17 replies to this topic

#1 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi

I'm thinking of opening an 8 lane slot car track in the Newcastle area. The track would run Flexis etc and maybe 1/32 scx, Scalies etc. Just woundering as to the domand for such as setup in the area. Any thoughts?

#2 slots

Looking for sanity

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:03 PM

There used to be a track Broadmeadow. It seemed to be doing well when ever I got up there until it burnt down. I'd stay away from the wing car set if you want it to keep it family friendly.
Stu

Old racers race harder

#3 terry

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

Yes please!

Don't know about flexis,for me they do it for me any longer,but 1/32 stuff,no problem,vintage slots9hard bodied stuff)??Id be up for that as well,any ides what part of town you would be doing this?

terry

be good to drag out the old girl for a runPosted Image

Edited by terry, 01 November 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#4 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:38 PM

View Postslots, on Nov 1 2007, 06:12 PM, said:

There used to be a track Broadmeadow. It seemed to be doing well when ever I got up there until it burnt down. I'd stay away from the wing car set if you want it to keep it family friendly.
The track a Broadmeadow was good, I raced there most Sunday nights. The thing that scares me about opening a new track is that the owners of the Broadmedow track didn't add a track to their new store, which makes me thing that it just isn't viable. I don't need to make money out of it but I do want it to pay for itself. If we found somewhere to rent for abouyt $200 per week and had about 30 racers turn up each week at $7.5 per race that would do it. So thats what I'm doing here, seeing if there is enough interest.

Stew

#5 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

View Postterry, on Nov 1 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

Yes please!

Don't know about flexis,for me they do it for me any longer,but 1/32 stuff,no problem,vintage slots9hard bodied stuff)??Id be up for that as well,any ides what part of town you would be doing this?

terry

Terry

Not too sure where or even if I will do the shop thing. But I am setting up a 4 lane Carrera track in my shed. It will be about 25 meters long with the longest streight about 5 meters. This will be in Cooks Hill. I will be looking for people to race, not to sure how often but probable once or twice a month. Are you interested?

Stew

#6 SlotsNZ

GP2 Driver

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:17 PM

Just a thought, or three.

If your primary motivation is to get a track up and running, and simply foster and get to enjoy some racing, maybe it's worth spending some time talking to the shop owners about why they didn't add a track, and how things might work between you, if you DID open a track.

If your primary motivation isn't to sell cars, then what you do in opening a track would be very, very good for THEIR business. It may be possible to get some underwriting, os sponsorship from them, a small slice of the GP of car sold to anyone who presents a members card from your raceway, OR, maybe open a "booth" shop under their auspices AT the track, and generate sales with a margin for you that way.

Either a percentage of sale value, or from them "renting" the space for the sales booth back from your raceway to help subsidise your track
Numbers wise, the smart money has to be in 1/32 RTR. It is accessible to newcomers, you can rent time with "indestructible" cars like Porsche Boxters, Audi TTs, maybe run a couple of tracks, say a plastic on for magged cars, and a flowing, more raceway style woody for the more serious racers.

Split between club nights, public raceway nights, corporate events etc, . . . . and there's probably 77 other ways to remove the skin from this particular feline as well.

And don't forget the "family factor" Have a sons and dads thing, maybe one weekend afternoon.

Edited by SlotsNZ, 02 November 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#7 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

SlotsNZ, thanks for the input.

I have often thought about the shops here opening a track, but have never bothered to actualy ask them about it. Maybe if people showed interest they may to it.

I agree it would be good for their businees if we aren't selling cars (thats not why I want to do it), so they may be interested in some sponsorship. The members presenting a card at the shop for a small kick back is good. I think if we are to sell cars at the track we would just sell them ourself though.

Stew

Ps anyone out there have any idea as to how many commercial tracks there are in Australia?

PPs How many people do these tracks get showing up to club racing?

