Down Under Proxy Chit Chat

phoeno29

I think Australia is proving to be a perfect place for a proxy race because 90% of us live in one of only a handful of cities, means the first three rounds of a proxy can be run by the same people at different tracks. The cars move onto the next city and the same thing happens again.

Find me at Card Guys for custom trading cards

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Australia is proving to be a perfect place for a proxy race because 90% of us live in one of only a handful of cities, means the first three rounds of a proxy can be run by the same people at different tracks. The cars move onto the next city and the same thing happens again.

Hi Martin

I was hoping to run at least a round preferably 2 rounds in each region. NSW got 3 because we had that number there last year and I honoured there contrbution then by allocating the same hosts again. we only had three here in Sth Australia because a Queenland host couldn't be found this year.

It made sense to have round 3 here because we had an enthusiastic candidate in Ian and we could save some postal costs as well as it was easier logistically.

For all intents and purposes the round hosts were left to organise their rounds themselves and I made myself available to assist them. Most of the people involved came from the same racing group hence a few faces bobbing up at all the rounds. I expect that Sydney and Hobart will be similar

All the hosts from last year were invited to a hold round again this year and most took up the offer.

I think next year we may have some other people looking to host a round so we may need to look at some sort of selection process or we allocate new hosts if anyone drops out.

Any way that's in the future and for the next series co-ordinator to work out.

Alan

I thought I would start a new thread for the DUPRS life the universe and everything type chat. here you can discuss ideas about future down under proxy series .

Be it rules, formats, number of rounds etc for future events that can be referenced when the time comes for next years series. Sort of a suggestion box.

I have repositioned a few of the posts from the round 3 thread here to start with.

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

This is probably not the thread (Maybe we could start a "2008 planning" thread?), but with 15 rounds, I would seriously doubt if there would be a lot of runners at the end.

I think Hoffy is probably right. Even without casualties arising from racing incidents, attrition from normal wear and tear could eliminate quite a few during a prolonged series unless provision is made for preventive maintenance at scheduled intervals of the series. This would not be a bad thing but it will place a fair bit of stress on the hosts (checking the cars and looking for the correct replacement parts unless entrants have provided them beforehand and the extra work involved) and then raises the question of "improving the cars" - something which has already raised a few eyebrows this year. :huh:

It will need considerable discussion and a general consensus before a decision is taken to enlarge the series if any acrimony is to be avoided. :dog:

Edited by chenglaw

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

OK i know it sounds like a lot of work but how about we run two maybe a JGTC class or V8 Supercars or even Trans am Cars . as well as the one that gets run now I,m Sure there is 4 tracks in each state that can be used 2 for 1 series the other 2 for the other series just a thought

Cheers Slider

I think last year and this years classes have worked well because there is a lot of variety in what cars can be run as far as slot manufacturers aswell as the makes and models of the cars themselves.

A one make or near enough to one make series would be different, cars should be all very close......

In 2005 we had 12 different tracks run rounds of the WPR and and I thought that was too long a series and tend to loose momentum,but with the rounds close here in Australia it would be better. !5 rounds would be possible IF we limited the lenght of each race to about 100 laps and only one race per track. I know some drivers may miss out on a drive. But that still means that a car has the potential to cover 1500 laps.

I agree with Martin that what ever class is run we need a variety of eligible cars. The last two years have provided that.

Phil

OK i know it sounds like a lot of work but how about we run two maybe a JGTC class or V8 Supercars or even Trans am Cars . as well as the one that gets run now I,m Sure there is 4 tracks in each state that can be used 2 for 1 series the other 2 for the other series just a thought

Cheers Slider

I think this is not a bad idea - provided the series are run consecutively, not concurrently. Otherwise it is put quite a strain on the resources of the entrants and it would also be a little confusing trying to keep track of who's doing what in which series. :) The classes to be run need to be thought out carefully so that it won't result in a one brand or one model race :)

A JGTC class would be viable. A V8 Supercar class would be a little restrictive (basically Scaley Fords & Holdens) although it can be extended to include Nascars, but these would be disadvantaged because of the extra weight of their interiors and if we allowed their removal, it would open up a new avenue for mods which would go against the spirit of keeping things as close as possible to "standard". B) TransAm would I think result in field full of Ford Mustangs and Chevy Camaros with maybe a sprinkling of Alfas. Perhaps a post-1970 GT class may be feasible as it will encompass a wide range of makes and models which would be quite closely matched in terms of performance. Or you might want to have a class for cars which ran in the WSC races. Or we can go retro and run pre-1970 GT cars (my fave). :):P

Lim

Hi All

Before we get too carried away this thread was set up to throw some ideas around for the future series. I don't think we need to get down to specifics of categories and taking votes on them just yet.

Having done what I have so far and realise just how much time I have put into this I think we need to keep the format as simple as possible. So for me one category is enough for a series.

I think we don't need to add any more rounds to the series as ten is probably the maximum as I see it perhaps limiting the rounds in each region to with some sort of annual rotation system if there is more than 2 round in that region.

Just keep in mind that this discussion is an informal one so please don't get caught up in a serious debate on anything here

Alan

Hi All

Before we get too carried away this thread was set up to throw some ideas around for the future series. I don't think we need to get down to specifics of categories and taking votes on them just yet.

Having done what I have so far and realise just how much time I have put into this I think we need to keep the format as simple as possible. So for me one category is enough for a series.

