SlotsNZ

Help Please - Making Sand Traps

My hat's off to any man that can eat a bit of humble pie and make an apology .

Cheers Slider ;)

PS don't punish the car's instead of putting them under the hammer post them to me and in doing so i know you feel better and in future you will behave more like the gentleman that you are . ;)

My kids are into modelling using the Games Workshop/Warhammer models. They sell modelling grass and sand. The grass is basically a fine crumb rubber or foam I think. Soft, wont scratch cars etc. PVA glue on the surface, then dip or sprinkle the stuff on. Then have to paint it as it's green. The sand is slightly grittier but you won't have to paint it.

Oz Games Workshop sand

Oz Games Workshop grass

Edited by humbrage

Sand trap or Gravel Trap???? Most courses are using Loose Gravel.........its a bit larger than all but the heaviest RR ballast ( O scale ballast will work but its spendy)

This Photo is Kitty Litter.................Looked about right to me :)

Graveltrap01.jpg

Sometimes I think there is more to do with tricking the eye to think it looks right rather than going for a 'firmly' scale effect with this stuff.

Love your work by the way Tileguy - I've seen a bit of your advice on 'another' forum. I'll be into you with questions once I get myself a little more organised..

Hey that's a grouse idea Humbrage - the eldest son's into warhammer - I should take more notice! :)

Don't worry too much Mark - I think everyone has a bad day! Heaven knows I did! B)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Actually Tileguy, I WAS (still am) tired, actually more like flaming exhausted from 3 weeks on/off insomnia

I figured it had to be something affecting your normally funloving self Mark, it was very unlike you...........

We all have bad days, I am no exception, Ive had plenty.(and would hope ya'll would give me a wake up ;) )

I hope things straighten up for you and you find a bit of sleep...we all need it!!!

Now thats all straightened out...On with the Shoe!!!! :)

Thanks Eno, glad to help If I can.........Ive a bit of experience with my Model RR background but am still a rookie when it comes to Scenic'd Slotcar tracks........Some things I might normally do may not work as well with slots......I'll be finding out as I go.

So far Ive found that slotcars are pretty dang tough for the most part.......BUT, they dont seem to like falling a scale 300 foot to the floor :(

hmmmmn....all covered quite a bit of ground on quite a bit of stuff!

most important.....unless you like cleaning the crud out of your cars quite often.....and we all like to look inside once and a while to see whats going on, just make sure whatever you use that its glued down well!!! :roll:

i like the foamy suggestion, unless well sealed will fall off eventually an dget in the works

the chamios one sounds really good i would imagine you could do quite a bit with that,

the saw dust/sand coloured paint thing also sounds highly feasable, also easily fixed down, go to a friendly joinery workshop, the mdf dust that comes off the saw is usually of a size that would "do" make sure you wear a mask when your playing with it until its sealed , you could put a 10% poly on top of it, it would darken up but would be non glossy and hopefully not as abrasive as bare wood grain particles could always spray some dull cote on it with an air brush.

i get a few cars every now and again form ebay and some guy packed them in shredded paper, not only was it a mess to clean up but it scratched the hell out of everything it touched,yep even the car, what was a shelf queen is now a racer....... so the sawdust should be sealed as well.

hmmmmn....all covered quite a bit of ground on quite a bit of stuff!

most important.....unless you like cleaning the crud out of your cars quite often.....and we all like to look inside once and a while to see whats going on, just make sure whatever you use that its glued down well!!! :roll:

i like the foamy suggestion, unless well sealed will fall off eventually an dget in the works

the chamios one sounds really good i would imagine you could do quite a bit with that,

the saw dust/sand coloured paint thing also sounds highly feasable, also easily fixed down, go to a friendly joinery workshop, the mdf dust that comes off the saw is usually of a size that would "do" make sure you wear a mask when your playing with it until its sealed , you could put a 10% poly on top of it, it would darken up but would be non glossy and hopefully not as abrasive as bare wood grain particles could always spray some dull cote on it with an air brush.

i get a few cars every now and again form ebay and some guy packed them in shredded paper, not only was it a mess to clean up but it scratched the hell out of everything it touched,yep even the car, what was a shelf queen is now a racer....... so the sawdust should be sealed as well.

I have done quite a bit with saw dust and is my prefered method, but I'm sure not the only way. My point is that I do alot of wood work and I keep most of the shavings and dust from cutting (not so much from sanding though) and it only costs me a few bottles of poster paint from the art shop at $5 a Lt. that will colour about two shoe boxs full and when sealed as nzyank1 mentioed is great and I race all of my cars (don't own enough to have a shelf queen just yet) and they do not get scratched, I also have a 6 and 8 Year old drivers in my house which means they are deslotting a lot.

hope this helps

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09