phoeno29

Down Under Proxy Chit Chat

Yeah mate you are probably right, they just appear so daunting as one would be led to believe that with all the screws and springs that they are a next level car with lots of adjustability, havent had mine that long but just cant seem to get it right :mosh: just another learning curve I guess........still any chance to tinker with a slot is a good thing :bday:

ENTRANT IN THE 2007 DOWN UNDER PROXY SERIES LOLA T70 MK3 B

ishot14vw5.jpg

I have an idea for next year.... assuming there will be another proxy race.

The idea is the top 10 entrants from this year are the only ones allowed to have numbers 1 to 10 on their cars in next years race.

For example, if Sports Racer finishes 3rd, he has the choice next year of having no 3 on his car or a number outside of 10. If he doesn't want no 3, no one else can have it.

This doesn't mean we all have to go and paint cars for nexts years event (what ever the class is), it could be as simple as printing a new number onto some label paper and placing that over the current number on the car. This way when the event is finished and all cars are returned, the label can be peeled off and the car returned to normal.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

As said before - if it aint broke dont bugger it up by playing with it (or words to that effect)

plafit are great cars but with SOOOO many screws, nuts and bolts etc on the cars i would doubt very much there would be any cars surviving without falling to bits like Lotus f1s in days gone past.

IF two classes were contemplated then one could be 'more or less' a standard class - example only say V8's or NASCARs the other class should be as this years rules (body changed naturally)

One thing I do know is that i will test my car next year which I didn't do this year due to being slack to start with then not having enough time and it shows in the results :^(

On a class front I really dont care what class is run - just have a personal hate for open wheelers

I actually dont agree with the control tyre idea(but still agree with no silly cones). Lets look at the pointy end of the field so far:

Phil & terry are using NSR's

Lim is using Ort's

Sports is using MJK's

Magoo & Lenny are using Slot.its

I think it adds another aspect to the game

RE: Proxy tracks to use in 2008 Having a sit down and reading all the Proxy race posts -lots of them- I thought I would get in early and see if I can nominate my track for 2008. Is it a vote system by all the competitors to get in or just a State by state agreement? Can SA have 4 tracks is the question I suppose.

Re control tyres I think tyre choice should be up to the builders , but rubber only no silicone ( ever tried to run on a track with rubber tyres after it has had silicone running on it.)

Theres merit in control tyres as the track surfaces are all different so a control tyre would even out how cars run / grip on the different tracks\ surfaces , but thats half the trick to building a car . From what I have seen of the cars and a few pictures of the tracks and the track owners all tell you what there surfaces are . The builder has plenty of opportunity to see what hes getting into and has to build a car that can run fast on all the tracks . The car may be quicker on some tracks but not on others - the challenge is to find the middle ground and build to get the best out of the car all round. The rules look good and as the saying goes "If it ain't broken don't fix it"

I must confess I don't know the various bodies as well as I probably should , how about some photos of each car with its brand and body name posted with it. Or a link to a post I have missed.

I know most American Musclecars and early tanks at a glance but the modern era sports cars are not as familar to me (just old I guess)

I have posted pics before but here are a few of the track again its around 28 - 30 metres a lap only measured Red lane so far with Solver roof and exterior surface it has tiny particles of metal and on a track it looks and feels like 600 grit wet n dry paper

th_IMG_0992.jpg

th_IMG_1000.jpg

th_IMG_0991.jpg

Edited by BMR

Hi Steve

You really are keen to get on the bandwagon eh?

As for nominating a round I don't think we should be worrying about that sort of thing till after this years series is concluded.

This year I offered all of last years round hosts another opportunity to do so again. I then invited some other guys who asked to host to fill in the vacancies. I also expanded the series to ten rounds up from 9 last year.

As for next year it looks like we may have more hosts than rounds so some sort of selection criteria may be required,we have 5 guys in SA alone interested in hosting next year.

The category this year was decided by a poll conducted here on the forum. I gave them 5 choices including the previous years category and the forum members got to decide on which one.

what ever happens for next year I'll leave that up to the next series co-ordinator ( not me) to decide.

Your track looks the goods indeed and I think would make a great venue, I look forward to giving the Monaros' a run there soon.

