Sign in to follow this  
Owen

Advice Needed For Noob

G'day, I'm looking at selling up my r/c heli setup to get into a digital slotcar setup due to the ongoing costs of flying r/c heli's. I've been looking at the SCX, Scalextric and Ninco websites to try and get an idea of which would be the better brand to go with.

At the moment from what I can tell it looks like Ninco may be the better of the three?? and it appears SCX has a very limited range of cars. I am unsure what Scalextric would be like, the websites don't seem to have a great deal of info on their products and as I don't know anyone already in the hobby it would be hard to make an informed decision on which one to go with.

If anyone can give me any advice on the pros and cons between the three brands in regards to quality, product range (including tracks and cars etc) and costs plus anything lse they would consider relevant I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks, Owen...

Welcome to the forum Owen,

Well honestly my persanol choice is scalextric because you can chip any car you want and all of the stuff is really easy to get.

look mate its upto you but really no one in aus has ninco thats sort of all euro stuff...

go with scaley. :arggg:

I cant remember the blokes name but talk to Tbirds hes a really nice bloke so yeah i recomend him if you end up going with scalextric digital.

Edited by Jabob

Owen, from my understanding the ones I'd be thinking of are Scalextric and Ninco. Both of those systems allow you to "chip" cars from other systems so you can buy any damn thing.

If you go SCX or Carrera you have to buy the cars that they release specifically for your circuit.

If it were me down here in Melbourne I'd go Scaley 'cause a lot of guys seem to use it so I know I could get help to set it up properly. Scaley and Ninco use standard track when you need to expand.

Dave.

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

thanks very much for the advice guys, i guess i can narrow it down to scaley and ninco then by the sounds of things. also, is it better to buy track sets to get more track instead of buying individual track pieces?

Well if you buy the scalextric "tripal rivals" set well that would be worth doing it is 3 cars with 3 controllers ofcourse and they are all verynice cars to drive (except the maserati LOL!)

Then you can just slowly add on to it, where abouts are you from in aussie?

Edited by Jabob

Hi Owen,

Personally, I made the choice for the Ninco N-Digital system and have been very happy with it.

Initially I was going to chop up the Digi bits and add them to my Artin track but I'll be keeping the Ninco track and adding to it soon.

I've had the system since December and it has worked very well.

Only prob I had was due to a controller trigger sticking but that was quickly fixed from some info at Slot Forum, the place for anything Digital in Slots.

One thing to get used to with a Digital track is the controller response, very different from analogue.

The 104 Power Base allows some changes to the power curve, a bug in the software I believe, but all it has done is allow an extra couple of power curves.

The newer 105 Power Base has only a couple of Power curves, similar to two of the initial 104 modes.

Ninco comes off the shelf with a Lap counting Tower and a Pit Lane, both work great but do have their drawbacks.

Lap Tower looks and works great but will only give the cars position and the LCD display is not lighted so hard to see in a dark room.

The Pit lane works very well but the Fuel system seems to be time based so if you stop on the track the Fuel still runs out, not the best system but it still works.

Ninco used a Dead Strip to send the signal to change lanes, if you remember this and always put a lane changer away from any slow corners then you will have less of a chance at accidentially stopping on them.

As far as Mods go, There is info on modding your controllers and changing to the different modes on the 104 Power Base, but not much else, the system as designed runs very well straight from the box.

My biggest and only disappointment with the N-Digital system has been the initial reports that a chipped car could also run on an analogue track, which it can't.

So far that is the only drawback I've had with it.

I read this recently and it makes very good sense.

Keep in mind that different Digital systems will have different followings around the world, Scaley has a long history in the UK, USA and Aus so you will find more info and a greater following on web sites in those countries. Ninco and SCX are made in Spain, there for thier greater following will be there.

Hope this info helps

Regards

NimROD

thanks all the feedback, i'm located in Townsville. what does the SSD mean for Scalextric by the way i can't find any reference to it on their website, is it just the digital version of Scalextric?

...also i've been looking at the digital master track set from Ninco which appears to be a good deal if you are starting out with nothing. Looks like you get a decent amount of track for your money, what are everyone's thoughts on the track set?

owen ,

SSD =Scalextric Sport Digital

if you decide to go ninco , be careful as thier digital chip is larger than the equivilant scalextric one (availible in 2 sizes) and will not fit in all types of cars .

If you wish to see SSD in action follow the links in my signiture

sax