SlotsNZ

Identifying Tyres

I now have standard tyres from Ninco/Fly/Scaley/Carrera/slot.it/GB track/Revell/Proslot/Sloter/Vanquish/MRRC/Spirit/SCX etc,

I have Ninco shore A25s,

I have slot.it silicons,

I have Indygrips,

I have one set of MJK

This is getting confusing. Anyone have any cunning ideas for identifying tyres by compound/code, so you can pick up a car and see what flavour of shoes it is wearing.

I am thinking about spraying the inside wall of every tyre with Tamiya TS series paint which SHOULD stick and flex under load, and SHOULDN’T harm the compound. If I spray the inside wall white/pale gray/yellow etc according to compound/brand, then I can write on the painted side of it, the particular code, so I know what fits what I have, and what else it will fit, at any given time!

Any better ideas?

I use a simple plastic box with many individual compartmants and write on the bottom of the compartment.....just need to keep control and put the right tyre back in the right compartment each time...........also gives you something to do on rainy days when they get mixed up :ph34r:

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

WhiteOut or Liquid Paper on the inside wall of each tyre. One dot for Ninco, two for Fly etc. Also handy to check if tyres have moved on the rim if you also do a corresponding dot on the rim.

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

I think I need to clarify my first post.

I need to know whether that Ferrari 166mm or Nissan 390 or MInco Mosler currently has original rubber, silicons, Ortmann etc on it. Stickers on undersides of cars will fall off, and there are just way too many to consider using little boxes and tossing labels in the pockets, then assuming the empty pocket lines up with a particular car.

I am talking about around 150 cars that are NOT shelf queens. So an estimated 300 sets of tyres, (that's just one extra pair average per car), some might use potentially 3 sets, others may stay on original rubber in most situations.

Changed for wood vs. Ninco, vs. a different type of wood surface, and maybe Artin.

I actually thought about the dots system Sport Racer, but it isn't specific enough. I still have to remember to look back onto a chart to find first THAT car, then identify the tyre by number hoping that there IS only one tyre that fits that car, then look to see what else it fits. Even then, I might mistake the brand because I am just going by appearance, and assume it is a SuperTyre, when in fact it is an Indy, or an MJK, when in fact it was an Indygrip I had shouldered . . . etc

Also, in the case of Indygrips for instance, there are some tyres that DO fit several cars, slight shades of difference, so just knowing what is is on now, doesn't even neccessarily tell you that it will fit another particular car, - ie the one you are about to shod, and once you take it OFF that car, all you know is either it fitted ONE Ninco car, or that it IS an Indygrip, or IS an MJK.

Whereas if I have the tyre identified precisely, I can just check the number, and switch it to what I want, or file it number side up, ready for next use sometime in the future.

So the method HAS to identify the tyres, not the cars, or just the brand of tyre.

Edited by SlotsNZ

I think I need to clarify my first post.

I need to know whether that Ferrari 166mm or Nissan 390 or MInco Mosler currently has original rubber, silicons, Ortmann etc on it. Stickers on undersides of cars will fall off, and there are just way too many to consider using little boxes and tossing labels in the pockets, then assuming the empty pocket lines up with a particular car.

I am talking about around 150 cars that are NOT shelf queens. So an estimated 300 sets of tyres, (that's just one extra pair average per car), some might use potentially 3 sets, others may stay on original rubber in most situations.

Changed for wood vs. Ninco, vs. a different type of wood surface, and maybe Artin.

I actually thought about the dots system Sport Racer, but it isn't specific enough. I still have to remember to look back onto a chart to find first THAT car, then identify the tyre by number hoping that there IS only one tyre that fits that car, then look to see what else it fits. Even then, I might mistake the brand because I am just going by appearance, and assume it is a SuperTyre, when in fact it is an Indy, or an MJK, when in fact it was an Indygrip I had shouldered . . . etc

Also, in the case of Indygrips for instance, there are some tyres that DO fit several cars, slight shades of difference, so just knowing what is is on now, doesn't even neccessarily tell you that it will fit another particular car, - ie the one you are about to shod, and once you take it OFF that car, all you know is either it fitted ONE Ninco car, or that it IS an Indygrip, or IS an MJK.

