Down Under Proxy Race Series 2007-Rnd 9

kalbfellp

Wet: Stratton Valley was the TBN track,we changed the location because the owner is off the Queensland next week. The final round will be here at Shelmore Park.

BMR: Different tracks different tyres dominate. Last year Slot Its seemed to be in favour. This year NSR,Slot It's and MJK.

List of the entrants cars details can be found at:

Down Under Proxy

I think a control tyre would just take more interest out of the series.

This series caters for plastic chassis's with limited mods and that is what helps make it a great series.

Phil

Without going back and looking at all the past posts I would like to see if there was a dominant tyre in amongst the cars and venture to suggest it should become a control tyre for next years racers.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I thought the idea of a control tyre was laid to rest awhile back in an earlier thread when we were looking at suggestions for next year's series.

This series caters for plastic chassis's with limited mods and that is what helps make it a great series.

Phil

Phil, I couldn't agree more. The success of a series like this is highly dependant on the element of surprise and/or the unknown - and the introduction of a standard tyre will remove any expectation of an upset once the first couple of rounds have been run and the performances of the cars are known. The interest generated by the varying fortunes of the cars has been instrumental in keeping everyone glued to their PC monitors throughout the series. There were cars that were light and overpowered, some were a little heavier but under-powered whilst there were still others which were heavyweights but had tons of grunt - and the performance (or not) of all these cars were highly dependant on the choice of tyres fitted to them by the entrants before the start of the series. With the races conducted on a variety of track configurations having different track surfaces, a car that was an also-ran on one track could unexpectedly turn out to be a winner on another. And, for me (and perhaps some of the other entrants as well), this has been the fun part and excitement of following the racing - not knowing whether my car will perform like a rocket or a pig from one track to another. But if we were to introduce a "control tyre", this element of uncertainty in performance will be removed and the handling of all the cars will remain unchanged on all the tracks, relative to each other and any expectation of excitement goes out the window.

So I say - let the choice of tyres be free and keep the series fun. :aussie:

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

Without going back and looking at all the past posts I would like to see if there was a dominant tyre in amongst the cars and venture to suggest it should become a control tyre for next years racers.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I thought the idea of a control tyre was laid to rest awhile back in an earlier thread when we were looking at suggestions for next year's series.

Phil

Phil, I couldn't agree more. The success of a series like this is highly dependant on the element of surprise and/or the unknown - and the introduction of a standard tyre will remove any expectation of an upset once the first couple of rounds have been run and the performances of the cars are known. The interest generated by the varying fortunes of the cars has been instrumental in keeping everyone glued to their PC monitors throughout the series. There were cars that were light and overpowered, some were a little heavier but under-powered whilst there were still others which were heavyweights but had tons of grunt - and the performance (or not) of all these cars were highly dependant on the choice of tyres fitted to them by the entrants before the start of the series. With the races conducted on a variety of track configurations having different track surfaces, a car that was an also-ran on one track could unexpectedly turn out to be a winner on another. And, for me (and perhaps some of the other entrants as well), this has been the fun part and excitement of following the racing - not knowing whether my car will perform like a rocket or a pig from one track to another. But if we were to introduce a "control tyre", this element of uncertainty in performance will be removed and the handling of all the cars will remain unchanged on all the tracks, relative to each other and any expectation of excitement goes out the window.

So I say - let the choice of tyres be free and keep the series fun. B)

He he looks like I hit a nerve , as I said I didn't go back over all the old threads , tyres open is ok by me as well , I know what you mean by the element of surprise in some cars performing well on certian tracks but not on others , The object of the game is to build the all around best performer within the rules and to have a varied field in the race . So tyre choice / motor choice is important to the builder.

Restrictions on various part has been discussed on this Forum and over on other forums. This year the NSR are the choice for the tracks down here and some other tracks,but next year who knows what will be around. IMO i think just restict theb use on silicon as not many use them here and they certainly effect the handling of none silicone shod cars.

Last year my car was a lot faster down here than any of the others,I think there are some cars that fitted with different tyres would be almost as fast. After the last race I would like to put my NSR's on Sports's car and see how that goes. While it is too late for this year it may help next year.

I think the big advantage of my car is that it is very easy to drive, that is the big thing for proxy racing. No good having a rocket that is hard to drive.

Phil

After the last race I would like to put my NSR's on Sports's car and see how that goes. While it is too late for this year it may help next year.

Great minds think alike. I missed your comment first time I read it and was thinking last night I'd like to know how my car runs with NSR's (after the last race is run). This would give a direct comparison between MJK's and NSR's on your track AND let me know how well I can build a car to race on what is proving to be the Mt Everest/Americas Cup of tracks. If I can get a car to be very quick on your track I can get it to run quick on anyones.

The wheels on the Lola are glued on so shouldn't be any problem removing

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

Paul, NSR Ultras usually need to be glued on because they are so soft. If you have large diameter rims and the track isn't too fast, they might stay on without.

And Phil, checked that link and it all looks right, Thanks.

Edited by PeteN95

PeteN95

from the Northwest US of A!