Sign in to follow this  
orangepicker

Paint Removal

a few years back ,a mate told me to use an oven cleaner to rmove paint on one of my fly cars.

geeze ,it did work pretty well.tampo and all were removed overnight..

problem is the wife took the can away to use for the oven .

i can't recall which brand was it

i tried mr muscle,no go.selleys too expensive still no go.and two others.

would anyone know what sort of oven cleaner it is?

this is driving me nuts because coles has only 4 brands on the shelf.

tampo paint won't come off easily but that particular oven cleaner did a good job.

i am trying to repaint a fly car to build ,for commercial racing.

i am using a schoeller chassis .

photos to come .

I haven't tried this personally but this link was recommended on one of the boards a while ago.

BSA Paint strippers

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

I like to use a water down cutting compound,automotive car polish to remove tampo printing it does not damage the body & leaves a smooth finish.

regards bo ;)

;) I have had to strip a couple of badly painted cars and I find plain old caustic soda works very well, but don't get it on any thing else particularly skin and chromed plastic.

I agree with 32's finding regarding bi-carb soda. It seems to be the safest and very effective at removing old paint from the cars body work without harming the plastic in anyway but be careful with it around the chrome stuff. But to remove the old tampo printing I am not so sure if it will do that sort of work.

Tampo inks differ betweeh manufactureres. I have found that very fine steel wool ( 000 ) and metho will get gid of the tampo and if you are carefull enough the paint will be O/K. For sripping Enamel or model Acrilyc paint and caustic based oven cleaner will work,I still use diluted caustic in a container and dip the whole body a few minutes, no crome or glass,as it strips the chrome very easily. Great on Ninco wire wheels so you can paint them silver for that original look.

The caustic will not strip Automotive paint.

Phil

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg