three times to configure screen choices for start lights.

The unit will store various images. Use any of the factory light settings, F1, DTM, Nascar, BTCC, Aussie V8s, Le Mans. Or design and upload your own.

The two units bolt together and will be mounted in your own creation or any number of screen enclosures online.

It will run on 8-16V track power or your own power supply.

Heres some pics of this big weekends effort including pre graphics layout.

Next is firmware...….We have 6 weeks until prototypes arrive maybe 7.

Rick

38648366-9463-428A-BC04-901EE549A277_zpsot3mrnfz.jpg

030B60E7-4601-43DE-817F-CF87AC6BDB9D_zpsinsyosqr.jpg

BED05694-6851-4ECE-B70F-15169466FBEA_zps0lijikec.jpg

6DD7E4D1-2AF2-4AD8-BCDC-1D866EA27AE6_zps1zhzwgaz.jpg

Edited by aussieslotter
  • Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Today, 08:21 AM

Hi Guys,

The first generation car chip released on July 1st 2011 is still the same chip after 8 years. Quite remarkable and could probably still go another 5 years.

However times change, new technology becomes available and customer requirements change.

So whats on the table?

Well were not quite sure yet. I have a pretty good idea. Im putting together a wish list of goodies.

1.Smallest chip. Under 375 sq mm.

2.SSD DPR hatch and plug compatible. Convert your Scalextric car in 60 seconds no soldering.

3.SSD native compatible. Use SSD powerbase, controllers and lane changers.

4.Carrera native compatible. Use Carrera black box, controllers and lane changers.

5.Oxigen hardware compatible. Can run, change lanes and detect magnet for lap counting. Send lap count info to Scorpius RMS. An option for existing

Oxigen users. Later if Oxigen are wiling to share protocols we can have a common standard. Uses SSD IDs 1-6.

5.Auto detect for various systems. Simply put car on rails. It figures out what system it is. No configuring using app or other methods.

6.Accelerometer. Used for what we hope will be the ultimate ghost car. Also used to detect rear end bumps and crash severity for RMS damage algorithm.

7.Switchable between nRF shockburst and Bluetooth. Place car on rails. Tap car 3 times on roof. Car converts to BLE for firmware upgrades,

reconfiguring and app driver control (Without dongle). Tap again to convert back to nRF (Scorpius protocols).

8.Hall sensor. Used for Oxigen compatibility and for car/motor tuning, ie detect exact RPM.

9. Back EMF detection. Used for traction control, current sensing, motor analysis.

10.Headlights and tail lights controlled from controller.

11.Analogue compatible using Scorpius WAM.

12. App connection.

13. Improved car telemetry. G force readings, back EMF etc.

14. Ability to send telemetry and lap counting information to Scorpius RMS while in SSD or Carrera native mode.

So were in the planning stages. Lots to think about.

Forum think tank open. Any requests or ideas please add here.

Rick

• Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Heres the preliminary layout. The light grey area is the DPR hatch, darker grey is the PCB.

You can see hall sensor and power in/out will be in JST plugs.

You can also see the SSD LED, Carrera LED and Scorpius photodiode. All 3 will ALSO be on flyleads.

Size 367.08 sq.mm. I've cantilevered the JST plugs over the board edge to save real estate.

I've just emailed this to John, lets see what he comes up with. Schematic arrives later today. Its going to be a huge ask to get everything, hall sensor pins, accelerometer, back EMF circuitry, track comm LEDs and photodiode with extra pins for flyleads, 2 light circuits etc on. Fingers crossed.

I''ve asked John to use every trick in the book to reduce size.

FC1E74B9-7D33-4124-805B-F8E321FDF8BB_zpssm1xs3tc.jpg[/url]

• Upvote 1

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Rick, that is some ask to fit all that on such a small board. An impressive endeavour.

Fitting it is easy, remembering which buttons do what is the hard bit :)

Quickly read this post before it is deleted or i turn grey again

Gary

http://www.facebook.com/Rallyproxy2017

Rick, that is some ask to fit all that on such a small board. An impressive endeavour.

I actually have designed a decoder PCB. And I found a much simpler one quite difficult to fit in the constraints I tried to design it in.

I can't even remember my age. What hope would I have.

I will wander over to Ricks one day and have a look

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• Vinno locked this topic
  • SlotsNZ unlocked this topic