Class Wishlist

Freddy

Hey, maybe Us (being South City Raceways) & you guys could work out a common set of rules...then we could have interestate trips? Maybe?

Could be a good idea Hoffy, i've been reading how you guys are looking at fixing up your rules, maybe when you come up with something, you could give us a look.

Looked through your web site, (looks great)

These are three things from your "general rules" i think all clubs should adopt.

Marshalling - All competitors on the night must make a reasonable effort to marshal, where possible, when they are not racing. Special circumstances will be taken into consideration, at the discretion of the race director.

When marshalling, the vehicle that is to be marshalled first in any multi car indicdent, shall be the vehicle with the least amount of cause for the incident.

Lapped cars - If a car is about to be lapped, it must make all efforts to allow this to happen cleanly. If the car about to be lapped continually blocks and doesn't allow the lead cars to pass, the race director may ask the lap vehicle to yield .

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR RACING.

Modern GT class for V32

I'd like to see a mix of cars from tin-top racing, including but not limited to DTM, SuperGT, FIA GT. For example :

Ferrari 360 - Corvette C5R - Porsche 911GT3 - Aston DBR9 - BMW M3 GTR - Mosler MT900R - Jaguar XKRS - Maserati MC12 - Chrysler Viper GTS-R - Opel Vectra DTM - Audi TT DTM - Ascari A10 KZ1 - Ford GT -

Restrictions:

• No Slot.Its - there is an existing class.

• No JGTC (Japanese Domestic- Skyline, 350Z, Supra, NSX, etc)- there is an existing class.
  • No NSR models.

Rough idea of Class Rules: These would be the start - two rounds to sort out and refine them, then it gets nailed down.

• Cars to be scrutineered!
  • Weight can be added to any car - must be secured to inside of car only.

• Motor & stock bits may be glued in.

• Tyres may be Trued & glued. Sticky compound tyres (MJK etc) may be used, but no silicone (Oortmans, Indy Grips etc) as usual. No tyre treatments may be used.
  • As far as motors go, Standard Mabuichi's and NC5's have proven to be fairly even motors @ 12V.
  • Any SCX car may use an RX42"B" motor, or Standard Mabuichi, or Ninco NC5 to be competitive.
  • Any SCX car may have a gear upgrade within reason

• Any car may be modded to use a standard ninco guide.
  • Any Fly models can have a solid front axle.
  • Any SCX chassis may have necessary mods within reason to accomodate upgraded motor.
  • Any bodyposts may be repaired or replaced, but must be orignal height.
  • No other chassis mods for any car, if they are not detailed here.

>>> Have a look here at some motor ratings

Edited to change weight rule. Edited to show restricted cars. Edited to allow SCX upgrades.

Edited by shodan

Ferrari 360 - Corvette C5R - Porsche 911GT3 - Aston DBR9 - BMW M3 GTR - Mosler MT900R - Jaguar XKRS - Maserati MC12 - Chrysler Viper GTS-R - Opel Vectra DTM - Ascari A10 KZ1 - Ford GT

Notes:

No Slot.Its - they are weapons, and it's not ever going to be fair if we mix the brands.

Bry, included in some of these cars are brands such as Ninco, Scaley, SCX and Fly!

The Slot.Its are the most even class we've run so far!! Sure, they're quick, but they've proven to be very close.

Weight can be added.

Where? It should be restricted to being contained within the body.

Any car may be modded to use a standard ninco guide

So I now have to go out and buy Ninco guides for all my cars to be competitive?

Somewhere in the National Rules thread, I read about having Eg, 10 classes of Box Stock, 10 classes of Modified (Tyres and weight) and 10 classes of Unlimited Modifications.

I think this would be a better route to go down as then you can simplify the rules and it's easier to compete.

If you're a beginner and you don't know how to set up a car, then run in the Box stock classes for a while.

As you learn a few tricks (doesn't take long), you can buy some tyres, add some weight and step up a class. Unlimited would be for the guys who really know their stuff, but is great for learning!!!

In our club, perhaps the Box Stock and modified classes in their simplicity would be best.

Speaking to a learned member about this, it's been noted that 'Box Stock' needs to be defined.

Eg, do you allow 'Blueprinting", where the original components only are to be used, however you may run in motors, trim axles (to remove any slop) rather than adding spacers, or do you allow the fitment of spacers etc?

Where do you draw the line?

This needs to be clarified....... before we decide on which cars to run, we need to establish what we can do to them first.

Scaley cars are designed and built to be run on home tracks for fun.

I doubt they're built to race to within 1000ths of a second!

There are big discrepancies between the thousands of cars produced by these larger companies.

Should we be allowed to set them up to bring them as close to each other without spending time or money on mods?

My 2c.

See you Saturday

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Dick,

Thanks for your feedback. You have raised several good points, I will address each in turn. Sorry if the replies seem lengthy, but this will explain my thinking more clearly and allow everyone to argue rationally.

Bry, included in some of these cars are brands such as Ninco, Scaley, SCX and Fly!

Exactly! I'd like to see variety in cars fielded. We all have a lot of different RTR cars.

The Slot.Its are the most even class we've run so far!! Sure, they're quick, but they've proven to be very close.

The Slot.it class is well established now- the most even, as you say. This proposed class is meant to add to what we have, not replace our Slot.it class.

Where? It (weight) should be restricted to being contained within the body.

Thanks for picking that up, will add to proposed rules. link to proposed class & rules

So I now have to go out and buy Ninco guides for all my cars to be competitive?

Not all your cars. My thinking was about parity between brands. Ninco obviously not. No probs with Fly / Scaley guides either (but you could, if you feel a ninco guide is superior!). An SCX Opel Vectra would definitely benefit though!

