Rather Surprised

old_skool_m

This deleting of posts is not the work of mr Wise but of one his moderaters who doesn't like our forum. For this reason some of us no longer go on the HRW site which is a pity as it is an informative site with good tips and hints.

You have done a great job on the track directory and in the end people will come to find out from other means and other forums.

Don't worry about it too much OSM. Everyone here appreciates your efforts and if some petty moron goes to those legths, he must be worried about this forums success. It doesn't help the SC cause, though.

Well done OSM, great stuff !

Regards,

Dave

"I spent most of my money on beer, women and slot cars. The rest I just wasted."

G'Day

I asked over at HRW today about the directory and why the post had been deleted. My post lasted about 15 minutes before it was deleted also with no explanation. I then reposted commenting on my deletion. When I logged on again later in the day I dicovered I had been banned. I PMed Harry asking why and am still waiting for a reply. I thought the question was fairly innocentand didn't warrant the treatment I received.

Lenny

As there seems to be a trend in these posts and PM's and emails I've had, let me take a little time-out to explain the life of a moderator or admin on a good board. That's the goal we aspire to here and its the goal that some of the larger and successful overseas slot-car boards have achieved.

Firstly, any good board's policy should be to keep it legal so no slander, libel, copyright breaches etc are allowed -- that is, use common sense when posting. This can get a little confusing as internet publishing spans international law. A recent case where an Aus investor successfully sued a well-known US Financial Journal demonstrates the need for Internet sites to be mindful that what's legal at home ain't necessarily so overseas. Legally enforceable take-down requests, DCA enforcement etc etc is tedious and a legal minefield that none of us have time for. Of the two posts I've ever edited, its only been to remove personally identifying data, otherwise the poster's intent was retained. Of course, the mods will PM the poster to explain the reasoning and in both cases the edits didn't cause issues.

After that, whatever rules a board's owner wants should be clearly defined. The only guideline we work to at Auslot is to respect other people's opinions, be they wrong, different or just out there, and keep it somewhat civil. We've seen a few challenging threads here but as long as its not abusive, its been left as is. Imagine we're at the pub and a debate starts and you'll get the picture - as long as it stays debate and doesn't end up as a stoush, its allowed. As we have a wide range of members and guests at different ages and gender, different skilll levels and different abilities, we ask that people keep those differences in mind when reading someone else's post that you don't agree with.

To take a recent example of how to state a more detailed policy & rule set, Slot Car Illustrated clearly published and enforced a new set of rules concerning sponsorship. Like the rules or hate them, the board owner's method of introducing them was well done. He made his position clear, explained his reasoning and then enforced those rules without bias. Whenever posts were deleted or edited, I'm told the moderator advised the poster of the reasons. That's just common courtesy. The SCI moderators work as a team and use a common set of standards so there's good consistency in how they apply the rules. The same can be said of Slot Forum. People might not agree with the rules of posting at a particular board but its the individual posters' choice whether to contribute there or not under those rules.

Unfortunately, not all boards are that well run. But its your choice whether to visit and contribute there or not.

What happens when someone clearly and repeatedly breaks the rules?

Luckily we've only had one instance of this and again common courtesy and clear communication comes in to play. The accepted process is to:

1) privately message the poster to explain fully the situation and consequences if it happens again. Often its a heat of the moment reaction.

2) edit the post and where it makes sense, make it clear that the post was edited and a short explanation. In particular, be mindful that other guests and members may have read the original post.

3) only after warnings have been given are posting privleges and ultimately banning used. At Auslot we have only ever revoked posting privleges once and so far no one has been banned. Whether they choose to keep visiting is their decision.

So we're trying to keep it interesting, challenging, thought-provoking and local. The moderators and admins know we're lucky to have very little moderating work to do and that's thanks to all the posters here using common sense mixed with a large doses of fun and humour. Now if we can only get the webhoster to sort out the database server, life would be sweet and I'd be painting up a TransAm rather than posting.

Cheers

bump

;)

PS Vinno don't mention the medal tally again, not after last night. As a tipster, you make a great slot-racer..... :unsure:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't

Hey guys, any reply back from HRW regarding this issue? I have an incling where it has come from but would rather hear it from the horses mouth first. It's a crazy situation considering this hobby is really quite small in the scheme of things and we all all pasionate about it. Let's hope the outstanding issues are resolved before the rift is insurmountable.