Cheers Alan

how about some photos of each car with its brand and body name posted with it. Or a link to a post I have missed.

feels like 600 grit wet n dry paper

Have a look at one of Hoffy's posts. He has a link to the official proxy site and specs (+ pictures) of all the entrants http://www.downunderproxy.com/

Ferrodore feels like 1000 grit and is pretty rough on tyres. If your track gets chosen to host a round next year can it be the last round? Otherwise I don't think my car will have enough rubber left to complete any other rounds.

Nice looking track though, looks like it was built for my kind of car. What lap times do you do?

Cheers

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

May be next year each race could be limited to say 100 laps or about 12 minutes for each car that way tyres wear should not be a great problem!

It would also make it more feasable to get the racing completed in one night. Might let both the drivers and entrants get some sleep on race nights!

Phil

Edited by kalbfellp

Phil

Hobart Miniature Car Club

Tassie Resins

Email

Logos%2016_17.small_zpswkcwjf0q.jpg

Sleep? What's that?

Those of us with 4 little kids don't care what time the racing finishes, we're up anyway.

Paul

May the downforce be with you.

how about some photos of each car with its brand and body name posted with it. Or a link to a post I have missed.

feels like 600 grit wet n dry paper

Have a look at one of Hoffy's posts. He has a link to the official proxy site and specs (+ pictures) of all the entrants http://www.downunderproxy.com/

Ferrodore feels like 1000 grit and is pretty rough on tyres. If your track gets chosen to host a round next year can it be the last round? Otherwise I don't think my car will have enough rubber left to complete any other rounds.

Nice looking track though, looks like it was built for my kind of car. What lap times do you do?

Cheers

Paul

Your car would be great on my old track layout and I think it would run very well on the new layout. I think 5.2 - 5.9 would be a good guess , maybe better ! At a guess the new layout will add about 1-1.5 seconds to a lap.

Track surface paint The Ferrodore on a couple of tracks here in SA use the dark colour Ferrodore The Valley track uses the dark colour it seems to be real gritty while the lighter grey used by Hoffy and Imugford on the 6 pines and Outer limits tracks is quite smooth , I would place the Solver I will use ( got it free ) in between the two surfaces above. Personally I find the light grey Ferrodore has very little grip especially when its cold - (Using the standard Scalextric V8 Supercar tyres as a control tyre here ) On the darker Ferrodore the Standard Scalextric tyre is good , BUT the surface is ruff on car bodies if you roll over. I have found a tyre like the MJK is good on the light coloured track. The MJK crew use light grey Ferrodore so I assume the tyre was developed to grip on the smoother surface. I have used the MJK on the rougher surfaces and found they grip like %#@& to a blanket but the car that used to slide nice becomes more " tippy " - Grips and Tips over for our non Aussie readers. My track favours people that can drift / slide through long sweeping corners and use there controllers well - if you are a point and shoot type of driver your times will suffer on my track - at least that is how the track was before the rebuild. I had 1 litre of blackboard paint mixed with 2 litres of slate grey Dulux all weather exterior paint (painted the house timber window frames and gutters with it) plus to the 3 litres of paint I added around 1 cup ( coffee mug ) of True Grit , Selleys product I think its for non slip surfaces like concrete driveways . Mixed it well and used a roller to apply it. It had the benifit of being easy to patch and I was able to run some sand paper over areas that were a little too grippy in some sections of the track to allow the cars to slide nicer.

Lap times The fast times with a standard motored Scalextric V8 (ballast and tyre trueing plus a bit of a lowering job about 4-5mm) were in the 5.9 - 6 second range . Sponge tyred cars with metal chassis and Fox motors were doing 4.5 - 5.7 seconds and all brand tyres worked well on the track - no particular brand had an edge. It will be interesting to see how the lap times compare on the new layout with the extra bit of track "esses" in it and the Solver paint.

I measured the track accurately yesterday the lanes are Green 25.95m Blue 26.05 Red 26.40 Yellow 26.50 the extra distance is through the sweeper corner but the cars carry more speed on the outside lanes so it should even out.

Re 1000 grit vs 600grit The dark colour Ferrodore is like 240 grit wet rub paper I rolled a Scalextric Mustang down the straight on one of these dark surfaces - Wanna buy a rag top 69 Mustang with a headless driver

Edited by BMR