SlotsNZ

Help Please - Making Sand Traps

Hi guys,

I want to make sand trap runouts on my corners for "Oakland Park Raceway" (until I think of a better name, 'cause that's the wee subdivision where me and Mrs slotsnz park our tails.)

I obviously want it to be secure as cars WILL run into and over it with reckless abandon, and it HAS to be non-abrasive for when those objects of beauty barrel roll into it, but I DON'T want it too glossy and shiny and artificial looking.

So, do I use "real" sand, or is there a modeller's product maybe in the train world I can use.

What glue would I use to hold it in place, and

what can I put over it to seal it, and make the surface smooth without making it a reflective gloss finish.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

As a base use thin yellow sponge foam. Coat with contact adhesive and apply medium/course radiata pine saw dust then hair spray. You can buy low lustre hair spray. Bread crumbs (from a packet) also works ok - use hair spray between layers. If you find the hair spray is not solid enough apply a spray coat of a Water Based Low Sheen Clear Varnish. Do a sample area before applying to track area to see how much of everything you use is best.

Regards OTFS

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

Back in the mid 60's (hey I'm getting like "Oldslot) when I built my first routed 3 lane track 90' track I used blackboard paint with crushed up walnut shell added for grip. I also put it into some green paints for the grass areas and looked great (then). A lot of yacht owners used this for a non slip additive to decking paints so when anyone slipped over they didn't debark themselves. Don't know if it can be still purchased anywhere but if so would be a great layer over a sand trap.

Even cardboard can be abrasive so its a matter how much you can stand. Maybe some of the Woodlands Flock over thin sponge material might be the go

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

Have you seen the shellgrit you get to feed to budgies so they can digest their grub? That might make a good texture for a sandpit..

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I did a similar thing with the corkscrew onthe old track but it was abrasive. Could always be coated with something after a good sanding.

http://www.sanphoeno.com/page.php?page=corkscrew

just looked at you site... is your track just really rubbered up or is that paint ?? after about 3000 laps on my track i've got about 100mm of rubber on one lane !!!

Edited by imugford

newemupark10.jpg

I used model railroad ballast for a gravel trap. Stuck it down with PVA glue and sprayed PVA mixed with water over the top. A couple of layers and a couple of coats of Glue and water. Needs a bit of a spray again soon as cars running over it can break it loose but over all it works well.

I don't know if it is abrasive to car bodies but it probably is. Just drive better and it won't matter.

I did a similar thing with the corkscrew onthe old track but it was abrasive. Could always be coated with something after a good sanding.

http://www.sanphoeno.com/page.php?page=corkscrew

whats the item number of the trees Martin....I need lots!

Edited by gref

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

just looked at you site... is your track just really rubbered up or is that paint ?? after about 3000 laps on my track i've got about 100mm of rubber on one lane !!!

Just rubbered up, interior low sheen brushed on, WD40 on ninco or scx tyres on 4wd scx cars rubbers up beautifully. I don't think it happens to this level of rubber build up on ferrador tracks, there grip level is more consistant over the life of the track due to the textured surface.

Gref, which trees, the small ones on the inside of the corkscrew ?

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

newemupark10.jpg

I used model railroad ballast for a gravel trap. Stuck it down with PVA glue and sprayed PVA mixed with water over the top. A couple of layers and a couple of coats of Glue and water. Needs a bit of a spray again soon as cars running over it can break it loose but over all it works well.

I don't know if it is abrasive to car bodies but it probably is. Just drive better and it won't matter.

There it is - shellgrit! $2 a big bag at the canary shop, $20 a little bag at the train shop.. ;)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

Have you ever thought of just going down to the Beach ?

Too easy.

:)

May as well take to the cars with an angle grinder :lol::lol:

Too easy.

Falcon, when I started this thread I assumed I would be going to the beach - it's how to glue it down and how to prevent it ripping the surface off the cars I ased for help with.

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self

Too easy.

Falcon, when I started this thread I assumed I would be going to the beach - it's how to glue it down and how to prevent it ripping the surface off the cars I ased for help with.

Just use PVA glue.

Add 50 / 50 PVA and Water with 5 drops of Dishwashing Detergent into a hair sray trigger pump .

First Use a brush and brush a thin coat of PVA to the area to be added with Beach Sand.

Then add you sand to your liking, then use the spray bottle and spray the top of the sand.

This way the Detergent will help with the soaking in mixing the sand to the base.

Hope this helps

Hi Falcon thanks, sounds like a practical way to do it.

Should I "overdo" the sand to begin with, then vacuum the loose stuff away once dry, THEN do the PVA/water/detergent thing over the top?

Sand trap or Gravel Trap???? Most courses are using Loose Gravel.........its a bit larger than all but the heaviest RR ballast ( O scale ballast will work but its spendy)

This Photo is Kitty Litter.................Looked about right to me :(

Graveltrap01.jpg

Nah, this is sand, or something passing for it, that we have at some courses down under. I realise that at scale 1/32 we should in fact just paint the area, but what IS to scale and what APPEARS to scale perspective are two different things, so I want to use sand, and create the "effect" of a "real" sand trap.

Funnily enough, the commentators jokingly say, "ooops the 51 car just went off into the kitty litter . . ." - but it's more like a river sand in many cases.

- Can any of you ozzies remember exactly what they have on the outside of Caltex Chase and outside of "Holden" - just after "Skyline" - on Bathurst and any kiwis at exit of the first hairpin at Pukekohe? Those are a couple of good examples of what I want to create.

