Dead Strip Wiring

pt59

Hi Guys, I need help, I have just finished my first 'Jigsawed' MDF track, Done in the 'AC2CAR' style of lane layout, I will post Pics soon, But I need to get some lap timing happening, I was running Yascart through a Scaley RMS interface, But now I would like to run Dead strips as each lane passes the start and finish on both sides of the track, Can anybody explain How to hook up dead strips to a computer???

well I didn't have any lucky with dead strips so I went this way , well I was going to show you but Ican't insert a image

I have tried using the scaley RMS unit, wiring dead strips instead of the mechanical switches in the track piece, But I think I may have fried the circuit as one lane is showing a 'dead short' now and does not work anymore,

Maybe reed switches might be the go, If so How do I wire up those???

Thanks for the reply gyprock

Hi guys,

I to am in the same vote as pt59. I am in the process of adding computer timing.

Gyprock - That diagram is very helpful. Thanks. One question though, Where do you place the Phototransistors. Does it matter where on the track.

Also as pt59 says in his first post does anyone have any wiring diagrams for dead strip timing

Thanks

Greg

Edited by MOPARDEVIL

Thanks

Greg

Hi guys,

I to am in the same vote as pt59. I am in the process of adding computer timing.

Gyprock - That diagram is very helpful. Thanks. One question though, Where do you place the Phototransistors. Does it matter where on the track.

Also as pt59 says in his first post does anyone have any wiring diagrams for dead strip timing

Thanks

Greg

hi,look up lapscorer 2000 on google search and you will find all you need,i have just finishrd wiring up my photo sensors,you place them in your slot from underneath make sure they dont enter slot or you will damage them with car blade,i used infra red leds as light source ,check web site is very very helpfull,oh and mine even works. :lol:

Hi guys,

Thanks

Greg

hi,look up lapscorer 2000 on google search and you will find all you need,i have just finishrd wiring up my photo sensors,you place them in your slot from underneath make sure they dont enter slot or you will damage them with car blade,i used infra red leds as light source ,check web site is very very helpfull,oh and mine even works. :ph34r:

Thanks for the input guys, The problem is with photo sensors they would be triggered by the car in the next lane, as you can see if you have a look at the album, click on the link and check it out,

http://picasaweb.google.com/jupanaho/SlotCarUploadable

I must be missing something here :ph34r:

How will the car in the next lane trigger the sensors IF they are IN the slot?

Phil

Check out this link to my pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/jupanaho/SlotCarUploadable

You will see that the lanes are very close together which means eg Part of car 'A' will pass over car 'B's' slot thus shutting off the light to car 'B' sensor,

I am thinking maybe I could set it up so that lap timing is only recorded every second lap and set two sensors just far enough apart so a car will not trigger the wrong sensor! That is why I think 'Mechanical' switches are better for this type of lane layout, Another option may be to Cut a new piece of track and spread the lanes further apart for the start line?

Edited by pt59

If you use IR sensors and transmitters in one piece that sense ACROSS the slot they will work.

product_3109.jpg

Like this Photo interuptor.

Do you have a part number or any other info for setting that sensor up in a track Phil ? Also do you know if it has the sensor eye set low or high , Im wondering how it would go if the slot guide blade is only in the slot by 6mm or maybe even a little less ( SCX flag as an example).

If you use IR sensors and transmitters in one piece that sense ACROSS the slot they will work.

product_3109.jpg

Like this Photo interuptor.

That looks like a very good Idea, I will see if I can get hold of some, What other components would I need in the interface circuit?

Here is a link to UK site that may help a bit with dead strips.

:D

Thanks for that, I have now got one lane working using the single sided dead strip via my Scaley RMS interface, Just need to get another circuit board to replace the one I fried with the first dead strip attempt over both rails of the lane,

Sorry not much more help,I have only used these on a commercial drag track some year ago. I do know that they are from Jaycar and the CAT. NO. ZD1901. The spec sheet is on their site. I drilled two holes down thu the track and opened up the sides of the slot then mounted the sensor from below. It worked fine on the Flashtrack system that we used at the time. They are only $5.00 so worth getting one and trying.

I think some here on the forum was playing with them at some time.

Phil

Sorry not much more help,I have only used these on a commercial drag track some year ago. I do know that they are from Jaycar and the CAT. NO. ZD1901. The spec sheet is on their site. I drilled two holes down thu the track and opened up the sides of the slot then mounted the sensor from below. It worked fine on the Flashtrack system that we used at the time. They are only $5.00 so worth getting one and trying.

Phil

Thanks phil i will see if I can find some and try them out,

Phil

Thanks phil i will see if I can find some and try them out,

Hey pt59 if you get a bit more info on setting up the sensor and the other bits n pieces to make it talk to the computer can you pass the info along to me please

Hey pt59 if you get a bit more info on setting up the sensor and the other bits n pieces to make it talk to the computer can you pass the info along to me please

Why not post it here? B)

This question comes up fairly often, and it would be good to see all the steps and materials in one place.

Steve K.

Why not post it here? B)

This question comes up fairly often, and it would be good to see all the steps and materials in one place.

This drawing was done today but the brains behind it is Rick1776 .....Thanks Rick

th_LEDtracksensorJPEG.jpg

Edited by BMR

Nice drawing Steve!!

Just a little addon bit. The sensor has a arrow symbol with a bar across it on one side indicating which LED leg is which. Connect the 120 ohm resistor to the blunt end of the arrow. The other side has a dot on it. The dot indicates the collector leg of the transistor pick up. The 100 ohms is connected to the "dot" leg.

This set up assumes that the software wants to see a 0V to 5V pulse as the car's flag goes through the sensor. I have not built and tested this circuit but built one from individual components and it switched OK.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776

B)

Nice drawing Steve!!

Just a little addon bit. The sensor has a arrow symbol with a bar across it on one side indicating which LED leg is which. Connect the 120 ohm resistor to the blunt end of the arrow. The other side has a dot on it. The dot indicates the collector leg of the transistor pick up. The 100 ohms is connected to the "dot" leg.

This set up assumes that the software wants to see a 0V to 5V pulse as the car's flag goes through the sensor. I have not built and tested this circuit but built one from individual components and it switched OK.

cheers

rick1776

:D I just draw pictures .......! :)

Why not post it here? :(

This drawing was done today but the brains behind it is Rick1776 .....Thanks Rick

th_LEDtracksensorJPEG.jpg

This looks like it could be the way to go, Thanks everybody for some excellent responses, I will let you know how I get on.

Now if you'd only tell me why your cars are always 0.3s quicker than mine Id be happy. If you tell me its driver skill Im gonna be :(

cheers

rick1776

:huh2: I just draw pictures ..........and stay away from fences :lol:

Edited by BMR