Sign in to follow this  
Matticus

Power Supply Problems

I'm having a few probs with power. I can run 1 lane without a problem, but the standard Scalextric Sport power base just can't handle both lanes at the same time.

Some of the guys have mentioned getting a variable power supply from Dick Smiths for about $200, or simply running another power base for the second lane. To be honest I think the Dick Smiths option is the better one, but I have a few questions as I'm a bit of a nonce when it comes to electrical stuff.

Firstly, in terms of connecting it to the track, how does that all work? I'm guessing I'd need to solder it, in which case the practice will get more expensive as I don't have a soldering iron. I should probably get one just incase though, all those running repairs etc.

Secondly, controllers. How to they attach? I'm presuming I'd have to get new ones, something I'd like to do regardless as I don't think the Scalextric Sports are the most comfotable to use on earth.

Cheers blokes!

Beauty.

Hey Matt,

A second transformer will fix the problem but the variable supply is the way to go.

It all does come at a price though I'd be inclined to get different controllers first ,Professor Motors are the best.

Once you start upgrading its hard to stop although every bit makes a noticable difference.

If you want to check out the difference first hand give me a call!

Cheers Geoff.

PS. As I said before I have another transformer you can use to see the difference the 2nd supply makes but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the Dick Smith supply takes it to another level.

Variable power will make those beautifully fragile vintage F1s behave themselves.

Edited by tooter

Hi,

The second transformer to the other lane will give you power, but the DS variable supply will make your track tunable as you can increase / decrease the power depending on cars, drivers etc. The better Option in the long run. Once you upgrade the power, you will really notice how much better your track is with better controllers as well. I tend to think my old stock controllers and power supply together hid the fact that each of them were pretty crap. Upgrade 1 or the other and you'll only end up more disapointed with whichever one you keep. Of course, not everyone can afford to buy everything they want in one hit, so upgrading the power first will at least giveyou 2 lanes to play on.

As for the soldering, irons good enough for this kind of work are pretty cheap (e.g. 15 dollars and under) and flux is only a couple of dollars as well. Use a test piece of track first so you get a feel for soldering the wires to the track. I soldered flux to both rails of each lane first, then soldered some to the wires BEFORE soldering the wires and track to each other. Thus reduces the amount of heat applied to the track rails to avoid buckling or melting the plastic.

It's easy to do (I had never soldered before either) and was a very satisfying job when I could drive on my track again after a long lay-off.

Cheers,

Steve

I have a little play money each month that should be enough to get them both in one hit. I think the variable unit is probably the way to go, and upgrading the controllers.

The first thing is to get the track onto the board, then I'll start worrying about getting the second lane going. I'm happy enough to race solo for the moment, I just want the thing on the board so I can put the car back in the garage!

Once that's done, next step is addressing the power. Thanks for your words of wisdom guys!

Beauty.

Hi Mattius

First of all i must say go buy a soldering iron.. u want about a 25 to 40 watt iron... i got a 30watt iron @ bunnings on wedensday for $7!... and a roll of resin core solder (i think thats wot its called... ive always got my rolls thanks to work ;) and worry about flux when/if u ever need it. Next get some old wire or buy a metre of cheap stuff and cut it in to different lengths and practice by rejoining it all!!

As you are not confident yet with a soldering iron the easiest way to hook up the DS3800 power supply and the controllers would be to get a SCX power base, 2 classic to sport track adaptors. Remove the sport power base and replace with the SCX power base and adaptors and just use aligator clips on the power leads to the post in the SCX base or if u buy a cheap set...for the cars ;)... just cut the plug off the SCX wall wart and solder to the power leads.

Buy controllers with clips on the ends and not with the sport plug and they simply clip on to the post on the SCX power base... tho u have to connect them to the correct post... i'll get u the pin outs if u want... let me know... or now u can solder "a bit" u can solder a 3.5mm 3way female plug to the controller post in the base like im doing...soon... lol

Once you upgrade to any variable P/S u will no longer be able to use the Sport power base as it is designed for an AC voltage input not DC which variable P/S like the DS3800 and other brand power suplies output. Unfortunatly its not just a matter of soldering the new P/S to the track :( I found this out the hardway myself when i went to attach my unknown brand variable P/S i picked up cheap from a trash n treasure market stall to the sport base and then had the expense ...start at $20+ for components per station depending on plugs u use... and hassle of making up the driver stations. it all got too much and i shelfed the whole lot for a few months and it wasnt till i bourght a SCX set on the cheap for the rally cars that i realised the SCX power track was the answer!

Altho i dont have the DS3800 with the truckloads of AMPS it puts out, my P/S can push out 5 amps, and with only running 1/32 i had no problems with the SCX power base setup like this.

Having not read the post on your layout im guessing u are attaching the track to the board so u can stand it out of the way when not in use???? if so think llong n hard about the power situ BEFORE u glue/nail/screw and track to the board so u not have to go pulling up track at a later date

Just quickly re controllers i love my Professor Motor controller so i highly recommend them!

Hope this helps

I had a look at Tooter's set up this evening and I think that's the way I'll go. He's got the variable PSU with some sweet ass controllers going on, it's the business and didn't look that complicated :(

As for how I'm going to attach the power- I'm thinking I'll probably run a couple wires from the track with alligator clips or somesuch on the end. I can then clip them into the PSU and attach the controllers and happy days.

I'll work it out. I bought some of the Scaley clips today so we'll see what happens. Getting the thing on a baord is a while off yet; I've got a couple broken ribs so I'm not exerting myself too much.

Beauty.

How are you going to mount the track to the board? You mentioned putting it on a board so you can get the car in the garage so I presume the board is going to be stored on it's side. You need to allow for track expansion and contraction with the changes in the weather so make sure the track has some flex - ie don't nail down every piece.

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

I've purchased some of the Scaley track clips which I'll be using. I don't want to stick it all down for the above reasons, so we'll see how they go. At $9 for 50 it's not going to break the bank.

Beauty.