It was so cold last time I was at Bathurst in 2005 I walked from Goldfields up to Forest Elbow and just stayed put in the lee of the hill and the hot dog stand, and never moved for 2 days - apart from elbow exercise of course.

Nah, this is sand, or something passing for it, that we have at some courses down under. I realise that at scale 1/32 we should in fact just paint the area, but what IS to scale and what APPEARS to scale perspective are two different things, so I want to use sand, and create the "effect" of a "real" sand trap.

Funnily enough, the commentators jokingly say, "ooops the 51 car just went off into the kitty litter . . ." - but it's more like a river sand in many cases.

- Can any of you ozzies remember exactly what they have on the outside of Caltex Chase and outside of "Holden" - just after "Skyline" - on Bathurst and any kiwis at exit of the first hairpin at Pukekohe? Those are a couple of good examples of what I want to create.

It was so cold last time I was at Bathurst in 2005 I walked from Goldfields up to Forest Elbow and just stayed put in the lee of the hill and the hot dog stand, and never moved for 2 days - apart from elbow exercise of course.

River sand at least 300mm deep but it is not mixed with glue.

I used sand once and ruined too many of my cars skidding on their sides or roof - never again. The F1 in Melbourne they use 20mm (or there abouts) pebbles.

Got to say I like the kitty litter idea.

Slotz

I've got to say that I agree with the sand idea being a bit harsh :(

I've just made grass by using sawdust and pouring diluted paint in umtil the sawdust can't obsorb anymore, then dry it out.

This worked out great and looks real stuck to a dark green painted area, my next move will be the same with a sand/gravel colour.

At least it will be ok on the cars :o

Paul

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Well since I started this thread, at the risk of sounding harsh or unappreciative, let me restate (3rd time) what I began with. I had four basic parameters.

1) I obviously want it to be secure as cars WILL run into and over it with reckless abandon, and

2) it HAS to be non-abrasive for when those objects of beauty barrel roll into it, but

3) I DON'T want it too glossy and shiny and artificial looking.

4) I wanted to use sand for scale impresssion unless there is a modellers "look alike" - ie same scale of particle.

Those were the parameters, I KNOW the issues, I was just looking for some suggestions for making it work.

I'll try a couple of options I had in mind previously, and let folk know the outcome.

Edited by SlotsNZ

Well since I started this thread, at the risk of sounding harsh or unappreciative, let me restate (3rd time) what I began with. I had four basic parameters.

1) I obviously want it to be secure as cars WILL run into and over it with reckless abandon, and

2) it HAS to be non-abrasive for when those objects of beauty barrel roll into it, but

3) I DON'T want it too glossy and shiny and artificial looking.

4) I wanted to use sand for scale impresssion unless there is a modellers "look alike" - ie same scale of particle.

Those were the parameters, I KNOW the issues, I was just looking for some suggestions for making it work.

I'll try a couple of options I had in mind previously, and let folk know the outcome.

What about an old or new car chamios , its sand coloured ! it can be dyed to change the colour and flatten out any shine you don't want ! its Soft ! It can be glued on completely with water based glue or just glue around the edges and you can use a thin layer of sponge , real sand , shell grit , kitty litter , bean bag foam balls , pieces of that old wool pullover that granny made for you under it as a filler so you can shape it to represent tyre marks from a car running through it. and it will still be soft on the cars

Edited by BMR

Well since I started this thread, at the risk of sounding harsh or unappreciative, let me restate (3rd time)

We make suggestions, we give opinions, we take the time to respond..............while everything said may not be just exactly in line with your questions or needs, Its better than 500 views and 0 responses.

And yes, this post does come off as harsh and unappreciative which may have an adverse affect in the future to your questions.

People read the question, perhaps take the time to upload a photo into an album so it can be posted etc.......and they take the time to do this all FOR YOU!!!

You dont have to take advice or suggestions given, but you should remain appreciative of every response, regardless of its relevency!!

Courtesy goes a long ways.....................This isnt meant to berate, just to raise your awareness.........ive not seen a post from you like this before...........perhaps you were tired!!

Edited by Tileguy

Well since I started this thread, at the risk of sounding harsh or unappreciative, let me restate (3rd time)

We make suggestions, we give opinions, we take the time to respond..............while everything said may not be just exactly in line with your questions or needs, Its better than 500 views and 0 responses.

And yes, this post does come off as harsh and unappreciative which may have an adverse affect in the future to your questions.

People read the question, perhaps take the time to upload a photo into an album so it can be posted etc.......and they take the time to do this all FOR YOU!!!

You dont have to take advice or suggestions given, but you should remain appreciative of every response, regardless of its relevency!!

Courtesy goes a long ways.....................This isnt meant to berate, just to raise your awareness.........ive not seen a post from you like this before...........perhaps you were tired!!

Well said - thanks

I thought of several "funny" repartees I might write in response. But in the end I decided it would be more decent to just fall on my sword, borrow the dreaded "s" word from the female dictionary, and say sorry.

I was unreasonably frustrated by the exercise and ungrateful for the input of everyone who took time to respond.

Actually Tileguy, I WAS (still am) tired, actually more like flaming exhausted from 3 weeks on/off insomnia, but that's not an excuse.

So thanks everyone who made suggestions on the thread.

NOW, I'll take the grumpy old git who wrote the previous post in my name out the back; give him the "kicking" he flaming deserves, and threaten to put a couple of his cars under a sledge hammer next time he does it.