Somewhere in the National Rules thread, I read about having Eg, 10 classes of Box Stock, 10 classes of Modified (Tyres and weight) and 10 classes of Unlimited Modifications.

One of my ideas behind this was to create a class with non-ambiguous rules- our current rules are sketchy as we all know.

I want people to be able to look at the rules for this class and know *exactly* what is allowed or not.

Most of our current classes are Modified (Tyres and weight). This class would be 'limited mods'. It will be a long time before national classes are agreed on, besides why not have one of our own? It is also excellent preparation for the future inclusion of 'unlimited mods'.

...great for learning!!!

Again, excellent preparation.

Speaking to a learned member about this, it's been noted that 'Box Stock' needs to be defined.

Eg, do you allow 'Blueprinting", where the original components only are to be used, however you may run in motors, trim axles (to remove any slop) rather than adding spacers, or do you allow the fitment of spacers etc?

Where do you draw the line?

Nowhere at the moment with our rules. :P This is off topic- the rules for our other classes will hopefully be fixed when Freddy decides how he wants V32 to run.

This needs to be clarified....... before we decide on which cars to run, we need to establish what we can do to them first.

I'm proposing crystal clear rules for this class to overcome this very issue! The cars should define the rules not the other way round.

This class is not intended to be box stock, this is to allow a broad field of tin-tops from different makers, and aim for some parity between said makers.

Edited by shodan

G'day everyone.

I am pretty disappointed at the lack of response. Outside of Gref, Knoath, ESPSIX, Sax0607 & Pyro, no one has bothered to comment to me or post a reply here. Not even you Freddy, and this thread was started by you - 'What do you wanna race?'

Seriously, how hard is it to click 'Fast Reply' and say- "hey bry, your idea for a class sucks."

Or "hey bry, sounds cool, i think if we were racing this class we should do <insert thing here>"

Or "i think we should/shouldn't do this, and here's why"

If we can reach a group agreement (consensus) then Freddy decides to accept or decline this class for inclusion in V32.

Q32 do this, on Plafit Super32's. Phoenix do it - look here: Phoenix Modern GT

Modern GT would be a great class, and the pic of Phoenix's cars look great and would liven up any grid, BUT although they all look great there is a BIG parity difference vetween those cars...ie....NSR would eat all oposition, Ninco's would beat most Scaley cars. If these issues could be somehow addressed and the field evened up it would be awesome!

ps: Can you make it here on the 18th Bry?

2 x australian ego champion

regards

Shane

Fulel racing in first track build --> https://youtu.be/nG1EyFkbJSs

My second track build --> 

raceday - https://youtu.be/8WXYQ528iKM

G'day everyone.

I am pretty disappointed at the lack of response. Outside of Gref, Knoath, ESPSIX, Sax0607 & Pyro, no one has bothered to comment to me or post a reply here. Not even you Freddy, and this thread was started by you - 'What do you wanna race?'

Seriously, how hard is it to click 'Fast Reply' and say- "hey bry, your idea for a class sucks."

Or "hey bry, sounds cool, i think if we were racing this class we should do <insert thing here>"

Or "i think we should/shouldn't do this, and here's why"

If we can reach a group agreement (consensus) then Freddy decides to accept or decline this class for inclusion in V32.

Q32 do this, on Plafit Super32's. Phoenix do it - look here: Phoenix Modern GT

Sorry mate - I've managed not to see this at all since I was last in - clever huh? I thought we were going to have a sit down chinwag about classes at the end of the current season? I've managed to get confused between this and the swapping rules thing.

NOw one of teh things I rather enjoyed on Saturday was in the SLot It's I ran the MonoRev Red Lobster March. While it's not competative (being straight out of the box) a couple of the guys said how good it was to have something different on the grid & suggesting I pop a slot it motor in it. I'm very keen on aiming for "style" / real class of car for a lot of classes (older F1 cars for one).

That said I'd also like to do some very simple classes such as the " Scaley Dallara Indy" - just add weight class as a one brand open wheel one. there's a heap of room inside the body to drop in lead and they're very VERY solid construction.. and cheap.

I think the "Which car is best" saga will change quick smart as soon as we start using more than the one circuit..

AS I said in passing with the Red Lobster though - As long as cars are reasonably compatible I think there's room for everything. It just might mean we have to use a slower motor or add weight of something to pull a car's performance back (always to be done by third parties - never part of a particular clique - how do we do that??)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

I have steered clear of this one, only as I fear I have not a lot of useful input to add.

Still trying to get the cash together for a set let alone extra cars, it'll be soon though.

Without further knowledge, I'd be picking cars on looks more than anything else, and probably like most newbies be picking Scaley's over other brands.

Cheers

Glenn

Cheers

Glenn

Modern GT would be a great class, and the pic of Phoenix's cars look great and would liven up any grid, BUT although they all look great there is a BIG parity difference vetween those cars...ie....NSR would eat all oposition, Ninco's would beat most Scaley cars. If these issues could be somehow addressed and the field evened up it would be awesome!

ps: Can you make it here on the 18th Bry?

Agreed Gref, NSR Moslers should not be included in our class. I'll update that.

Scalextric are reasonably close, SCX not close!

Should we allow limited upgrades to Scaley (except the motors- check that comparison chart!)

We should allow upgrades for SCX to bring some parity to the cars.

What about Fly? Do we need to allow more than solid front axles and Ninco guides(if desired)?

Re 18th: Not sure yet mate, may be working. Will let you know as soon as possible.

Edited by shodan