39 Chev 1/24

Roland

Howdy guys,

I'd like to share a pic and a tale with you about my 39 Chev Delivery Sedan.

ss39chev.jpg

The pic is how the car is untouched after the Pre War Enduro Sedan race earlier this year in Adelaide at AMR. Complete with rubber dust due to the feradore track surface (course roof paint).

Bill and John knew I was going over for the Clipsal 500 in advance, so they organised race for us all.

39chevgridside.jpg

It was meant to be a partnered enduro, but my race partner didn't show.

As usual I finished building the car 3 hours before the race and hadn't ever driven it.

The Plafit Cheetah powered MJK chassis with AMR rubber tyres had been used before as a FJ Holden, but was now sans the side pans. The chassis was always a mid to rear fielder here in Sydney.

I did my usual rubber mounts, the car has realistic sprung body roll and I also built in front dive ability as I'm a bit of a late braker...

Even tho I'm a welder by trade I didn't have the right materials to solder a motor to a stainless chassis, so I super glued it in.

Pre race practice looked good till the car stopped dead after axle tramping onto the short back straight. The motor fell out due to the shock loadings. Brilliant!

Super glued it back in and then hot glued over that to absorb the shock.

Races at AMR aren't timed, they run a 60's lap counter on a dead strip, so brackets were first one to 80 laps.

I surprised myself by gaining an early lead and when getting close to lapping the field in the first bracket the car stopped dead again on the same part of the track. Imagine what I was thinking...

What had happened tho was the gears lost mesh due to the new motor, gears and bearings bedding in. A quick remesh and 8 laps down on the leader at the end of the first bracket.

Don't have the lap chart here with me, but by mid race and with burning watering eyes I had an 11 lap lead (more arse than class) and then my tired eyes started giving out and 2nd place started unlapping himself.

I lost 6 laps in the last braket (driver loosing the plot) to come home the winner 613 laps to 612. I actually thought I had lost the race.

Cheers for now

Roland