Sign in to follow this  
Pyro

Best Way To Clean Track?

My track is a bit old. before i hit it with steel wool and metho, whats the best way to clean it up?

i live by the sea and i've had plastic and now copper tape on mdf, for my plastic i used 1200 wet'n'dry once the rust is off WD40 them... copper tape metho... DON"T USE STEEL WOOL. the fibres will get into your motors !

Is there an actual coating on the rails, if so what is it? I rubbed down some of my old track to clean it up but im concerned its going to rust down in the garage once I get set up down there.

Regards

Rob

If you're going to build a semi-permanent track in the garage why not clean the rails then do the whole track with copper tape, same as a routed track. You can get it from any leadlight supplier and it doesn't rust. Other advantages are it smooths out the bumps where the track pieces join and it carries an electric current pretty well, so well that you might not need power taps.

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

Pyro,

Safest option is a scouring pad and good ol' metho, or any sort of household metal cleaner, and lots and lots of elbow grease. Make sure you have a few scourers and plenty of rags to wipe up the residue. You will be amazed how much gunk (technical term) comes off the rails, and what a difference it will make to your cars. They will fly!

If there are any really tarnished or rusty bits, then steel wool may be helpful, but it does tend to leave tiny filamints of wire around which will be picked up by the motors or gears, so make sure you wipe cleam thoroughly, or even vacuum. You can use fine emery paper, but that can be pretty harsh on the rails and the track.

Graeme

~~~~~~

(Life is like a sewer....................What you get out of it depends on what you put into it!)

My Website

Pyro , the best method we have found with plastic track is to wipe track plastic with wd40 then leave it for about 20 mins then wipe with a dry cloth, to remove any excess, the rails are best cleaned with a metho dipped rag for the okay bits and very fine emery paper to remove the rust etc, unfortunately metal rails will rust over time no matter what you do but a little maintenance now and then goes a long way, temperature and condensation are the two evils for plastic track so always cover your track when its not being used, even inside the garage its amazing how much dust floats around so do what you can to keep it off your track..............cheers Magoo :)

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

Most plastic track is nickel coated steel. The nickel coating is about half the width of a bee's dick and is used as the sacrificial metal (much like the sacrificial anode in water heaters) that protects the steel underneath. Once you have scoured rubbed steelo-ed it you have basically rubbed the nickel coating off. Once this has happened its Ferric oxide heaven (ie rust). Put copper tape over the top is a good suggestion.

cheers

rick1776

cheers

rick1776