I think we don't need to add any more rounds to the series as ten is probably the maximum as I see it perhaps limiting the rounds in each region to with some sort of annual rotation system if there is more than 2 round in that region.

Just keep in mind that this discussion is an informal one so please don't get caught up in a serious debate on anything here

Alan

Hmmm, Alan trying to do a 'Bernie' here? B) Seriously, though, there's merit in keeping everything straight and simple - makes life less complicated - and who needs extra headaches? :) So, maybe a max of 2 races to a state will help spread the joy around. Careful selection of tracks would be an important criteria to success - just need to make sure that there's a good variation of slow, medium-fast and fast tracks included so that the series will not be dominated by one type of car. :) Similarly, choice of class of car can make or break the series - a class which will open up entry to as many brands and models of cars will, I think, stir up considerable interest among would-be entrants. :D

There, I've kept it general with no specifics :):P:lol:

Lim

I have to agree about running only the one class. I think running the two class's,I think it would detract from the series and create more organisation for all involved. Ten to twelve rounds sound fine by me. It also might be a good idea to set some rought guide lines for how the races are run. One race in the Global race was run by one person over several days (similar to Martins race last year) but over a longer period with some cars being run on the same lanes on different days, I do not think this is very good.

Phil

Edited by kalbfellp

With more people building tracks and becoming involved with slots through this board, each year there are new tracks to use if they want to be included. I know I wouldn't want to be required to tell someone their track is not included. A rotational system could work, you could have a round 2 years in a row but not 3 provided there were more tracks available than rounds in a particular area.

An overseas round is a great idea althou NZ might be easier seeing as Lim's car for the 2006 race never showed. Althou registered post could be a good way to prevent this sort of thing.

Time isn't an issue, if there are 2 to 3 weeks on average between rounds, fitting 12 to 14 rounds in a year is no probs. As for cars lasting that long, perhaps have scheduled repairs at set rounds or if a car is dying, send it back to the owner, penalty is a missed round, even if it could physically be sent, repaired and resent back before the next round.

After all, there is an endurance component to a proxy race, not just a series of sprint rounds.

I like the idea of just one class so that I can prep just one car (even though Matt's car was more of my spannering he is involved and keeps up to date with how his car is going). And whatever the class that is decided, the more variety on the track the better. I expected Proxy 07 to be full of Sloter and Fly Ferraris and was quite surprised by the variety. Next year I'm gonna do a resin body.

A thought. Maybe a standard could be to use a Plafit 32 or a slot.it chassis? and perhaps one of the many excellent bodies David Reineke does? Gotta admit I'm a sucker for a 1965 Ford Galaxie........

As for number of rounds, it'd be great to get two from each state, but failing that maximum of 12 and maybe the Auslotters from each state decide amongst themselves which tracks to put forward?

cheers!

Steve

TBDR.jpg

But like any good national series, we need to make sure that we have one race Overseas.....how does the Malaysian Proxy race sound?

Personally, I would be more than happy to get involved in organising a Malaysian round, but, realistically, it won't happen as there are no suitable available facilities here. The track which me and my fellow slot racers run on here is a sort of semi-pay track (Scalex Sport) operated by the local importer of Scalex cars who allows the "club members" to make use of the track at greatly reduced rates and usually for free (all of us had to buy at least one car from him to be classed as "member"). That would be the closest to a "club track" I can get here. :clap:

I haven't laid eyes on a routed mdf track since our slotting heydays of the 60s and although I harbour dreams of constructing one of my own, real world practicality dictates that I have to let it remain a dream - lack of space in my house rules it out (most average houses in Kuala Lumpur are much smaller than your average Aussie house in terms of built up area and land space). Even if I could coerce the hobby shop owner into allowing me to commandeer the use of his track for a day, I would have a problem getting suitably experienced non-mag drivers (there are only 4 drivers, including myself, who have driven non-mag cars before) to tackle the task of piloting the cars and even more problems getting helpers to keep the event running smoothly. And as Martin has pointed out, the postal service here is not tops in security although I have gotten round it by registering my packages (lost my brand new Scaley Ford GT 2003 when I overlooked registering it when sending to Martin for the 2005 race!). Much as I would love to have a round here, I'm afraid I will have to pass on this one. B)

Edited by chenglaw

Lim

Plus how do you get 24 model cars (that are worth a fortune to their owners) through customs without paying an even bigger fortune in duties?

SR, there's a work-around on this one. I know, I use it when I buy cars from UK, Europe and Oz. Customs don't bother too much with 1, 2 or 3 cars packed in small packages especially if their values are low (say under A$200) and I've gotten away with not paying any duty at all on my new car imports. Anyway, this is purely academic and I'm not suggesting I will be able to host a round here by doing this. :clap:

Lim

Guys, be very careful. What you have now is probably one of the best organised, run and reported on Proxy series around.

You have an average of two weeks between rounds which is just about right and your schedule of races is run strictly to time.

'

As Martin rightly said you only want to grow the series slowly and trying to run two classes or more only complicates the racing, shipping and reporting, don't dilute what you already have.

Choose your race class with care, (Your poll this year was a great idea), and make sure that both first timers and more experienced "proxyists" can compete on more or less equal terms. One inovation you might want to look at is choosing a "standard" tyre that everyone has to use....that might make things interesting!.

Keep the races within Australia, it is much less complicated that way.

Just keep doing what you're doin' and don't try to do too much...........

Regards

Alan