Whereas if I have the tyre identified precisely, I can just check the number, and switch it to what I want, or file it number side up, ready for next use sometime in the future.

So the method HAS to identify the tyres, not the cars, or just the brand of tyre.

If, like me, you pull your car to bits & give it a clean before going racing, just leave a note tucked up in the bodywork somewhere.

Although seriously if you have 150 cars that aren't shelf queens whip up a spreadsheet on your track control / internet / desktop / laptop / palmtop (Have'nt said handheld or bluetooth yet - but I would were I to continue) and keep it up to date. :ph34r:

That'd freak the boys out - change the tyres at a meeting, whip out the handheld doovy & pointer thing and tell 'em you're updating the telemetry on the car. A fake connection to a port on your handle / track control would rock too! :):)

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

hi slots nz

on the tires i sent you they have the number stamped on the inside wall, so thats them taken care of, just use the PDF on the handheld gizmo that eno mentioned to help you remember, :lol: you can always print it off and put it in your pit box..........i use little plastic bags to keep all of my original tyres in, and then put them in bigger plastic bags, you could possibly do that with with your tires, but by car type? i just write on the bag with sharpie permanent marker help keep them fresh, like a filing cabinet but use plastic bags instead. :lol:

other ideas, those small plastic bin things with many draws and a dyno labeler

slot its are also marked on the sidewall....dont know about the others.

hi slots nz

on the tires i sent you they have the number stamped on the inside wall, so thats them taken care of, just use the PDF on the handheld gizmo that eno mentioned to help you remember, :lol: you can always print it off and put it in your pit box..........i use little plastic bags to keep all of my original tyres in, and then put them in bigger plastic bags, you could possibly do that with with your tires, but by car type? i just write on the bag with sharpie permanent marker help keep them fresh, like a filing cabinet but use plastic bags instead. :lol:

other ideas, those small plastic bin things with many draws and a dyno labeler

slot its are also marked on the sidewall....dont know about the others.

Mate, with a strong light, and a magnifying glass, I can JUST make out those Indy numbers! Actually my slot.it tyres don't have anything on them except the brand on them - unless it is written even tinier than my magnifying glass LOL

hmmmmmmmn........yep know the feeling, i have new prescription to fill when i get home!

slot it well you could label them off the original car, as for the ones they supply ihave no idea what they are

heres an idea......just use one brand for all then you dont have to worry......send me your entire list of cars!

hmmmmmmmn........yep know the feeling, i have new prescription to fill when i get home!

slot it well you could label them off the original car, as for the ones they supply ihave no idea what they are

heres an idea......just use one brand for all then you dont have to worry......send me your entire list of cars!

LOL Rhys, no even easier, just send me 20 sets of each Indy . . can I have 20 years credit hee hee.

wish i could, certainly it adds up eh! cant wait to hear what results you have had with them though. no joke though i tried three different types of racing rubber and the best one i have tried is what i sent you, there was another type puma paws that i shod onto my little cortina, but they are so hard to track down i gave up, plus they didnt have the variety..or were out of stock or discontinued..so i solved my issue by going the way i suggest!

word of warning, remove any flashng from the rims, help balance the overall combination, i use a hobby knife with a flat blade, like you would if you were wood turning, rig up a small piece of powered track that will spin the wheels at about half rpm, hold the chassis in one hand(with top off) and then carefully bring the blade to the wheel, remove any flashing, when you slip on the tyre it will require very little truing and they are not easy to true with sand paper, running the car a bit will actually do the same thing after about ten races of 2 minutes. dont use a heavy grit like 100 grit to start with , can get imbeded in compound, use 180, but by removingthe flashing from the wheel they should be very true to start with the track can do the rest.

i had an auto art subaru, ok for while your laughing your heads off i also got a citoren xsara for 30.00 total!!! anyway the tires on the subie were rubbish, rims not much better, as an experiment i did what i described above, fitting the tires regularly as i removed the flashing. look there was so much coming off i thought the tire wouldnt fit, Anyway it did i had fantastic contact patch all the way around the car, and now it is a rocket ship!! tires sit flat on rims, not at a 15 degree angle like a pidgeon and te car just hums no hopping ,skipping, or jumping, the xsara on the other hand was a much better build and i am happy with that car all the way round. great fun and great lights too!