Viper Valley Raceway

Shane Lott

Hello All,

Just wanted to post a few pics of my 4 lane track that has electronic switching pits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes for super realistic racing and having matched the track with customised controllers that inlcude the switcing mechanisms for pit access and Ultimate Racer 3.0 control software complete with fuel racing and power control, the whole racing experience is fantastic with power cut off per lane if you don't pit to refuel.

Through UR30, all cars have an individual file with fuel usage set up and practice/race stats. AWESOME!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pics and I look forward to any comments.

Regards,

Shane

A01.jpg

From Race Control End toward The Cutting

A04.jpg

From The Cutting End looking over toward The Pits

A05.jpg

View over The Pits

A06.jpg

Aussie V8's in Pit Lane

A07.jpg

V8's on the Start/Finish Line

A08.jpg

Into the "Squeeze!"

A010.jpg

Down through The Cutting

A011.jpg

2 into The Pits & 2 onto The Main Straight

A017.jpg

Parma Controller showing "custom" tunable brake & pit access button (Left & Right depending on track direction)

A018.jpg

Customised splash screen in Ultimate Racer 3.0 race control software

A020.jpg

Drivers, Start your engines!!!!!!

A021.jpg

Customised Race Screen

A025.jpg

Pit NOW 4 Refuel! - Splash & Dash IF YOU DARE!!!! :-)

A027.jpg

Don't overshoot the Grid!!!

A028.jpg

In & Out in under 10 Seconds? - GO, GO, GO!

A033.jpg

All the stats are on the Big Screen!!!!

A029.jpg

Race Control on WinXP & Ultimate Racer 3.0, real fuel racing with power control per lane.

A034.jpg

"part" of the growing garage!!!

A035.jpg

2 of the best duel it out!!!!!

Comments welcome

One can never have too many slotcars!!

Email Me

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

...Click HERE to visit my Viper Valley forum thread...

Hey Shane what an great setup, Looks like some tight racing around those corners and love the pits. THe Mad Max coupe reminded me of seeing a replica outside the silverton pub just outside of Broken Hill, I was wanting one for my own track! Thanks for sharing the pics Good to see another 4 lane track here in Melbourne.

Edited by Rob

Regards

Rob

Very very nice Shane.

Can you tell me a couple of things. FIrstly, how did you construct your flippers, and, on the picture with the power supply, what are the do-dangs underneath the keyboard for?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Shane,

Your track is insane..... looks like a lot of fun to drive!

Glen Waverley eh? We need to run a V32 race at your place... :blink:

cheers

bry

I am looking to run a "test" session soon so it's a possibility!!! - When were you thinking of??

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Hey Shane what an great setup, Looks like some tight racing around those corners and love the pits. THe Mad Max coupe reminded me of seeing a replica outside the silverton pub just outside of Broken Hill, I was wanting one for my own track! Thanks for sharing the pics Good to see another 4 lane track here in Melbourne.

Thanks for the comments! :blink:

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Very very nice Shane.

Can you tell me a couple of things. FIrstly, how did you construct your flippers, and, on the picture with the power supply, what are the do-dangs underneath the keyboard for?

Lane changers are cut from perspex (plexiglass) to fit the wedge removed when routing and are operated via modified 24V (Automotive) Horn relays (avail from Jaycar). Each runs to the same power supply with operation via the momentary contact switch (push button) mounted onto the hand ctroller (jiffy box - Jaycar again).

The do-dangs are 2 x switches (on/off) for the PC and power suppley, track lights (for night and Le Manns events) and the power supply itself.

Hope this answers your queries - :blink:

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Shane,

Your track is insane..... looks like a lot of fun to drive!

Glen Waverley eh? We need to run a V32 race at your place... :blink:

cheers

bry

I am looking to run a "test" session soon so it's a possibility!!! - When were you thinking of??

Whenever you like mate! Drop me a PM...

This track is INSANE!, good job mate...

Did you make that program all by yourself??

Jake

Hi Jake,

Program is a freeware called Ultimate Racer 3.0 (UR30) available from http://www.uracerweb.org/index.htm and is one if not the best MS windows based race and car control package around.

Regards

Shane

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

You've obviously gone to a lot of trouble! It'd be a shame not to have a run on this one!

Nice use of the old ear plugs!!!

Thanks for your comments Knoath!

I toyed with the idea of painting the 'plugs' (btw, all are 'new'!) a cement grey or white however, after a 'couple' of hits with the odd livery, thought better of wasting the paint!

