Tuning Cars For Racing

aircraft_2

hi,being fairly new to racing i am having trouble getting some of my cars to stay on track at times,they seem to deslot on corners(go straight ahead) have tried adding weight but not much luck,any ideas please,also have tried cars without mag forno mag racing but what a night mare cant keep them on no matter how carefull i am,how much weight is to much,i know im confusing things,i have a ninco digital track,thanks for any help. :)

Hi Aircraft

Your best bet really is to start reading evrything you can find in these hallowed halls, There are so many variations on why it maybe deslotting, If you start looking around you will find hints and tips on weights, mags, driving and tracks.

If the car is deslotting at the corner and going in a straight line rather than turning it sounds like you need a little more weight in the front or tease out the braids and flaten them out a touch, could also be front axle to low, If you let us know what type of car you have that can help a lot too..

Cheers Sim :)

Sim

CANYON COUNTY RACEWAY

hi,being fairly new to racing i am having trouble getting some of my cars to stay on track at times,they seem to deslot on corners(go straight ahead) have tried adding weight but not much luck,any ideas please,also have tried cars without mag forno mag racing but what a night mare cant keep them on no matter how carefull i am,how much weight is to much,i know im confusing things,i have a ninco digital track,thanks for any help. ;)

I've been slotting for a bit over 12 months now, and while still on the learning curve I have got a few things sorted out. Our club races alternate Friday nights and the guys have been really helpful. Our club runs no magnets, so it's all about weight and balance. I've also done quite a bit or reading.

There is an excellent series sourced from Pendle Slot Racing in UK, you can get into it through the web link http://kap61.com/actsc/tips/body_car_tuning_-_part_1.htm. It's a series or articles, the link for "part 2" is at the bottom of Part 1, etc.

There is also a very good book I got hold of, called "Slot Car Bible" by Robert Schleicher. It's an American book, I got mine through a friend who runs a bookshop but I think you can get it from Patto's Place at a cost of around $60. Not cheap, but a very comprehensive book. http://members.optusnet.com.au/pattosplace/home.html.

One thing I have found, our club works on the basis of keeping costs down so exotic modifications are not on. In virtually all classes, we generally requires that cars run on either original or Ninco tyres. Almost without exception the Ninco tyres make quite a difference to grip on virtually all tracks (we run different brands of plastic, plus routed timber tracks).

Allan A