#8 holden on

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:50 PM

View PostSlotsLots, on Nov 1 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

Hi

I'm thinking of opening an 8 lane slot car track in the Newcastle area. The track would run Flexis etc and maybe 1/32 scx, Scalies etc. Just woundering as to the domand for such as setup in the area. Any thoughts?
Hi
I would be interested in racing 1/24 scale if new track was to open
Terry

#9 Matticus

Capable of getting even the simplest tasks horribly wrong.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

There's about 15 or 20 people turn up at Armchair every other Tuesday. $10 including pizza for an evening out. Bargain.
Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreens.
Avusring Gallery | Avusring Track Thread

#10 JDT63

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

Slotshop gets about 15 each Wednesday night. $5 for the night. A night out really doesn't get any cheaper than that. Saturday arvo gets about 20 so I'm told again for $5.
JT

#11 Sports Racer

V8 Fujitsu Series Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

Have a look at the posts about the track at Hornsby Slot Cars. They run races on Saturday night open to cars that they sell (or similar models bought elsewhere). Supposedly very popular with up to 40 entries, a lot of them father/son(s).

Might be worthwhile you making the trip down south one Saturday night.

Cheers

Paul
May the Downforce be with you

#12 westyxr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

View PostSlotsLots, on Nov 2 2007, 03:51 PM, said:

Yes please!

terry

Terry

Not too sure where or even if I will do the shop thing. But I am setting up a 4 lane Carrera track in my shed. It will be about 25 meters long with the longest streight about 5 meters. This will be in Cooks Hill. I will be looking for people to race, not to sure how often but probable once or twice a month. Are you interested?

Stew

#13 westyxr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:08 PM

View PostSlotsLots, on Nov 1 2007, 12:41 PM, said:

Hi

please please please do I will support you, I have being looking to do the same, I have a four lane scally in garage at mayfield and would be happy to start a new group if anybody wants to have meeting at my place there is quiet of few guys who race down in the central coast at petes place who I think has built another track in wyong ??? they have tracks in there homes Mate give me a ring on 0416225775 I am on annual leave at the moment and we can talk I am sure Terry will support you as well cheers Westy Terry is also my name

#14 westyxr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

View PostSlotsLots, on Nov 2 2007, 03:51 PM, said:

Yes please!

terry

Terry

Stew
Hey Stew please mate build your track I have a 4 lane scally which does not get much use and would love to heip your set it up in anyway I can and hopefully set up another group of racers yeah Iam in Mayfield Westy 0416225775

#15 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

Westy

Things are comming along at the mement. Pete from Area3 is getting me somemore track at a good price, I have the 4 lap computer timer from trackmate. I haven't started building the table as yet, I need someone to pick up some stuff from my shed to make room, they won it on ebay about 3 weeks ago but still haven't collected it. Once I get the tables built I will get the required extra track and hi power variable transformer. I hope to have it all set up by Feb next year, sooner would be good but I'm very busy between now and then.

Is your track setup? Maybe I can come round for a run?

Stew

#16 westyxr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:47 PM

View PostSlotsLots, on Nov 27 2007, 03:50 PM, said:

Westy

Things are comming along at the mement. Pete from Area3 is getting me somemore track at a good price, I have the 4 lap computer timer from trackmate. I haven't started building the table as yet, I need someone to pick up some stuff from my shed to make room, they won it on ebay about 3 weeks ago but still haven't collected it. Once I get the tables built I will get the required extra track and hi power variable transformer. I hope to have it all set up by Feb next year, sooner would be good but I'm very busy between now and then.

Is your track setup? Maybe I can come round for a run?

Stew Mate its in the roof at the moment it take 2 minutes to set it up would be happy for you to turn up and have run, ring me on mobil 0416225775 and check if i am at home looking forward to seeing you cheers Westy

#17 SlotsLots

Video Game Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

Westy

I will give you a ring next week, flat out this week and all weekend. Will try to make a time weekend after this one. Do you know of many others that would be interested in racing about once a month? 6 - 8 people would be good. So far there has been interest from 3 in the Newcastle area, all named Terry. There is you/Terry/Westxr8, Terry/Holden On and Terry/Terry, there seems to be a connection between the name Terry and slot cars.

Stew

#18 westyxr8

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

there is 2 fellows up in largs that might be interested will enquire with them soon and there is another guy at woodbury he has a scally classic 2 lane track very good one too will try to get in contact with them and see if they are interested cheers westy (mate let me know if you need any help in setting up your track)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users