Hot glued down they are similar to the foldover sign posts that we don't want to hit with our 1:1 road cars!!!! meaning they spring back from 'collisions'!! :lol:

Regards,

Shane :lol:

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Far out, thats pretty good use with the software.

I see its through the parallel port, not bad, I was thinking serial but you get more pins with parallel so more options.

What I really want to know is this 'flipper/plastic perspex' design.

How does the flipper actually move.

I understand using a switch/parallel port which turns on a relay to flick the flipper, but how does it move/flip?

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by lefty

I see its through the parallel port, not bad, I was thinking serial but you get more pins with parallel so more options.

I understand using a switch/parallel port which turns on a relay to flick the flipper, but how does it move/flip?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I'll get some images up asap for you, quite simply, the relay has been modified with a wire arm that pokes up through the 'flipper' and when the 'pit' button on the controller is pressed and held, the flipper turns in to the pits.

When the button is released, the pits close and racing is resumed!

All circuitry is LV (low voltage x 12V for switching and with a momentry contact only when switch is held down, the 24V horn relay will not burn out!!!!!!!

Regards,

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Great looking track looks like a scream to drive/race

It sure is!

With a full on fuel race you can program for 100 laps and refuel every 20, with V8's the refuelling becomes very tactical especially when it comes down to the wire and a splash 'n' dash can mean the difference between a podium finish and heartbreak!!!! :lol:

Regards,

Shane

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Hi Chris,

I'll get some images up asap for you, quite simply, the relay has been modified with a wire arm that pokes up through the 'flipper' and when the 'pit' button on the controller is pressed and held, the flipper turns in to the pits.

When the button is released, the pits close and racing is resumed!

All circuitry is LV (low voltage x 12V for switching and with a momentry contact only when switch is held down, the 24V horn relay will not burn out!!!!!!!

Regards,

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up.

So I assume either hooked up like this?

12V -> Switch -> Relay -> Ground to turn the relay on

Then you are using the actual relay (Like a SPST relay) which would switch from normally open to closed position and somehow modifing that arm to the flipper, crazy stuff, makes sense. Pic's would be great, i thought that would be hard to do.

Also, do you have this setup on the exit of the pits or no need because the cars will always go around the bend fine correct? (actually lol the cars wont go backwards into the pits, so proberly a silly question :S)

Edited by lefty

Your setup is ken unreal Shane.

The whole pit thing you got happenen through the software is fantastic so therefore i got few questions

for you because its just what ive been after for my track.

I have pits on my track but are of limited use due to the fact that ive no way to control there use other than

to enter /stop/exit. I use SRM timing software which is great but lacks the pitting feature. Ive thought of a few

ways to control the pit stops from the use of 555 timer circuits driving power cut off relays to counting to ten

then driving off but having what you have there is definitely the way to go.

So could you please tell how fast is the pc your using as the UR30 site states you need to build the "enhanced

slotcar sensor"for slower pc's.

Also im assuming that the pit bay sensors you have are assigned to an output in the hardware manager as i

could not find any details about this on the site (it s probably there but it 12.30am and vision getten blurry)

Last question.Where did you get the body for mad max.I must have, Looks friggin awesome

Thanks Shane.

THC

Vision must of been very blurry.

Found a link off UR30 site to everybodies favourite american forum SCI.(maybe not 68s) :alcohol:

It has a dedicated forum for UR30 with loads of info , diagrams etc

Looks like it will be easier to set up than SRM was.

THC

Edited by thc

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Please see the following updates on the "flippers" as requested.

Relay01.jpg

Pic1 - Relay with cutaway view

Relay02.jpg

Pic2 - Relay with control arm

Relay03.jpg

Pic 3 - View of Lane Gate from above track

Hope these are informative Chris.

Feel free to PM me if you require any further info

Shane B)

BannerLinkLogo.jpg

Vision must of been very blurry.

Found a link off UR30 site to everybodies favourite american forum SCI.(maybe not 68s) :D

It has a dedicated forum for UR30 with loads of info , diagrams etc

Looks like it will be easier to set up than SRM was.

THC

Hi THC,

Please see my recently posted images and note that within the UR30 race control the fule drops to a level where a Pit Now 4 Refuel notification come up on screen. Activating the pit Lane Gate, the car pits over the sensor where "refuelling" occurs at a preset timing (12 seconds) and when tank show full. Go GO GO!!!!!!!

Regards,

Shane B)

BannerLinkLogo.jpg